Because we haven't quite beaten headset questions to death yet...

DaleB

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
DaleB
I've been using a DC H10-13.4s since I started training. They're... OK. Comfortable enough for the first couple of hours, unless I'm wearing my regular glasses. My super-duper pilot shades have thin, flexible temples; my old fart bifocal regular glasses have much stiffer temples, and I end up wearing them a lot so I can see things like the teeny little GPS screen.

But now I need to pick up some additional headsets, one set at least for my lovely bride. I'm torn. I could drop close to 2 AMU for two pair of Zulu.2s, but we wouldn't be able to listen to the same tunes without an additional portable intercom. BluLink won't let us share music or the phone. Arrgh. Oh well. Anyway, what I'm considering:

1. Keep the H10-13.4s and install an ANR kit from Headsets, Inc. Buy Wifey some Pilot USA or SoftComm ANR cans.
  2. Buy a Zulu.2 and let Wifey use the DCs, probably with an ANR kit installed.
  3. Buy two pair of Zulu.2s. The bank probably won't miss that mortgage payment, will they?
Any of the above are viable choices. What I really want to know, from people who have tried at least a couple of these, how do they rate for noise reduction compared to each other? On a scale of 1 to 10... with no headset being zero, and the engine off being a 10... where would you rate a non-ANR DC headset, a low-end SoftComm or Pilot USA ANR headset, the DC with a headsets Inc. ANR kit installed, and a Zulu 2?

And how big a difference is there, really, between a Zulu and a Zulu.2?

I'm tentatively rating the non-ANR equipped DCs I have been using at about a 3 for noise reduction. They're not that quiet, they just make ATC and pax louder than the O-320 and prop racket.

The difference between ANR and non-ANR is astonishing, and even more important, monumental when it comes to protecting your hearing. For that reason, I view any non-ANR headset as unacceptable.

Beyond that, the combination of comfort (on the head of the intended wearer, which means "wifey" may need a different type than you) and cost should be the driving factors.

Well, I wouldn't buy a traditional style headset that wasn't ANR. I'd also want that coupled with good passive protection (unless the ANR is running on ship's power).

That said, I have NO desire to wear a traditional style headset again.
I much prefer the in-ear headsets for noise protection and comfort.

I started with the Lightspeed Mach1. Now, I'm on the Quiet Technologies Halo - which is MUCH better than the Lightspeed. (Considered the Clarity Aloft, but didn't see how the extra couple hundred bux was worth it over the QT Halo.)

But now I need to pick up some additional headsets, one set at least for my lovely bride. I'm torn. I could drop close to 2 AMU for two pair of Zulu.2s, but we wouldn't be able to listen to the same tunes without an additional portable intercom. BluLink won't let us share music or the phone. Arrgh. Oh well.

Dale, specifically about both of you listening to the same music, we handle that by using a 3.5mm splitter, which we plug into the music source, and then two male-male extensions, which we plug into the splitter and into the Zulu headsets' 3.5mm input. Admittedly, it's not wireless, but our 496 with XM doesn't have a wireless output, so that wouldn't be an option anyway. It also allows us to listen to MP3s on the cell phone without taking it out of airplane mode. (And the Zulu does have BlueTooth too, but, as you note, that only works to pair two devices, not to broadcast to multiple devices.)

Well, I wouldn't buy a traditional style headset that wasn't ANR. I'd also want that coupled with good passive protection (unless the ANR is running on ship's power).

That said, I have NO desire to wear a traditional style headset again.
I much prefer the in-ear headsets for noise protection and comfort.

I started with the Lightspeed Mach1. Now, I'm on the Quiet Technologies Halo - which is MUCH better than the Lightspeed. (Considered the Clarity Aloft, but didn't see how the extra couple hundred bux was worth it over the QT Halo.)

I have both of them, the CA just seems a little bit more heavy duty with thicker gauged wire and no "surgical tube" heading towards the ear buds.

I have my LS Sierra's up for sale in the classifieds if interested. It has a MP3 Input at the battery box too.

If your audio source allows for simultaneous BT connections, it shouldn't be an issue with two sets of headsets that are AD2P compliant for audio streaming.

Light speed is , Bose is not AD2P

I use the Halo's, I agree with the above comments. If you have to use a head clamp, get ANR something. If not, try the QT Halo, they are free to try.

Dale, specifically about both of you listening to the same music, we handle that by using a 3.5mm splitter, which we plug into the music source, and then two male-male extensions, which we plug into the splitter and into the Zulu headsets' 3.5mm input. Admittedly, it's not wireless, but our 496 with XM doesn't have a wireless output, so that wouldn't be an option anyway. It also allows us to listen to MP3s on the cell phone without taking it out of airplane mode. (And the Zulu does have BlueTooth too, but, as you note, that only works to pair two devices, not to broadcast to multiple devices.)

If your gps has the standard 3.5mm output , you could use this to make it BT capable http://www.pilotblulink.com/Dongles.html.

