Bedford, MA (KBED) Fees

N50909

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
TexASH Pilot
It no secret KBED is a fee-happy place, but my CFII told me tonight they're taking it to a new level.

They now charge a landing fee for touch and goes. The flight school received a bill in the mail for $20 for a couple of touch and goes done two weeks ago. Apparently the tower keeps track and Massport then sends a bill.

So be warned... don't touch your wheels down at KBED unless you're willing to pay up.

The FBO charged me a $5 ramp fee for purchasing their gas.
Live and Learn.

welcome to the world of GA user fees.

MAssport just doesn't want us at their airport.

You have got to be kidding me! I fly out of there almost every day and I've never heard of such a thing. I would guess they do it because the place is so insanely busy sometimes and they are trying to dissuade air traffic from there.
I would never recommend BED to anyone for any reason due to landing and FBO fees.
I would like to stick up for the ATC folks there though. They're worth every penny they get. I've been around when they are handling planes doing T/Gs in both left and right pattern, six people lined up to depart, arriving VFR traffic from the north west and south, jets flying in IFR from all over...all at the same time. It's pretty remarkable how they keep it together.

I would like to stick up for the ATC folks there though. They're worth every penny they get. I've been around when they are handling planes doing T/Gs in both left and right pattern, six people lined up to depart, arriving VFR traffic from the north west and south, jets flying in IFR from all over...all at the same time. It's pretty remarkable how they keep it together.
Yup, I would agree. Tower works thier butts off and earn every penny of their paychecks.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've only been there on one occasion: night cross-country(Dual). A nicer(apparently) visit is to Beverly Airport where there is a nice little restaurant. However, it's been several years since I was there(see photo). Is that part of Massport's "have to have a prop-lock" scenario these days?

HR

Attachments

• N7872G at BVY.JPG
    N7872G at BVY.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 15
Charging for Touch and Goes is common in user fee environments. In the UK pilot mags you will sometimes get coupons for a free landing or two free touch and goes. This is what our future will be like if we are not careful.

Thanks for the heads-up. I've only been there on one occasion: night cross-country(Dual). A nicer(apparently) visit is to Beverly Airport where there is a nice little restaurant. However, it's been several years since I was there(see photo). Is that part of Massport's "have to have a prop-lock" scenario these days?

HR

As far as I know, yes, this is a Massport "prop-lock" type rule that Beverly and Worcester are apparently ignoring.

Personally, it doesn't seem like a local municipality has the right to demand payment for use of an airport that's supported by FAA money.

I'm just curious, what are they allowed to do to you if you don't pay?

Dave when I said unfriendly I was referring to my experience at the FBO not the Tower folks.

Dave when I said unfriendly I was referring to my experience at the FBO not the Tower folks.
i know. it's all good. i just wanted to speak up for the tower folks.

Nice link, thanks.

As for waiving fees, they didn't do it for me last time (2006) I visited at got gas (10 gals) I was hit with a ramp fee (aka parking I guess) and a handling fee on top of my $6 a gallon gas purchase. Never went back.

What surprised me most was the night/early usage fees, especially if you do it more than 5 times in a year! YIKES.

What surprised me most was the night/early usage fees, especially if you do it more than 5 times in a year! YIKES.
Yeah, that's not an airport fee, that's a "keep the neighbors happy" fee. What a ripoff.

Yeah, that's been a major pain for me a few times when trying to get back from out of town gigs at 2am. I've heard of a few pilots landing there after hours with all their lights off and not announcing on CTAF to try and get away from paying the massport fees.

Back