Beaches along east coast?

alex0101

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
alex0101
Hey there!

Looking for some suggestions for a weekend trip along the east coast. The goal is to do some relaxing on a beach and some swimming; a nice beach on the Atlantic coast would be preferred.

I'm in Buffalo. Was looking at 26N and WWD, all in the Atlantic City area. Any other suggestions? I don't want to go too far from BUF as I only got my ticket back in May and am building up experience (although I've built up over 35 cross country hours since getting my ticket already, but all have been flights within 200 miles or so--farthest flight for me has been AGC in Pittsburgh).

Looking forward to reading your suggestions for places to go for a weekend trip! Thanks :)!

You've already ruled out the best beaches. Florida.
North Carolina is not bad, especially if you don't taste like shark food.

^^ true, one day I'd like to fly myself to Florida, but I'd like to get my IFR first so I don't get stuck for too long. Any airports in NC you suggest?

Also, I suppose I'm open to a really nice lake on the east coast if someone has some suggestions.

Yeah, anything north of Fernandino is a waste. I recommend St Augustine, great little town as well. You can make it, it's just a few more hours.

You've already ruled out the best beaches. Florida.
North Carolina is not bad, especially if you don't taste like shark food.

Hattaras has a small strip airport right there and its removed enough from Nags Head to be less crowded.

Then again, Nags Head has Kitty Hawk so... ;)

Cape Cod, very nice beaches. Nantucket. Martha's Vineyard. Rhode Island actually has some nice beaches as well. NH as well. 7B3 and KPSM are right on the coast.

I'm trying to find time to get back down to the Outer Banks... W95 looks cool.

Cape Cod, very nice beaches. Nantucket. Martha's Vineyard. Rhode Island actually has some nice beaches as well. NH as well. 7B3 and KPSM are right on the coast.
If we're including beaches not on the mainland, don't forget Block Island too. :)

Bid ,mvy,Pym ,ack are just a few of the many in the cape cod area ,with nice airports. I personally like Block Island. All an easy flight from Buffalo.

Nasty brown cold water...?

Actually, the water is quite nice now in NH. Maine starts to get a little cold. Its blue/green. Maybe you're thinking the great lakes?

Actually, the water is quite nice now in NH. Maine starts to get a little cold. Its blue/green. Maybe you're thinking the great lakes?

Maybe you and I have very different concepts of what 'nice' water temps are.:rofl: You might be pushing 60°-62° this time of year. I'm in a wetsuit at 80°.:lol:

Maybe you and I have very different concepts of what 'nice' water temps are.:rofl: You might be pushing 60°-62° this time of year. I'm in a wetsuit at 80°.:lol:

Ha, I'm with you there, I don't get in till it tops 80. 84 in NC right now.

My favorites, and you can research them yourself, from north to south:

1B2/MVY
26N
WWD
FFA/MQI
HSE
W95

I should also mention OXB, although I've never flown in there, but Marylanders seem to like Ocean City MD. For a long weekend trip, WWD and W95 are my favorites. WWD is closest to you, and would be my recommendation.

Ocean city maryland. Nice airport, not far from town and many beaches. Lots of resturants including fagers island.

My favorites, and you can research them yourself, from north to south:

1B2/MVY
26N
WWD
FFA/MQI
HSE
W95

I should also mention OXB, although I've never flown in there, but Marylanders seem to like Ocean City MD. For a long weekend trip, WWD and W95 are my favorites. WWD is closest to you, and would be my recommendation.

This is pretty much my list, although I have been into WWD many more times as I have relatives there. If you want to hit something on the Chesapeake also, I would recommend W29, and TGI as stops.

KMRH, but you'd need to rent a car. Beach at Atlantic Beach, eat on the waterfront in Beaufort.

Yeah, anything north of Fernandino is a waste. I recommend St Augustine, great little town as well. You can make it, it's just a few more hours.

St Augustine is a neat old town to visit but destin puts its beaches to shame. We go to Hilton head every year but PC and destin have been stops since I got my PPL. there is absolutely no comparison between the Atlantic coast and the gulf.