I plan to pick one up for my 560 ;)

I use the Halo's, I agree with the above comments. If you have to use a head clamp, get ANR something. If not, try the QT Halo, they are free to try.

Me, too. I've had my QT Halo for a year and a half and I love them. They work great for acro because they are so light; I wear a sweat band over the headset, but that is probably not necessary for it to stay in place. And I have also been using it in a single-place glider where I just let the earplugs dangle since there is a speaker in the cockpit.

My only complaint is that I have lost 2 of those microphone socks. They tend to fall off when I'm not looking. I'm going to glue the next one on...

My only complaint is that I have lost 2 of those microphone socks. They tend to fall off when I'm not looking. I'm going to glue the next one on...
Pfff. You call yourself a pilot? Safety wire that sucker. :D

I just had Wifey try on my David Clamps. She thought they were a little heavy and a little snug. They are about 18.5 oz., so I'm thinking about the Halo. I might order one and see how we both like it. I got a smoking good deal on the DCs, so I can probably sell them for about what I paid.

I'd still like to know how the noise reduction of the Halos compares to a good ANR headset, like a Zulu or Zulu.2. No way I'm making it Oshkosh this year (or next, probably) and there's nowhere around here that would have either one to try out. Or anything else, for that matter, other than some cheapie flight school cans.

I'd still like to know how the noise reduction of the Halos compares to a good ANR headset, like a Zulu or Zulu.2.

Safety wire...good one.

I don't have an ANR headset to compare it with, but they are *much* quieter than my passive DC's.

Not gonna lie: when I first opened the box, I thought to myself, "I paid 300 bucks for this?" But they have held up to some abuse and I've been happy with them overall.

I have the LS Zulu.2's and like them. But I'm also considering getting the QT Halo's to try out for the following reason.

I like the ANR feature of the .2's and the BT connection to my iPhone for music. But whenever the headset detects ANY outside transmission, including radio chatter, intercom chatter, or my breathing on the microphone, the "music cut out" feature engages and totally mutes the iPhone transmission. This is by design and I sorta agree with it, but at the same time, I am finding it a bit annoying.

And I'm finding that I don't listen to music that much while flying. For passengers it might be different, but for me, I'm fine listening in on ATC or having a conversation with my passenger.

I used the Bose anr and tried the QT Halo set. My wife now wears the Bose. The noise level for me seems better with the QT Halo.....YMMV

Pfff. You call yourself a pilot? Safety wire that sucker. :D

I just had Wifey try on my David Clamps. She thought they were a little heavy and a little snug. They are about 18.5 oz., so I'm thinking about the Halo. I might order one and see how we both like it. I got a smoking good deal on the DCs, so I can probably sell them for about what I paid.

I'd still like to know how the noise reduction of the Halos compares to a good ANR headset, like a Zulu or Zulu.2. No way I'm making it Oshkosh this year (or next, probably) and there's nowhere around here that would have either one to try out. Or anything else, for that matter, other than some cheapie flight school cans.

I have no way of measuring such...
QT claims 35-40db noise reduction, on par with ANR.

(A plus side is that protection is constant. With ANR, if the earmuff seal is broken [say, by a pair of glasses], then there can be interference that renders the ANR worse than useless.)

I find them to be at least as quiet as any other ANR headset I've tried. But it's been so long since I've had my head in the vice, I can't make an honest comparison.
FWIW, the cockpit of my plane is louder than most Cessna / Piper trainers. And is especially loud when flying with the canopy open ... the QT Halos do an EXCELLENT job in noise reduction and cutting down any extraneous noise when squelch is broken - they make it a very pleasant way to fly.

Db reduction doesn't mean much by itself. Express it in terms of the frequency range and the nature of the reduction, and it begins to mean something.

ANR's primary benefit is making communications clearer. If you want hearing protection, get a headset and fill it with dense foam (oregon aero bush kit works well), and a good set of ear seals.

If you want better, clearer communication, get ANR. Most ANR headsets won't give you the protection, however. It's a tradeoff.

I haven't found any headsets that equal Bose for ease of communications and understanding, and for clarity. I've owned or used most of the others, but now only use Bose.

The more I look at the QT Halos, the closer I am to buying. I think I'll order a pair and see how they work out. I just wish to heck I'd thought to do it a few days earlier... I'll have to rent some cheapies from the FBO for my wife to use for Saturday's flight.

I like the ANR feature of the .2's and the BT connection to my iPhone for music. But whenever the headset detects ANY outside transmission, including radio chatter, intercom chatter, or my breathing on the microphone, the "music cut out" feature engages and totally mutes the iPhone transmission. This is by design and I sorta agree with it, but at the same time, I am finding it a bit annoying.

And I'm finding that I don't listen to music that much while flying. For passengers it might be different, but for me, I'm fine listening in on ATC or having a conversation with my passenger.
With the original Zulus, at least, you could turn that feature off and on at will. One of the buttons does it (maybe Front Row Center - FRC?)

