Beautiful morning to fly...

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
One of my private students, with 15 hours TT, operating on grass for the first time:

Wow Jess that must have been some smooooooth grass. Hardly a bump seen on the video. Must also be nice to fly in an area where ya can't tick off the neighbors.

Last edited:
It was nice here this morning before the winds picked up. I signed off my "student's" Flight review (after a 30 year break!) and he did three trips around the pattern.

He returned and said it was almost as good as his first solo.

:D

Makes me miss Iowa. The "grass" strips down here in South Texas are basically weedy-sandy-scrub, hard as concrete.

I actually flew two days in a row this week. The weather here on the island has been perfect -- upper 70s, light winds...

Makes me miss Iowa. The "grass" strips down here in South Texas are basically weedy-sandy-scrub, hard as concrete.

Same here. Nice grass! Looked like everything around in the farm fields was pretty brown though... does that airport water it?

Same here. Nice grass! Looked like everything around in the farm fields was pretty brown though... does that airport water it?
No. All our grass is green like that. Everywhere.

It's too early for much to have grown in those fields which consist of really nothing but corn or soybean.

Nice video Jesse, and nicely done by your student. Putting an airplane on grass is my favorite thing to do.

Nice..flat and green and a smooth surface! Level terrain all the way to the horizon, that's different!! Student did a good job!

I haven't landed on grass (yet). Your video makes it look so easy. :)

No. All our grass is green like that. Everywhere.

It's too early for much to have grown in those fields which consist of really nothing but corn or soybean.

Nice. I bet that looks neat after the fields get tall too.

I'm not used to there being enough water (without irrigation) for grass like that up here in the high-plains desert. :)

I've landed on the "grass" at 1CO8. It shook sound deadening foam from behind the panel. I'm probably lucky I didn't need any dental work. ;)

I prefer the dirt and AstroTurf over at 5V4. Much smoother! Even the dirt. The dirt can get mushy if it's wet out there though.

Here's a couple of recent photos. AstroTurf end of the runway looking North:

4b94241c-790e-453b.jpg

AstroTurf end of the runway from roughly the same location, looking South into the dirt end.

Another Skylane had just back-taxied and departed to the North due to prevailing wind. (AstroTurf did him no good...):

4b94241c-798d-3746.jpg

He did a couple laps and then went back to the hangars there. Never met him.

4b94241c-7a4a-6083.jpg

Back