Becoming a CFI question

DaytonaLynn

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
One who misses Daytona!
I value the input I get for my questions on the POA.
Here is one I need some help thinking through.
I am part of a partnership that is more like a flying club. You become a "partner" with a $1,000 deposit and guarantee to fly 15 hours in the first year. (That's the short of it) we have a 172 and 182
Here is the dilemma
We don't really have any instructors to check ride new people out or to check ride out of currency people, every 90 days they have to fly at least once.
Then there may be opportunity to do some instructions for a new student as well.
I am 60 years old and a been flying again now for 2 years after a fairly long layoff.
I would be very interested on what your thoughts are on
1. Is the age an issue
2. What you see as a need for new CFI's - I have no ambition to move on to anything but possible instruction
The owner of the planes is pushing me to think about it.
Our planes are at an airport that has no CFI's and getting one to come out is a major issue right now. They either come come from DWH or N. Houston.
Anyway, I am just curious if, in your opinions it would be worth my time and effort to pursue!
Thanks for any and all input.

I value the input I get for my questions on the POA.
Here is one I need some help thinking through.
I am part of a partnership that is more like a flying club. You become a "partner" with a $1,000 deposit and guarantee to fly 15 hours in the first year. (That's the short of it) we have a 172 and 182
Here is the dilemma
We don't really have any instructors to check ride new people out or to check ride out of currency people, every 90 days they have to fly at least once.
Then there may be opportunity to do some instructions for a new student as well.
I am 60 years old and a been flying again now for 2 years after a fairly long layoff.
I would be very interested on what your thoughts are on
1. Is the age an issue
2. What you see as a need for new CFI's - I have no ambition to move on to anything but possible instruction
The owner of the planes is pushing me to think about it.
Our planes are at an airport that has no CFI's and getting one to come out is a major issue right now. They either come come from DWH or N. Houston.
Anyway, I am just curious if, in your opinions it would be worth my time and effort to pursue!

Checkrides are not given by CFIs. They are given by DPEs. You don't have to be a CFI to be a DPE, but you can be a CFI and be a DPE.

Checkrides are not given by CFIs. They are given by DPEs. You don't have to be a CFI to be a DPE, but you can be a CFI and be a DPE.

I think he means checkouts. For people who haven't flown in the past X days (usually 60 or 90) and are wouldn't be covered under an insurance policy without a new checkout.

For what it's worth, my instructor is (just about to turn) 60. And my long-term plans include becoming a CFI/CFII but not for the income. I expect most of the instructing I'll do will be checkouts and BFRs for other club members, with maybe the occasional club member interested in pursuing an instrument rating.

My guess is that it won't generate much income for you, but could cover some of your flying and would provide what seems like a much needed service to other club members. I say go for it! :yes:

Sounds easier to recruit a freelance CFI.

Are you asking about going from PP to CFI? Do you have your instrument rating or commercial certificate?

The process to become a CFI is not an easy one. You really have to want to teach. It takes time and lots of studying and teaching. If you don't have the instrument or commercial, you'll have to have work on getting them as well. Lastly, you'll need access to a plane that can be spun as well as a complex.

I don't know your situation. Only you can say whether it's worth it or not.
BTW, in these parts, I can't swing a dead cat without hitting a CFI standing around. Interesting that there are so few.

A check airman (airplane) is a person who is qualified, and permitted, to conduct flight checks or instruction in an airplane, in a flight simulator, or in a flight training device for a particular type airplane.

A test for a certificate or rating is called a practical test, not a check ride.

I think age is a benefit. Wisdom doesn't come easy.
If there are no cfi's, there is no guarantee one won't move in while your training. So, if the immediate benefits go away, is it still something you would enjoy doing. There are plenty of cfi's that are in it for the hours. Adding one that is in it for the love of flying and teaching is most welcome.

DaytonaLynn

You came to the right place for a vocabulary lesson. Once you get that cleared up, it comes down to your skills at teaching. Some are great at it. Some of the best pilots in the country hold the rating but stink at teaching. I agree with those who relate teaching skills to love of teaching.

I think the CFI certificate has the greatest responsibility of any in flying and if you sincerely want to teach then you should pursue it wholeheartedly. There will be plenty of people who weed you out if there are concerns about your ability.

Now about that vocab lesson . . .