If your audio source allows for simultaneous BT connections, it shouldn't be an issue with two sets of headsets that are AD2P compliant for audio streaming.

Light speed is , Bose is not AD2P
hmm. I hadn't realized you could do that, but...
A master Bluetooth device can communicate with a maximum of seven devices in a piconet (an ad-hoc computer network using Bluetooth technology), though not all devices reach this maximum. The devices can switch roles, by agreement, and the slave can become the master (for example, a headset initiating a connection to a phone will necessarily begin as master, as initiator of the connection; but may subsequently prefer to be slave).
The Bluetooth Core Specification provides for the connection of two or more piconets to form a scatternet, in which certain devices simultaneously play the master role in one piconet and the slave role in another.
So I wonder if the PilotBluLink that cavmedic posted about has this capability. Hmmm... Of course, we're seriously considering ditching the 496 for an ADS-B device for the iPad like the Stratus, if it will work with bothForeFlight and WingX Pro, which the Stratus won't do. So I don't know that I want to spend any more money on the 496.

hmm. I hadn't realized you could do that, but...

So I wonder if the PilotBluLink that cavmedic posted about has this capability. Hmmm... Of course, we're seriously considering ditching the 496 for an ADS-B device for the iPad like the Stratus, if it will work with bothForeFlight and WingX Pro, which the Stratus won't do. So I don't know that I want to spend any more money on the 496.

I do not know if it will or not. I have the Blulink adapter they list ( not the dongle that i linked to ), but I use it for BT connection to a handheld for Amatuer radio , but i know that will connect to two devices as my phone links to it and so does my radio.

I have a pair of Zulus which are quite nice and ANR and all, but for comfort my Clarity Aloft is hands down the winner. Now they come with a BT as well. If I start flying a lot again, I'll probably pick up a set.

Dale I have about ten sets. Only one I don't have is bose. I have the zulus, Lightspeeds, Softcom anr's. Plus several other passive. The ones I like the best are the new senheisers. If you want to stop by in lincoln I'll loan you a set to try out. Might even have couple more. Every time I buy a plane I get another couple sets.

With the original Zulus, at least, you could turn that feature off and on at will. One of the buttons does it (maybe Front Row Center - FRC?)

Hmmm... I'll check the documentation to see if that's possible. Music volume is way down anyhow, so it wouldn't interfere with any voice comm.

Hmmm... I'll check the documentation to see if that's possible. Music volume is way down anyhow, so it wouldn't interfere with any voice comm.
Just checked the Zulu.2 documentation:
http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content/lightspeedaviation/file/Zulu.2-User-Guide.pdf said:
Auto MusicMute
Auto MusicMute is turned on or off by the bottommost controller button. With Auto MusicMute on and when radio communications are detected, the volume of auxiliary devices will be significantly reduced.

To enable Auto MusicMute, turn on the feature, plug into your intercom and talk into the headset microphone while playing music over a wired device; see Wired Auxiliary Devices. If enabled, your auxiliary music will decrease when you start to talk.

Thanks Grant!

Try using it first, it drives me nuts especial in busy airspace, music cuts in and out. I like a low volume continuous as you are doing it now from the sounds of it. I don't listen to music flying though, I just listen to the engines swing the props, to a gearhead like me that's a sweet sound and I get it in full stereo surround sound.:D

Last edited:
I bought DC 10-13X new as a gift to myself for getting my private. Since then, I bought Bose X used for $500 through the AOPA Classifieds. I later got Lightspeed Zulus. The Bose seem to me a better ANR. The DCs better passive. Lightspeeds have more options; none of which I use.
You can get some good deals used. And by the way, both the BOSE and Lightspeeds have been back for a factory repair/refresh which has only cost me the shipping.
Bravo to companies.
But then, the DCs I bought new were sent back as well. Another factory repair/refresh.

After some hunting and reading the positive things people had to say, I ordered two Quiet Technologies Halo headsets. First off, a HUGE recommendation for this guy... i called Friday with a special shipping request, and had them in my hands Saturday.

My wife and I used them on her first ever trip in a GA plane, a short 50 minute hop from KMLE to KOFK. I found them to be much quieter than my DC H10-13.4s, and much more comfortable as well. Clarity of received audio was excellent. I'm sold on these. They come with a nice zipper case and plenty of extra foam plugs.

You just need to watch out for the cord, it's thin and easy to hook with your foot as you climb out. The mic does trigger a little more with wind noise than the DC set, but I may be able to adjust that. It's not bad, just a little more than David Clark's excellent noise cancelling mic. The transmitted audio quality is fine, no background noise.

Overall, I am more impressed with these than I thought I would be. Solid recommendation from me.

Now, if only we could fly home. Sigh... bloody nose strut is flat as a mackerel, so we're sitting here waiting for our son to drive the 2 hours up here to come get us. I hope Santa brings me an RV-9 kit.

Back