Become a Pilot? Where to start?

PilotNas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
PilotNas
Hello Pilots,:goofy:

It took me a while to get my Private Pilot License. I went through different flight schools and never got it done. Most of my Instructors, only cared about getting their Hours:mad:, and I understand that but I wish they also took the time to train me too.

In 2001, I decided that I wanted to finish my training (since I started flying in 1995). I went to my Local airport and found a School. It was a little pricy but I wanted to get my license.

They put me on a schedule and within 2 Months (I had already over 40hrs and soloed), I passed my test and was a pilot.:yes:

My recommendation is that you get good Instructor and if you can afford it go to a BIG School.:yesnod:

PilotNas

A good instructor is key no matter if he is an independent or part of a huge Part 141 outfit.

Do a background check on the instructor you are considering,ask around about his abilities. Also check his student pass rate. Even in the big schools some instructors are better than others.

A good instructor is a good instructor regardless of whether they're independent or attached to a school as another poster has said.
Ask for references, that's a pretty surefire way of finding out how comfortable the CFI is with their record. You're buying a service after all.

First of all, I agree with the above--it is all about the instructor and the environment they and others associated with your training create. It is about finding the right fit, and that is not the same for every pilot. Unfortunately, for those new to aviation it is often difficult to know what instructor or school is good for them until they've already invested a lot of time, money, and effort.

I've heard many new pilots say "this is the way to do it" emphatically simply because there first attempt or two went badly, not because the school was too small or 141 operations are too rigid, but simply that the option they explored didn't work for them--thus they assume it is bad in general.

Still, anyone who pushes through a rough experience to earn a PPL, be it due to a bad fit or a truly bad school/instructor, deserves recognition for their resilience and drive!

One thing I've noticed is some instructors advertise they're a Gold Seal.

Haven't looked into it too much, but it seems to have something to do with how many people they've sent on to checkrides, and the percentage of people who pass.

Any thoughts on how useful looking for Gold Seal instructors is for a new student? Is it a worthwhile metric, or just something marginal that people use to inflate their credentials?

Frankly I never cared about any of this. The only thing I wanted from my instructor is that he doesn't cancel or worse, no-show. The rest is whatever... He's just there to keep me out of trouble. Basics of airplane control were covered in the FAA handbook 8083 enough to start flying and even landing with just a bit of chair flying and a ride around the pattern.

Hitting a good instructor is luck. If you don't have it, you make your own luck.

Civil Air Patrol is a great way to get cheap planes, cheap instructors (free), and lots of free flights. However you'll pay them back with volunteer time and helping out in times of need. It's not for everyone but it got me my PPL on a budget and enjoyed it immensely. I'd still be there if I had the free time. Check out your local squadron and see what they can offer.

Last edited:
I teach independently and in a very small school. I've taken people from lesson one through their private pilot license in as little as eight weeks (with them being gone for more than two of those weeks!) Another I did in five months flying only on Saturday mornings, and he missed a few of those due to work. It's all driven by student motivation and availability.

Back