Beaver loses prop in mid air - lands safely

Mad props to that pilot (pun intended).

If that happened to me, I would think being in a seaplane over water would be about as much as one could ask for.

very uncommon says the NTSB....I wouldnt want to be the last A&P to have signed off on that prop.

You sure wouldn't. An A&P signing off a Canadian airplane in Canada would be in big trouble. We have AME's here: Aircraft Maintenance Engineers. A bit different from your American AME.

Dan (a Canadian AME)

AME/A&P = tomato/tomato

Besides, the A&P does not sign off the inside of prop on an annual inspection (just observable condition and AD compliance). Takes a prop shop to inspect hub root and clamp here in the USA.
Does an AME in Canada tear down the prop for the 100hgour or annual?

I just flew through that area last week. With out float it would have been "interesting". :eek:

Nicely done by all.

Although I'm thinking this is about as straightforward a flying emergency as one could have. A moment or two of terror (depending on how the prop departed and engine is shut down), followed by the mandatory glide to a large landing surface with plenty of wind to fix the direction, ruffle the waters and minimize forward momentum. The Beaver is surprisingly clean looking without a windmilling prop. The main pilot challenge is executing a dead stick flare. Hmm, I guess that would be a no-stick flare.

Just sayin'.

Nice tone to the coverage.

Seems like something didn't get safetied properly, eh?

Or the nut split. Metal parts do fail occasionally.
...but not randomly. I'm thinking that unless a part was mis-specified in terms of strength or time in service, failure would require some kind of trauma or manufacturing defect.

Anything other than trauma of some sort would be a big deal in the Beaver community I would think.

Bill "not an engineer or maintenance pro, just a builder" Watson

Better to lose all of the prop than just some of it...

Sure is a head-scratcher for the failure mode though, other than a major "oops".

Hard to tell in such a small picture, but there doesn't seem to be much crank sticking out, and the end even looks shinier than the sides....

Crank failure?

Hard to tell in such a small picture, but there doesn't seem to be much crank sticking out, and the end even looks shinier than the sides....

Crank failure?

That's what I thought too.

Back