Beech owners- preferred iPad mounting?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
For those that fly older Beech airplanes, what is your preferred method for mounting iPads and portable GPS?

Look like there are two styles, the clamp on RAM style mount and one made by Angerole that attaches directly to the yoke arm.

I am looking to mount both an iPad (Jepp FD and ForeFilght) and a Garmin Aera 510 on a dual yoke arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

In the A36 I fly I prefer the RAM band style clamp just to the left of the center. Great placement for a full-sized iPad.

I like the ram strap, and use it myself.

The angerole is a one-time mounting, and in other peoples' planes that I have flown with such a mount, it was not my preferred choice of mounting. That said, if I was the one mounting the angerole, I'd have "got it right" -- so I don't mind the angerole mount on its own :)

Of c ourse hardware changes over time, and a ram strap is real darn easy to adjust and relocate on whim, or on hardware upgrade.

One of the things I was thinking about was getting the Angerole mount for the Garmin (which places the GPS directly above the yoke and then using the RAM clamp for the iPad.

Other option is to put the Garmin on the yoke arm with the RAM mount and use my kneeboard mount for the iPad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd mount the 510 in the center (it's where my AV8OR is) and mount the iPad in the passenger's seat or if occupied, the passengers hands.

Did you buy a Bo? Baron?

There is a link to the ad in the LOP Noob thread. Be a couple weeks to address the squawks from the Pre-buy before it is officially mine.

Nice lookin' rig.

I went down the "where do I mount the iPad" road, I have a panel similar to yours, the 530 handles the navigating duties and I have an AV8OR that mounts on the big round tube coming of of the center of the panel that I use to "mess with" when I don't want to mess with the 530. That works great. I couldn't find a spot for the iPad that wasn't more of a hinderance than help.
I toss it in the PAX seat and pick it up if need be. I view the iPad as more of a paper product replacement than a GPS replacement. I never mounted a sectional or an AFD to the panel. My wife is also good at running the iPad, so when she's in there with me, she handles iPad duties.

Nice lookin' rig.

I went down the "where do I mount the iPad" road, I have a panel similar to yours, the 530 handles the navigating duties and I have an AV8OR that mounts on the big round tube coming of of the center of the panel that I use to "mess with" when I don't want to mess with the 530. That works great. I couldn't find a spot for the iPad that wasn't more of a hinderance than help.
I toss it in the PAX seat and pick it up if need be. I view the iPad as more of a paper product replacement than a GPS replacement. I never mounted a sectional or an AFD to the panel. My wife is also good at running the iPad, so when she's in there with me, she handles iPad duties.
It's been a couple years since I flew a Travel air with the dual arm yoke and I am having trouble remembering if there is enough clearance on the yoke arm to not interfere with a kneeboard?

Now here's the Cadillac, and it's less than $3000! You'd be a sport with one of these:

fd-yoke-mount.jpg

Now here's the Cadillac, and it's less than $3000! You'd be a sport with one of these:
If only I had 28VDC.

For that price, you'd think it would come with some kind of TSO or certify your ipad for IFR navigation.

I wonder how many of those things they have actually sold.

Even the 135 turbine crowd seems plenty okay with RAM suction mounts.

Back