Be careful out there - "close" call yesterday

alfadog

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
alfadog
I wrote up the below for an incident yesterday. I sent it to someone that might help this pilot get some refresher training. I believe the pilot/owner to be 71 years old. All information based on freely accessible web data starting with the N-number.

My friend recently passed his Private Pilot exam and got his license; prior to that he held a Sport Pilot's license. I have had my license for many years. To celebrate his accomplishment we decided to share the rental of a Cessna 172 for a trip from Tamiami to Marathon and back. My friend flew down and I flew back. Upon arriving my friend planned on doing a few touch-and-go landings before we landed and switched pilots. As we neared the airport we monitored CTAF and noted that traffic was using Runway 25. The wind was from 190 so 25 was the preferred runway.

The airport was fairly busy with aircraft taking off and landing and at least one other airplane in the pattern doing touch-and-goes. They were all using Runway 25.

As we merged into the pattern we heard another aircraft announce that they were on, I believe, a nine-mile right base for Runway 7. This was about 11:30 AM. It was a woman's voice. The pilot asked that any traffic in the area please advise (ATITAPA). This airplane turned out to be <redacted>.

Three things wrong there.
1. The least error is the use of ATITAPA. According to the FAA, 'Pilots stating, “Traffic in the area, please advise” is not a recognized Self-Announce Position and/or Intention phrase and should not be used under any condition.' It is backwards. Arriving aircraft are expected to look and listen and determine traffic for themselves. Aircraft operating out of non-towered fields are not even required to have radios and I routinely fly an airplane that does not have one.
2. The wind clearly favored Runway 25 and an incoming pilot should have expected traffic to be using that runway, not the opposite direction Runway 7. If there was any doubt, the pilot should have contacted the Unicom on the field and asked for the preferred runway. It is not against the rules to land downwind; it is against the rules to disrupt the flow of traffic to do so.
3. Both Runway 7 and Runway 25 are left traffic and it is a violation of FAA regulations to make any turns other than left turns when approaching to land. Were this pilot really on a right base as she called out three times, that would be a violation. It turned out that she was in error there also and was actually on a left base.

To continue, the other pilot in the pattern informed <redacted> that traffic was using Runway 25 and my friend announced his position and intention to use 25. There was no response.

A bit later <redacted> came on again and announced perhaps a five-mile right base for Runway 7. My friend and the other aircraft responded as before and, again, no reply. The other aircraft, perhaps out of concern for any impending conflict, left the pattern. Since we had two pilots in our airplane to keep an eye out, we continued with the hope that <redacted> with get a clue as to what was going on at her intended destination.

The last call from <redacted> was, I believe, a three-mile right base for 7. Again, we announced our intention to use 25. No reply. As we were on our base leg for 25, we noticed an incoming airplane, not on a right base for 7, but on what would be a left base for 7. We did not know if this was the subject aircraft and so we turned final for Runway 25. We then saw the other aircraft turn final for Runway 7. When it was clear that this aircraft intended to land despite an airplane set up to land from the opposite direction, we executed a go-around. We attempted to raise the other airplane on the radio but there was no reply. The aircraft landed and taxied to hangars on the NE side of the field. As we went around and then came in again to land, I read the N-number <redacted>.

OK, to be perfectly honest, this is how mid-air collisions happen. Non-towered airports are the source of most mid-air collisions. Luckily my friend and I were on the ball and monitoring the situation throughout and there was never any real risk. The pilot of <redacted> was clueless. Were we both clueless then there could have been an incident. And people do not generally survive mid-air collisions.

At least I hope that the pilot of <redacted> was clueless. That pilot made a number of errors, any one of which could be a problem. I hope they were errors and not a case of a pilot that was going to land Runway 7 because that is most convenient to the hangar and to heck with anyone else using the airport. I hope it was not that.

That is a scary situation. Perhaps the <redacted> pilot had her "license" recalled. But what IS this "license" you've had for "many years?"

:eek:)

That is a scary situation. Perhaps the <redacted> pilot had her "license" recalled. But what IS this "license" you've had for "many years?"

:eek:)

LOL. I guess you do not like the term "pilot's license"? But no, she has a current CERTIFICATE.

Doesn't sound like that close of a call. See and avoid works for idiots flying <redacted> aircraft as well as the NORDO crowd.

Doesn't sound like that close of a call. See and avoid works for idiots flying <redacted> aircraft as well as the NORDO crowd.

No, it wasn't and that is why I mention that there was no real risk in our case; if we thought there could have been then we would have booked as the other pilot in the pattern did. I fly NORDO in the Luscombe and am confident in my ability to see and avoid.

At least she flew left traffic for 7.. Probably didn't want a long taxi back to her hangar, and just let it roll out toward her hangar... :dunno:

Sounds like the <redacted> pilot had the volume on his radio turned down and couldn't hear you. Other than that, the only formal error he may have made was to call it a right base entry. He who is on final winns.

At least she flew left traffic for 7.. Probably didn't want a long taxi back to her hangar, and just let it roll out toward her hangar... :dunno:

I am thinking it was a case of complacency and carelessness. She has probably been flying out of Marathon for years. She was likely coming in from the mainland to the north and has a habit of just flying south on a very long "base" leg then turning final for 7 and rolling out to the hangars on the left at the end of 7. I hope that she just had turned down the radio and was not actually ignoring the other calls.

In any event, this sort of complacency and carelessness is exactly what kills pilots. Of any age. IMO.

Sounds like the <redacted> pilot had the volume on his radio turned down and couldn't hear you. Other than that, the only formal error he may have made was to call it a right base entry. He who is on final winns.

We were on final first. Should we have continued and landed?

Have you engaged the other pilot in discussion about what transpired?

