Bed Bugs

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
The cabin I stayed in for a couple of day had bed bugs. At least that is what I am calling the things. They were sorta like noseeums but these only attacked in bed. I woke up with bites on my feet, ankles, and arms. I slept in long PJ bottoms and a t-shirt. I never saw the bugs but the little bites would itch and, turn red and then scab up.

On the third day, I had moved out of the cabin but in the afternoon I started to feel ill, flu like symptoms occurred. I had a little dizziness, achy joints and fatigue. I think I also had slight fever as I was chilled and when this started pass had a fever break episode where I was then too warm. This lastest for two days. But no one else has gotten sick. I was the most bite of the group.

So two questions. First do you think this is a result of the bug bites? Two should I do anything? I did not find any ticks on me so I am not worried about lime but should I be?

First do you think this is a result of the bug bites? Two should I do anything? I did not find any ticks on me so I am not worried about lime but should I be?
According to Wiki, no you should not have to do anything as the bedbug is not known to transmit diseases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_bugs

Then again, consider the source.

-Skip

Yes, don't stay at that cabin again.:D Hope you get to feeling better soon.
:D:D:D

Wilco

this was one of the worst experiences I have had with these things outside of a trip to Honduras. But I have also run into them in some nice 5-star places as well. At least there you can complain and get a new room.

Scott beware!!! If they truly were bed bugs, delouse everything you had at the cabin. There have been many a case where folks got bed bugs during hotel stays and bought them home with them in thier clothing. They are not easy to get rid of. Take Prompt action.

I was attacked by bed bugs in a very nice hotel in Boise. I was reasonably nice about it, but they wouldn't even refund my money! Gross!

Travel supply shops sre now selling liners (kind of like a sleeping bag with no insulation) to wear between you and the hotel bedding / bedbugs.

Scott beware!!! If they truly were bed bugs, delouse everything you had at the cabin. There have been many a case where folks got bed bugs during hotel stays and bought them home with them in thier clothing. They are not easy to get rid of. Take Prompt action.
No problems once we left the cabin (5 days ago) and we only had problems in the beds. No one had any bits from laying on the sofa or the floor.

No problems once we left the cabin (5 days ago) and we only had problems in the beds. No one had any bits from laying on the sofa or the floor.

Could have been bed bugs, or could have been fleas, who knows.

Bed bugs! :yes: Scott, I would follow Adam's advice to the letter. Once you get them in your house, it's almost impossible to get rid of them. Don't worry, they don't transmit any conditions, not yet at least. Your short-lived illness was the result of a hypersensitivity reaction. You probably react like that to other insect bites and minor illnesses too.

It sounds as though you were able to see these nasty critters and don't think they were ticks.

However, your description of your symptoms is somewhat worrisome for the early manifestations of Lyme disease. More prevalent in the midwest to northeast, Lyme disease is transmitted to humans via tick bites. (Most commonly deer ticks.)

Early Lyme Disease: The early stage of Lyme disease is usually marked by one or more of the following symptoms and signs:

• fatigue
  • chills and fever
  • headache
  • muscle and joint pain
  • swollen lymph nodes
  • a characteristic skin rash, called erythema migrans
Especially if you have that characteristic rash (an expanding red "bulls-eye", clear in the center), you should see your physician. Early infections of Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics, and can prevent the progression of it into a chronic debilitating condition.

For more information: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/

Mike H., M.D.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back