Last edited:
I flew into Beaufort North Carolina last month. Got car from fbo and drove ten minutes to beach at emerald isles. Stayed at Hampton inn. Was very nice. I apparently didn't taste like shark food.

Thank you for the great suggestions! WWD was my first choice before posting this thread, so I'm thinking I'll fly in there, rent a car and stay in Atlantic City, while spending most of the time in Wildwood. I just can't find a hotel at a good price for the weekend, where I have enough credit card points for 3 free nights in Atlantic City.

Block Island also looks very cool and I'd love to fly into Martha's Vinyard one day, but expensive hotel prices for now keep me away (flying is expensive enough).

I'd love to get down to Florida someday, but probably after getting my instrument rating. Gotta start working on it! Any recommendations on what books/courses to use to pass the written exam? I figure I can get that out of the way now before beginning practical training.

I'd love to get down to Florida someday, but probably after getting my instrument rating. Gotta start working on it! Any recommendations on what books/courses to use to pass the written exam? I figure I can get that out of the way now before beginning practical training.

King Courses worked great for me.

You should be flying with a Safety Pilot on all these XC trips and logging some hood time. you need 40 hours of that and 50 hours of XC... combining some of that helps.

Thank you for the great suggestions! WWD was my first choice before posting this thread, so I'm thinking I'll fly in there, rent a car and stay in Atlantic City, while spending most of the time in Wildwood. I just can't find a hotel at a good price for the weekend, where I have enough credit card points for 3 free nights in Atlantic City.

Have you been to Atlantic City or Wildwood? I ask, because IMHO, uh let's just say I'm not impressed.

There's a reason why there are a plethora of hotel rooms in AC.

Wildwood is cool to check out once, but I would pick any other of the beaches south of AC (i.e. Ocean City, Strathmere, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Cape May) over Wildwood or AC.

Definitely check out Cape May. It's a very different vibe from the rest of the Jersey Shore, and likely to score the most points with significant others.

Block Island also looks very cool and I'd love to fly into Martha's Vinyard one day, but expensive hotel prices for now keep me away (flying is expensive enough).

My wife just finished up the King course. She takes her written tomorrow. I'll let you know after that if I recommend it.

Have you been to Atlantic City or Wildwood? I ask, because IMHO, uh let's just say I'm not impressed.

There's a reason why there are a plethora of hotel rooms in AC.

Wildwood is cool to check out once, but I would pick any other of the beaches south of AC (i.e. Ocean City, Strathmere, Sea Isle, Avalon, Stone Harbor, Cape May) over Wildwood or AC.

Definitely check out Cape May. It's a very different vibe from the rest of the Jersey Shore, and likely to score the most points with significant others.

I've been to Wildwood and Atlantic City when I was younger on a trip with my parents and don't remember it too well. It was kind of chaotic, I think?

Cape May sounds great. Thanks for all the suggestions! I could really careless where we go as long as I get to fly!!

W95. My family loves it. Walk to town in 15 min, walk to camp grounds in an hour(must make reservations online) and walk to beach in 5 min. Very quiet beach!

Ocean city maryland. Nice airport, not far from town and many beaches. Lots of resturants including fagers island.
:yeahthat:,+1 Lots to do and a car is really not needed once you get the the strip.

btw, welcome to POA!!!

Salisbury,MD (KSBY) or Accomack (KMFV) and a rental car. Go out to Chincoteague island and the beach within the Assateague national seashore. The beach is controlled by the feds, no rowdy college students, no vendors, no boardwalk. Just a beach

:yeahthat:,+1 Lots to do and a car is really not needed once you get the the strip.

btw, welcome to POA!!!

No need for a car in OC, MD.. they got Uber :) it's about 15$ to downtown from airport from there you can do bus if needed all day for 3$

OR if you want quieter: assateague island is nearby as well

Don't drain your credit card points to stay in atlantic city. If you do fly into 26n or acy. The drive from wwd to atlantic city is probably an hour. I would check airbnb as an alternative.

Back