So this is what a letter from the pattern police looks like? :)

Seriously though, I have seen folks do stupid stuff in the pattern. I make my radio calls, and basically just try to avoid them the best I can. Thankfully it never requires more than .1 Hobbs time on my part to work myself around their foolishness. I used to get worked up about it, but rolling my eyes and moving on in a nonconfrontational matter is better for my BP.

3. Both Runway 7 and Runway 25 are left traffic and it is a violation of FAA regulations to make any turns other than left turns when approaching to land.

I've always been a little unclear on this. I did a left base into an airport yesterday on runway 32 which is right traffic. I was coming in from the southwest and it was just easier for me to do a right base and come in. Of course, there was no traffic in the pattern or in the area. Had there been, I would have flown around the airport, entered a right downwind and landed. Do I need to call up the FAA?:D

We were on final first. Should we have continued and landed?

You had every right to do so, the other plane on opposing runway left base was probably banking on you doing so.

Now if she didn't hear or see you, she would have probably seen you heading for her on turn to her final. The common reaction would be 'panic' followed by a stall-spin from short final. The correct reaction is a side-step, go-around and new approach.

It's a good idea to replace the word 'uncontrolled' with 'uncontrollable'. No matter how hard you try, the other plane won't do what you tell him to. Treat all aircraft at a uncontrollable field ass moving at random and you'll be fine. Some places have crosswind runways and for whatever reason, another pilot may choose to use a runway not favored by the wind or the local flight-school. You can't tell him 'not to disrupt the flow of traffic' either.

I've always been a little unclear on this. I did a left base into an airport yesterday on runway 32 which is right traffic... Of course, there was no traffic in the pattern or in the area... Do I need to call up the FAA?:D

Well, you clearly violated 91.126 or 91.127(a). The requirement to make turns in the specified direction does not depend on whether anyone else is around.

I'd guess that it's extremely unlikely that the FAA would find out or take action. And there's no requirement for you to report your infraction to them. If you're concerned, you could obtain some protection by filing an ASRS report.

As far as safety is concerned, it's worth noting that the times when you're not aware of other traffic in the pattern are the times when it's *most* important to obey requirements for standard procedures (because any traffic that's present will be traffic you're unaware of).

If you're concerned, you could obtain some protection by filing an ASRS report.
Unless Funkeruski can make a case that the wrong direction pattern was inadvertent an ASRS filling won't offer any "protection". Perhaps that's what you meant by "some"?

I actually made my base turn outside the normal traffic pattern area, so it was probably technically a straight in approach. According to my research, straight in's are allowed by the FARs. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
Unless Funkeruski can make a case that the wrong direction pattern was inadvertent an ASRS filling won't offer any "protection". Perhaps that's what you meant by "some"?

Yeah, I'm not sure how the burden of proof works regarding the infraction's inadvertence. If the FAA can show that the infraction occurred, and if there's no specific evidence it was deliberate (which there probably wouldn't be unless the FAA saw the pilot's post here and knew whose it was), then does ASRS protection work? Or would the pilot have to explicitly state (falsely, in this case) that the violation was accidental?

But your point reminds me that I should have mentioned that an ASRS report might be useless or harmful if the pilot were to state in the report that the turn was knowingly made in the wrong direction. (Unless confusion about the rules is considered "accidental" enough to bring ASRS protection to bear, even though such confusion wouldn't ordinarily be exculpatory.)

(Again, though, this is probably all academic. I doubt very much that the FAA would do anything in this instance.)

There was no obligation for her to use RW25. Courtesy dictates that she should, but no obligation.

I used to get worked up about it, but rolling my eyes and moving on in a nonconfrontational matter is better for my BP.

I used to use this approach until I got a letter and lecture from HR that admonished me that rolling my eyes was not acceptable behavior in the workplace. I just rolled my eyes and resigned.

Sounds like the <redacted> pilot had the volume on his radio turned down and couldn't hear you.

This happens on majority of the flights that are based out of the Keys. If you don't want flight following, then the common practice for most is to turn down the radio so you don't have to hear all the tourists. Especially if you are on Unicom, because at Marathon you pick up all the traffic at homestead, Everglades, and I believe Ocean Reef as well. 90% of that traffic is the student pilots that can barely speak English as well.

Now is this a good excuse to turn down the radio.... Nope, not at all. Is it the SOP for most Keys based Pilots? Yes, just not me.

I like flight following as they keep me updated on the "tourists" and the locals as well that I can't see :)

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

This happens on majority of the flights that are based out of the Keys. If you don't want flight following, then the common practice for most is to turn down the radio so you don't have to hear all the tourists. Especially if you are on Unicom, because at Marathon you pick up all the traffic at homestead, Everglades, and I believe Ocean Reef as well. 90% of that traffic is the student pilots that can barely speak English as well.

Now is this a good excuse to turn down the radio.... Nope, not at all. Is it the SOP for most Keys based Pilots? Yes, just not me.

I like flight following as they keep me updated on the "tourists" and the locals as well that I can't see :)

I turn down the radio also unless I am the area of an airport and rarely use ff unless flying the FL southeast coast (not including the Keys). I also have the habit of checking the squelch before I transmit (or whenever I want to be receiving) and getting very suspicious if I do not hear CTAF chatter where I would expect to. Complacency kills. And not just the complacent.

This sounds similar to what I encountered on my check ride, at which point I told the DPE that I wasn't staying at this airport and we could find another one where an accident wasn't waiting to happen.

It sounds like you guys haven't flown around many ag pilots or other people "working" in aviation. We just all have to work together to keep things safe. No need to get upset.

It sounds like you guys haven't flown around many ag pilots or other people "working" in aviation. We just all have to work together to keep things safe. No need to get upset.
Big difference between mixing it up with professional pilots and someone who is absolutely clueless.

Back