Good luck
Scott

Sounds easier to recruit a freelance CFI.

That has not been as easy as you think. Most won't fight the Houston traffic to get there. Plus those that were willing tacked on time to come so the cost of instructor was nearly the cost of the rental.

It has not been easy.

DaytonaLynn

You came to the right place for a vocabulary lesson. Once you get that cleared up, it comes down to your skills at teaching. Some are great at it. Some of the best pilots in the country hold the rating but stink at teaching. I agree with those who relate teaching skills to love of teaching.

I think the CFI certificate has the greatest responsibility of any in flying and if you sincerely want to teach then you should pursue it wholeheartedly. There will be plenty of people who weed you out if there are concerns about your ability.

Now about that vocab lesson . . .

Good luck
Scott

Hahah I had a mother in law, so the vocabulary is a challenge. But most of you knew what I meant.
But I'll keep the FAA dictionary handy!

1. Is the age an issue
It sure is -- age and experience (both in flying and in life) usually make better instructors. So, you're in good shape on that score.

It seems to me that there's always a need for mature, competent instructors whose focus is on teaching rather than building hours. You won't get rich at it, but for someone our age, it can be a great supplemental income as well as a way to meet new people who share your love of flying and start younger folks on their flying vocation or avocation.

Given the right attitude (interest in teaching) and understanding that you aren't going to make a fortune doing it, I think it will be well worth your time and effort.

Based off the gent I did my primary instruction with, you still have a an opportunity for a 25 year career in flight instruction ;) .

2 of my partners are CFIs, neither of them routinely instructs outside of the partnership (checkouts, BFRs/IPCs).

If you limit your instructin to the partnership, this won't make much financial sense. Once you have the ticket, you would also have to look for insurance to cover you while you instruct in the club planes (either through the clubs insurance or a non-owned CFI policy). If you have the non-owned coverage, you should be able to pick up other instruction work around the airport. There can at times be issues with the airport authority, look whether they have a 'uniform commercial standards' policy that covers 'aeronautical service providers'. Sometimes FBOs will use such policies to keep freelance instructors away, even if it is not a service they provide themselves.

Last edited:

By the way, if the DPE has a designation for a category that requires CFI certificates to instruct (such as airplanes), the DPE needs to also hold a CFI certificate.

...I am 60 years old and a been flying again now for 2 years after a fairly long layoff.
The first thing that comes to mind is where are you on the requirements? Hours? Do you have your commercial? Keep in mind that you can get ground instructor certified fairly easily and it will give you a good starting point. It will get you thinking like an instructor and will force you to have a very good understanding of the written material.

BTW, I kick myself every six months for not having moved forward on my plans to go down this road...

Jim

It sure is -- age and experience (both in flying and in life) usually make better instructors. So, you're in good shape on that score.

It seems to me that there's always a need for mature, competent instructors whose focus is on teaching rather than building hours. You won't get rich at it, but for someone our age, it can be a great supplemental income as well as a way to meet new people who share your love of flying and start younger folks on their flying vocation or avocation.

Given the right attitude (interest in teaching) and understanding that you aren't going to make a fortune doing it, I think it will be well worth your time and effort.

Thanks Cpt
I have other business interests so it won't be a "need" to make money. I would just do it for the sheer enjoyment.
As an aside I have taught other things as well, like motorcycle training for state endorsements and property management courses, and people to paint landscape pictures that Bob Ross used to do on tv with his Happy Trees.

I was not really considering it but this owner keeps bringing it up.
I have 300 hours, no CPL yet, heck I was just working on IR.

Thanks for the sage advice.

Thanks Cpt
I have other business interests so it won't be a "need" to make money. I would just do it for the sheer enjoyment.
As an aside I have taught other things as well, like motorcycle training for state endorsements and property management courses, and people to paint landscape pictures that Bob Ross used to do on tv with his Happy Trees.

I was not really considering it but this owner keeps bringing it up.
I have 300 hours, no CPL yet, heck I was just working on IR.

Thanks for the sage advice.

Yeah commute doesn't sound fun, I might have missed what you have on ticket, it might be a bit of work if you also have to get your instrument.

Ether way go for it, don't rush anything and enjoy the ride.

Another thought is to run a search on the airman registry, there might be a CFI out there that you just don't know about.

Back