Beech lands on I-26 near Columbia, SC

news said:
although Ron Mims won't admit it, he's lucky to be alive.
I hate the media. He says that he was calm and it was no big deal. Media says he is lieing and lucky he is alive.

Thanks for posting Bill. Wonder what happened.

Another guy on the Bonanza board landed after a rod made a three inch hole in the side of his engine case. Also landed without incident. He posted his experience below.

Max Grogan
V35B N1512W
Knoxville, TN

http://fatboyzaviation.com/

Best,

Dave

In the interview he said the tanks had fuel in them, so it sounds like he's trying to dispel the idea that the engine failure was his fault... someone on the Red Board said that they saw someone refueling it... but that is just hearsay, so I'll wait for more information, but investigators did state that the aircraft was out of fuel.

Well something sounds fishy! He ran out of fuel bit had fuel when he left? Hmmm A&P says plane is safe to fly. Not if it had a fuel leak. I guess one of the pitcocks could have gotten stuck open and the fuel just drained out then it sprang back closed upon the once over on the side of the Highway. Bill keep us informed on what you learn on this one.

Well, there can be several reasons this could happen besides an empty tank, as y'all know. Dirty screen; fuel filter, fuel line, water in the tank, etc. Doesn't sound good though.

Best,

Dave

wbarnhill said:
In the interview he said the tanks had fuel in them, so it sounds like he's trying to dispel the idea that the engine failure was his fault... someone on the Red Board said that they saw someone refueling it... but that is just hearsay, so I'll wait for more information, but investigators did state that the aircraft was out of fuel.

It's not hearsay... watch the videos attached to the second news story in the first post; he's standing there pouring gas into the wings with a red 5-gallon gas can.

They say he landed "out of fuel" (engine sputtered and died) right after departing the airport. Hmmmm. Short of a stuck-open fuel drain and a LONG time on the ground and not checking the tanks during the preflight, it's hard to see how that would happen.

In the video, he says it was no big deal, he's been training for just such an emergency for years. Sounds to me like he needs to train for a better preflight routine!

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks for posting Bill. Wonder what happened.

Another guy on the Bonanza board landed after a rod made a three inch hole in the side of his engine case. Also landed without incident. He posted his experience below.

Max Grogan
V35B N1512W
Knoxville, TN

http://fatboyzaviation.com/

Best,

Dave

Dave,
I once saw a Bonanza at the Algona, IA airport KAXA that had landed early in the morning on a nearby road due to the exact same type of failure. Hole in the top of the case just like this one. Mechanic said it looked like the guy had been running the engine too lean and the case couldnt take the heat. pistons were apparently blackened. If i remember correctly of course...

tonycondon said:
Dave,
I once saw a Bonanza at the Algona, IA airport KAXA that had landed early in the morning on a nearby road due to the exact same type of failure. Hole in the top of the case just like this one. Mechanic said it looked like the guy had been running the engine too lean and the case couldnt take the heat. pistons were apparently blackened. If i remember correctly of course...

Mechanics are apt to blame almost any engine failure on lean running. AFaIK a rod coming through the crankcase is much more likely to be lubrication related. Of course I could be wrong as I've never lost an engine that way.

Back