Become an Elite member of AvWxWorkshops.com for $39!

Scott,

Having never been to a course (but watching for something somewhere near Denver... you keep going around or over this particular fly-over State... GRIN...), and not a current member... you have any "samples" of the type of stuff the membership offers?

If not, maybe some other folks could hint at some things you've learned from being members... that you couldn't have learned elsewhere...?

Just kicking the tires...

Adobe Flash is required.

Bah...! :)

Okay, will check 'em out Scott. Your posts here have been enough to convince me you know your stuff.

Just going to have to see if the membership "fits" for me. I love weather geekiness, so it might.

Wish I flew for a living, it'd be a nice business-related tax write-off (hint for those reading along who DO get paid to fly...).

Minor thread drift... But did you and Spike ever get the Dallas workshop setup?

No. I've been attempting to work through a CFI friend in the Arlington area and am having difficulty with finding an acceptable place to hold the workshop. Ideally it would be at a hotel right on the field (or within walking distance from the FBO). Most of the FBOs in the area don't have the classrooms to support an audience of up to 30 people. So, I've essentially given up on a Dallas workshop.

How about one of the hotels across the street from Alliance (KAFW)? I bet the FBO there has a room... Easier airport to fly into, as well.

As a current subscriber, I'll vouch for the weather geekiness and quality of Scott's programs. AND, I was pleasantly surprised by how often he posts new content--seems at least one new thing per week, on average. I often find I get behind, being busy with work, and end up with two or three new workshops still in my inbox, starred, waiting to be watched.

This looks like a great deal.

OT: Have you considered selling this content through iTunes?

No. I've been attempting to work through a CFI friend in the Arlington area and am having difficulty with finding an acceptable place to hold the workshop. Ideally it would be at a hotel right on the field (or within walking distance from the FBO). Most of the FBOs in the area don't have the classrooms to support an audience of up to 30 people. So, I've essentially given up on a Dallas workshop.

How about one of the hotels across the street from Alliance (KAFW)? I bet the FBO there has a room... Easier airport to fly into, as well.

That's a good idea. I don't know about the FBO's facility for meeting room, but the building is large enough to have that room stashed somewhere.

And there have been lots of new properties around KAFW as they build out for NASCAR plus normal people expansion.

An additional plus is the friendly tower crew. We might even get some of them to join the class. And I bet a "field trip" up to the cab could be arranged.

Two additional alternatives. There is the Raddison very close to Meacham that is the same place that the AOPA Air Safety Institute holds their events. Within 3/4-mile of the field, nice property, nice meeting rooms.

US Flight Academy @ KDTO (Denton, TX) completed a major renovation of their facility last year. They added two large classrooms that could hold 50 folks comfortably. Lots of newer hotel properties in the area that could be talked to for a decent block rate. USFA has 4 or 5 15-passenger shuttle vans available. All hotel properties worth talking to will do shuttles to/from airport. Plenty of parking for cars and aircraft. One of the better priced fuelers on the field. Possible cross-promotion to their CFI's and domestic students (and their international students) to permit either a larger class than normal (aka more revenue for you) or an extended engagement or a return engagement.

For Denton, I'd be willing to volunteer as a "boots on the ground" helper if you toss me a decent bone. Bet I could get Troy and some others to help as well.

Last edited:
I have considered offering podcasts. Much of weather is very graphical, so the podcasts would have to be sensitive to providing information without the need for graphics. Would someone buy a 5 minute podcast on a weather topic for $1.99? 10 minute?

This is sort of where I was going; video podcasts with simple slideshow type graphics, 5 or 10 minutes long. Given the number of folks with iPads as EFBs, it might be worth transcoding the flash...

I'll try to stop by USFA soon and make inquiries.

Two additional alternatives. There is the Raddison very close to Meacham that is the same place that the AOPA Air Safety Institute holds their events. Within 3/4-mile of the field, nice property, nice meeting rooms.

US Flight Academy @ KDTO (Denton, TX) completed a major renovation of their facility last year. They added two large classrooms that could hold 50 folks comfortably. Lots of newer hotel properties in the area that could be talked to for a decent block rate. USFA has 4 or 5 15-passenger shuttle vans available. All hotel properties worth talking to will do shuttles to/from airport. Plenty of parking for cars and aircraft. One of the better priced fuelers on the field. Possible cross-promotion to their CFI's and domestic students (and their international students) to permit either a larger class than normal (aka more revenue for you) or an extended engagement or a return engagement.

For Denton, I'd be willing to volunteer as a "boots on the ground" helper if you toss me a decent bone. Bet I could get Troy and some others to help as well.

GREAT call on the Radisson... and Denton is a good option too.

I helped Scott get a room at the KFTW terminal for his first seminar here in the area, but that was years ago and the room wasn't exactly as we'd hoped it would be--it worked, but Scott deserves better.

And yes, would be happy to help as boots on the ground again!

Thanks for the extension. I had forgotten to sign up before the deadline. Took care of it now.

(this also serves to bump the thread back onto the "unread posts" list for other users).

Whoops. Forgot about the offer. Thanks for the extension Scott. Done.

Scott-

Just saw this- looking forward to learning a more about weather as part of my instrument training. Count me as another +1 for a live seminar in DFW. I'm reaching out to someone at RBD to see if there's a facility on the airport that would work. There's a restaurant on the field as well; I suspect we could work out catering as well.

October is pretty nice in north Texas. Would the corner of a nice corporate hangar work?

Regards,
Scott

Scott-

Just saw this- looking forward to learning a more about weather as part of my instrument training. Count me as another +1 for a live seminar in DFW. I'm reaching out to someone at RBD to see if there's a facility on the airport that would work. There's a restaurant on the field as well; I suspect we could work out catering as well.

October is pretty nice in north Texas. Would the corner of a nice corporate hangar work?

Regards,
Scott

I already received a response. Dallas Executive Airport has conference rooms to support meetings of up to 120 people. Scott- I'll reach out to you directly via email.

Okay, but I've already talked to these folks. Would not be a good fit due to the costs for these rooms plus insurance. Thanks for trying!

Help us out as we call around; what's your budget for a room, per day, all in?

This post is also a bump to the top for Scott's Elite membership promotion...

This week is a bit of a zany one for me since I have two key people not in the office (and I'm the fill in guy for both). But next week I'll stop US Flight Academy and ask about their set up.

Oh... And this is a YATB post

Back