Beech baron 55. Training for a big guy.

philly3229

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
phillyman
hello all! I am a 26 year old pilot with my instrument rating. All my training has been done in a C172. I am considering starting my commercial multi in a beech baron 55. I am wondering if anyone has experience in this plane and would be willing to share how comfortable the cockpit is for a larger guy compared to a c172. I am about 240lbs and 6 ft tall. I have looked up the width of the be55 and know it is only a few inches wider than the c172 but was hoping to get some first hand opinions. Is it comfortable enough for myself and a CFI? This is really a big decision for me. A lot of money and I really would like to know if the cockpit is wide enough for myself and the CFI to be comfortable (relatively) while I do this training. Not the biggest fan of the idea of entering the plane through one door either.

Thanks so much !!

sometimes the shape of the plane has a lot to do with the interior feel even if the width is technically wider or narrower, my 182 is narrower than some planes I've sat in yet I feel I have more space in it, and vice versa, I'd recommend getting in one before going forth with it! I have a friend who has G58 baron, and he is about 6"5 and probably in the 240-260 range and he looks more than comfy in in the plane.

I was twin shopping recently and tried the B58 (stretched B55) No way. I am 200lbs and 6'1" and I couldn't even sit straight in the left seat without hitting my head against the window frame and rubbing my head against the headliner. On top of that the cockpit is very narrow. Bumped elbows with the other pilot. They are nice looking planes and quick but for small framed pilots.
I ended up buying a Cessna 310. Good wide cockpit while retaining reasonable performance numbers.

Recommend a short flight, or at least sit in one, before you make up your mind.

However, I am 6'-4" & about 235 lbs and my experience similar to mapasha. Tried on a couple of Baron B55s when I was twin shopping. Front seats are on top of the wing spar. Not enough headroom for me, made worse by the narrow cockpit and the curve into the top of the fuselage. Bought an Aztec instead and although slower and uses more fuel, it has an incredible amount of comfortable interior room and hauls a bigger load - but its not really an economical twin trainer.

There might be a nice C310 available one of these days from EggMan on here! At least he says it's nice. ;):)
Bigger cabin but I'd advised getting an R model 310. Has a cargo bin in the nose which helps in W&B. Plus it looks sleeker and better.

I took off in a A36 Bonanza from Destin to Montgomery, around 115 miles, normal cruise setting. A Baron took off right behind me and didn't pass by until we were around 15-20 miles south of MGM. I was on final when he cleared at the end. What I saying is on a short run not much speed advantage over a SE.

There might be a nice C310 available one of these days from EggMan on here! At least he says it's nice. ;):)
Bigger cabin but I'd advised getting an R model 310. Has a cargo bin in the nose which helps in W&B. Plus it looks sleeker and better.

I took off in a A36 Bonanza from Destin to Montgomery, around 115 miles, normal cruise setting. A Baron took off right behind me and didn't pass by until we were around 15-20 miles south of MGM. I was on final when he cleared at the end. What I saying is on a short run not much speed advantage over a SE.

I take it you haven't seen it???:D

I've always been quite comfortable in Barons. Never been under 6' tall flying one, and had a David Clark headband on to of my head for a coup'e thousand hours. Lightest I ever was is about 210...as high as 250, with similar-sized people next to me on occasion.

I've always been quite comfortable in Barons. Never been under 6' tall flying one, and had a David Clark headband on to of my head for a coup'e thousand hours. Lightest I ever was is about 210...as high as 250, with similar-sized people next to me on occasion.

The Bonanza fuselage was designed in the 1940s, a time when people were on average a wee bit smaller than today.

Have a brother who is the same height as me, short torso, long legs. I'm the opposite. I wish I was comfortable and had the headroom in a Baron; a 58 with boots would have been the perfect twin for what I do.

Nope. But I've seen pics of it on here! :D

We need to figure out how to steal Ted's engines and bolt them on to Eggman's aeroplane and create the ultimate POA 310 rocket ship.

I've been thinking a couple of PT6s under the wings would get a little attention at Oshkosh! Sorta like the first time I saw Franklin in that bi-wing w/ the jet engine at SunNFun.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it. Anyone have a better more comfortable experience in a duchess? There is one available somewhat close to my home airport. Local fbo at my airport just sold their 310 and I just took my written and bummed about that :(

Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it. Anyone have a better more comfortable experience in a duchess? There is one available somewhat close to my home airport. Local fbo at my airport just sold their 310 and I just took my written and bummed about that :(

The only person I ever met that flew a Duchess was John Roncz, and he's a lot shorter and rounder than me. I think that's a Beech Musketeer fuselage, so probably roomier than a Bonanza/Baron fuselage. Everybody is different shaped and different tolerances; you really need to "test fit" an aeroplane to see how you respond to being in it.

I'm 6'6" and 280. I have flown 58's $ 55's. I want to buy one. I personally found there to be enough adjustment in the seat for a comfortable ride. Don't try a piper Cheyenne those things were like a torture chamber for me. Very uncomfortable. I would recommend sitting in the plane you're considering to see for yourself.

It really depends on the individual aircraft. When I flew beech Jets the company had an early sn Mitsubishi jet. They were the same airframe as the Beecher but the seats were not adjustable in all the ways as the seats in the beech version. I couldn't fly the Mitsubishi.

Back