Becoming an Ag Pilot....

Other potential flying jobs that may be done in single engine pistons (some of which have been mentioned) would include

• banner towing,
  • jump plane,
  • aerial photography,
  • airplane sales/demo flights,
  • freight hauling (used to be flying checks, but I'm sure someone still flies cargo),
  • flight instruction,
  • air taxi ("part 135"),
  • mile high rides,
  • air shows
  • and air tours.
I don't think many (any?) of these are going to make you rich, but they may spark some ideas. You'll certainly be looking at some significant training for some of them (not so much for others). Having a good paying job to allow you to do all the flying necessary to learn would be helpful! :)

Last edited:
Other potential flying jobs that may be done in single engine pistons (some of which have been mentioned) would include

• banner towing,
  • jump plane,
  • aerial photography,
  • airplane sales/demo flights,
  • freight hauling (used to be flying checks, but I'm sure someone still flies cargo),
  • flight instruction,
  • air taxi ("part 135"),
  • mile high rides,
  • air shows
  • and air tours.
I don't think many (any?) of these are going to make you rich, but they may spark some ideas. You'll certainly be looking at some significant training for some of them (not so much for others). Having a good paying job to allow you to do all the flying necessary to learn would be helpful! :)

Thanks!!
I'm not looking to get rich. I just want to make enough to provide for me and a family (if/when that happens).

Lets not forget GLIDER towing. Hanging around with a bunch of glider jockeys all the live long day is one of the best aviation experiences you can have. You might even end up grooving on soaring.

Lets not forget GLIDER towing. Hanging around with a bunch of glider jockeys all the live long day is one of the best aviation experiences you can have. You might even end up grooving on soaring.
Dang, I thought I included that! My bad. But then again, aren't they frequently towed by club members at no pay?

Yup, lots of NO PAY in the glider scene sadly. But, commercial operators do pay tow pilots, not a lot but it is a great starter job in aviation.

Thanks!!
I'm not looking to get rich. I just want to make enough to provide for me and a family (if/when that happens).

Forget flying for a living then, it'll barely keep Ramen noodles for one in the cupboard....:nonod::nonod::nonod:

So what kind of Single Engine planes will I be flying in Charter Piloting?
Is that hard/needs lots of special to do?

So what kind of Single Engine planes will I be flying in Charter Piloting?
Is that hard/needs lots of special to do?

There aren't a whole lot of singles used for charters, but those that are range anywhere from a Cessna 172 all the way up to the Pilatus PC12, TBM's, and one of these years the PJ's (Cirrus SF50, PiperJet, Diamond D-Jet, etc.) will start getting certified as well. So, lots to pick from!

Nothing's stopping you from getting your multi rating and flying those charters as well.

For me, there is just something about looking through the prop while flying. I like Single engine planes.

Would a Money Bravo, or SR20 do well in Charters?

For me, there is just something about looking through the prop while flying. I like Single engine planes.

Would a Money Bravo, or SR20 do well in Charters?
There's a guy in Georgia doing charters in a (or maybe a couple of) SR22(s). Seems to be doing okkay.

Cool. I'd like to try to go for something like that.
Do I need any Special Training?

Back