Beaumont, KS for brunch tomorrow 11/9

If Orville and Bob Hoover can have a mustache, I think any pilot should be able to have a mustache.

Any famous pilots with beards?

In our world they can have mustaches but no beards, not that it matters to me. :D

Do you know the reason for that?

In MY world, the reason is that the oxygen mask won't seal well over a beard.:yes:

But that does not explain why certain international airlines allow the wearing of beards. :dunno:

Do you know the reason for that?
Not really. I've heard the O2 mask reason but personally I think, at least here, it's more of an image thing. I've known people who have gotten away with goatees for quite awhile before being asked to shave.

Story is that Richard Bach was kicked out of the Iowa ANG for refusing to shave off his mustache. Back in the 60s I think.

Well Tony and Matt, you have now officially screwed with my mind. I am now starting to believe that a Fly baby is within my reach. I have been scouring the interwebs looking for all of the info I can find. The look like a supper easy supper fun ride. Now I have to go explain to my wife that it is indeed and airplane and not just a 2/3 scale model of one!

The guy who does the toy runs on Christmas eve comes to mind.

quote=RossFischer;374629]If Orville and Bob Hoover can have a mustache, I think any pilot should be able to have a mustache.

Any famous pilots with beards?[/quote]

They are wonderful airplanes and very affordable. The thing is, they are REAL airplanes, not ultralightsport spam crates. Pete Bowers really knew what he was doing when he designed it. Think of it as a single seat low wing cub, the fighter version if you will. Or a very slow RV3. They kick ass. Very maneuverable, beautifully balanced controls, light forces, not twitchy. I got mine as a flying project that hadn't flown in years, rebuilt the A75 to new limits, made a canopy and installed a larger fuel tank, tidied up a million little things and have only $10K in it! Thats with a rebuilt engine! I weigh about 160 with boots on and can carry 16 gals fuel and 35 lbs baggage. Cruise is about 85 mph or 95 if I run it flat out. I've had it to over 14k msl and still climbing (a little). I'm sure with a cruise prop it would do 100 easy. Freeking great little airplane.

They are wonderful airplanes and very affordable. The thing is, they are REAL airplanes, not ultralightsport spam crates. Pete Bowers really knew what he was doing when he designed it. Think of it as a single seat low wing cub, the fighter version if you will. Or a very slow RV3. They kick ass. Very maneuverable, beautifully balanced controls, light forces, not twitchy. I got mine as a flying project that hadn't flown in years, rebuilt the A75 to new limits, made a canopy and installed a larger fuel tank, tidied up a million little things and have only $10K in it! Thats with a rebuilt engine! I weigh about 160 with boots on and can carry 16 gals fuel and 35 lbs baggage. Cruise is about 85 mph or 95 if I run it flat out. I've had it to over 14k msl and still climbing (a little). I'm sure with a cruise prop it would do 100 easy. Freeking great little airplane.
I'm starting to think that an airplane like your Flybaby would work well for me. I've been reading about them all night....Sounds like a lot of fun.

SEE!!! SEE!!! Jesse has been bitten too!! So the thing I can't (or am too lazy to) find is are the certificated, or experimental? Can I work on them meyself? (non-A&P)
Where can I find one and how hard is it to put the folding wing mod on?

Diana, sorry for squwaking 7500 in your thread, but there are too many things in my head right now.

they are experimental-amatuer built. anyone can do maintenance but they must have an annual condition inspection that must be done by either an A&P or the builder (if they got a repairman certificate for the airplane while building it).

id recommend www.bowersflybaby.com for info and classifieds.

any of them built to plans have folding wings.

Thanks, Tony. I've been pouring over that site since I first Googled it. Was just looking for a bit more insight from some owner/operators. I find myself getting that exciting feeling in my gut when I think of the fun that airplane could be! I was toying with the idea of making an offer on a 152 I saw the other day, but I think I may hold off 'till I can find one of these bad boys to take a gander at.

theres also a yahoo group where you can get ahold of other builders/flyers. details for joining are on the main website, in the 'forum' link i think

The folding wing thing is no big deal. If it aint got it it's easy to change. It's not really all that handy actually. If you need to stash it in a smaller area just pull the wings off. they are pretty modular like sailplanes so it's easy. I'm no A&P but probably put in about 400 hours rebuilding mine under the supervision of an I.A. Dang simple airplane. Stout too. Make no mistake though, you can't take anyone along with you.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing......;)

Amen brother! After years instructing in the back seat of a glider and hours making a fool of myself getting my airplane rating I relish every moment of solitude in that Fly Baby. No one to babysit and no one to perform for. Heaven

Amen brother!

Having met Kim, I'm fairly certain she's no brother, a sister would be more accurate. ;)

After years instructing in the back seat of a glider and hours making a fool of myself getting my airplane rating I relish every moment of solitude in that Fly Baby. No one to babysit and no one to perform for. Heaven

The single seat concept has a lot of appeal, as I think for most of us our average mission ends up being one person anyway. I'd have a hard time not buying a 2-seater, though, because I do prefer to be able to take another person with me. If I had another plane that could do multiple people just fine, though, a fast single seater would be a lot of fun!

Sorry Kim! This cyber world often leads me into fax pus. All I saw was 4763E

And hey, wait a minute! This thread has been cleverly twisted into a Fly Baby promotion as an effective distraction from the real truth that Tony ABANDONED my airplane 50 miles short of home then SKIPPED TOWN to have lunch with some of his cronies! I barely got it home and in the hanger yesterday before it started SLEETING! Yea, and of COURSE Jessie is in on it trying to butter me up with his "an airplane like your Flybaby would work well for me." Sure man. Well I aint falling for it anymore.

Sorry Kim! This cyber world often leads me into fax pus. All I saw was 4763E

And hey, wait a minute! This thread has been cleverly twisted into a Fly Baby promotion as an effective distraction from the real truth that Tony ABANDONED my airplane 50 miles short of home then SKIPPED TOWN to have lunch with some of his cronies! I barely got it home and in the hanger yesterday before it started SLEETING! Yea, and of COURSE Jessie is in on it trying to butter me up with his "an airplane like your Flybaby would work well for me." Sure man. Well I aint falling for it anymore.

hey now...i got it as close as i could. and you beat the sleet by hours.

Back