BatteryMinders

I use the first one. Works fine.

It's the one Dr. Chien recommended, he replaces his batteries when they get old, not when they fail.

i use the battery tender that I bought for my motorcycle it works great

Have used only the non-aircraft one, and not for the aircraft. Work great, as do the BatteryTender brand.

Would love to know what the aircraft one claims to do that the non-aircraft one doesn't, to see if it's just marketing hocus-pocus to jack up the price.

I also use one I picked up from a motorcycle store for $25. Works very well.

Somewhere along the way someone told me the difference between the aviation model and the standard, there was a difference but I don't recall what it was however.

sorry

Looks like it only applies to recumbent-gas (sealed) lead-acid batteries. Good to know. Not standard lead-acid (not sealed).

Our new one isn't sealed. Two separate A&Ps recommended against it. Both gave higher marks to standard batteries in our usage model for our aircraft. (Typically flown weekly, not always flown more than once a week.)

Said the RGs take too long to charge up and short local flights and not flying daily has killed a number of them around here, especially in winter when it's really cold.

I note my Battery Minder voltage is 13.9 when attached to a mostly charged up 12v battery.

Back