Beech sierra down KEEN

That sucks. I've flown into that airport several times. Used to be a good bbq place on the field. It's something else now, haven't been since it switched.

It’s being discussed a little on the Beech Aero Club website. If the info is accurate, it was a flight school plane being flown by an instructor and a student.

There's a video of the plane crashing in the link above. It doesn't sound like fuel exhaustion to me. This is nearby for me, RIP.

Total speculation of course doesn’t it sound like a departure stall/spin? Just based on the location of the crash and from what they said on the press conference they were using runway 2

Agreed, looking at the video it does not look like fuel exhaustion at all.

It's in a bit of a valley, and the hills around the airport are likely dark, but anyone that would fly there would know that.

Pretty good guess, you fly over the town for a couple of miles, but after that a dark abyss.

Yeah but they didn’t make it very far from the runway.
They crashed where the map says Hope Chapel not far after the airport environment.

2/20 is pretty long so surprised they were that low.
The engine sounded pretty normal to me in the video.

Will be interested in seeing what the NTSB comes up with on this one.

Sad deal. RIP

45477e030e91b57ca0e7f85c42b5d054.jpg

Just looked, there are alternative minimums for all runways there, again it's in a little bit of a hole, but it's only 360'/nm until 2000 for 02, and it's a 6200' runway. I don't think that's a big deal in any single, unless they aren't paying attention. Never had any concerns there.

Only new information I see is "both pilots were pilot rated"

How about "IFR" pilot rated? Night flying in New England is IFR flying.

I flew into there the next day and on departure had a Canadian goose pass in front of me. He was pretty big. I could see a bird strike at night after departure being a huge problem. Pure speculation but given they were both IFR rated seems like spacial disorientation right after takeoff would be unlikely. Obviously a mechanical failure of some sort is also a possibility. Always sad to see these and to me the worse outcome are those events where pilot did everything right and just had a SOL situation occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything says a Beech Sierra but if you look at Flightaware, that plane hasn't flown in a while but their Piper Cherokee N43337 was right over the accident site at the time of the crash. Perhaps NTSB has the wrong tail number?

Plane crash fatalities are like gun use fatalities. Guaranteed national news.

Plane crash fatalities are like gun use fatalities. Guaranteed national news.

2 dead, 8 people burned out of their homes, spared by only a few feet basically. Pretty newsworthy to me. I hope they are able to definitively figure out what happened here.

Everything says a Beech Sierra but if you look at Flightaware, that plane hasn't flown in a while but their Piper Cherokee N43337 was right over the accident site at the time of the crash. Perhaps NTSB has the wrong tail number?

N43337 has flown since the accident so doesn’t look like that could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one hits close to home because I fly a similar aircraft, and similar paint scheme to the accident aircraft.

the epiphany I had from this accident that I want to share here:
The purpose of Having a longer runway is not to “use the whole runway to takeoff”; it’s so you can set an abort point (about halfway, or whatever). I’ve often asked for longer runways, or back-taxid to get more runway at unfamiliar airports… but what am I really doing with that extra length ?
Too often we get into a “continuation bias” and think “as long as the engine is running just keep flying the airplane”. But at some point have to be willing to abort. If we don’t decide on an abort point, we end up with “continuation bias” to keep flying a weak engine (or overloaded aircraft) off the end of the runway and past the airport fence.

disclaimer: not a CFI, just my thoughts from seeing this accident.

Agreed. I might very well have done the same thing. If the wheels make it off the ground, I would likely have nursed it along with the idea that the engine would smooth out and everything would be fine. It probably won't.

We are all "mission oriented." When somebody calls and asks me to pick them up after they've dropped off their airplane for maintenance, I think "Great! I have a mission." It takes a lot of mental discipline to abandon that thinking in favor of landing on the runway right ahead of you.

Thank you for being honest.

It’s important to brief what will be done under certain situations and execute them when it happens. It’s like the powerful mantra that some pilots use, “I’m going to abort this takeoff” as you start the takeoff roll only to not do so because, surprise, everything worked like it should. Until the mind is mentally prepared to take action (in this case aborting the takeoff with sufficient runway remaining when something is not working right) we’ll continue to revert to carrying out “the mission”.

Thank you for being honest.

It’s important to brief what will be done under certain situations and execute them when it happens. It’s like the powerful mantra that some pilots use, “I’m going to abort this takeoff” as you start the takeoff roll only to not do so because, surprise, everything worked like it should. Until the mind is mentally prepared to take action (in this case aborting the takeoff with sufficient runway remaining when something is not working right) we’ll continue to revert to carrying out “the mission”.

Bit confused … if everything is working correctly the takeoff will continue as briefed. Instruments green, airspeed alive, normal power. Of course, no need to abort.

Only rejected one takeoff. Airspeed went through 40 something knots then died off. Most likely a bug got lodged in the pitot tube.

Always be prepared to reject the takeoff. Probably what your point was. :)

Back