beautiful video of high flying

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
This video is a once in a lifetime experience of a British civilian,James May, getting a flight at over 70,000 ft. in a U-2 spy plane. Please note at the take-off the assist wheels on the outer edges of the wings which drop off upon take-off. The wings are so long that they need temporary support until lift-off. What is not shown is at the landing the plane actually slows to a small enough speed that two guys are actually able to grab the wing tips and put those assist wheels back on.

The civilian getting the ride is the host of the car show
Top Gear on BBC (James May)
shown through Europe at 9:00 pm Sunday night in Belgium . The views are
spectacular as the U-2 flies at altitudes which constitute "SPACE."

Use your full screen and sound as this is a high-quality film clip, 10
minutes long.

http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

I wanna go :yesnod:

Last edited:
This video is a once in a lifetime experience of a British civilian,James May, getting a flight at over 70,000 ft. in a U-2 spy plane. Please note at the take-off the assist wheels on the outer edges of the wings which drop off upon take-off. The wings are so long that they need temporary support until lift-off. What is not shown is at the landing the plane actually slows to a small enough speed that two guys are actually able to grab the wing tips and put those assist wheels back on.

The civilian getting the ride is the host of the car show
Top Gear on BBC (James May)
shown through Europe at 9:00 pm Sunday night in Belgium . The views are
spectacular as the U-2 flies at altitudes which constitute "SPACE."

Use your full screen and sound as this is a high-quality film clip, 10
minutes long.

http://www.wimp.com/breathtakingfootage/

I wanna go :yesnod:

The whole show was on BBC America not too long ago. I assume it will re-run...

Outstanding! Thank you Jeanie.

The ultimate tail dragger.

Neat!

I like what he says near the end: "If everybody could do that once, it would completely change the face of global politics, religion, education, everything." I know it has that effect on astronauts, too. Heck, even with some of the video I've seen from the Shuttle and ISS... You see landmasses drifting below. You recognize places like Saudi Arabia, but there are no lines, no labels, and you can't see any of the fighting you know is happening in your field of view - You see a seemingly peaceful blue marble, tiny in comparison to the incomprehensible vastness of space.

He's right - Everyone should see that once, and remember that no matter what color or religion we are, no matter what country we're from, we're all residents of the same little blue marble. Let's all take care of her, and each other. :yes:

earthrise-1.jpg

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-30 at 4.16.15 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-30 at 4.16.15 PM.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
EXACTLY.

like the song "From a Distance" sung by Bette Middler? (sp?)

Maybe I'll print out one of those pictures and keep it on the fridge so that it will help keep some perspective on the day to day happenings that I find that I can get so caught up in.... not that taking care of our day to day lives - in a good way - is unimportant but some equanimity / wisdom certainly helps to not get ones knickers in a twist, so to speak :rolleyes:

Of course, daily meditation is designed to help with that calmness too....
Oops, different kind of thread, nevermind

That was just amazing thank you. I dare say a flight in the U2 is a life changing experience.

Back