Basin Harbor Club & Airport

Flyhound

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyhound
I flew my wife and coon hound up to Lake Champlain in Vermont for the weekend. The Basin Harbor Club has cabins for rent on the lake, a grass strip for our plane and they allow pets in the cabins. Perfect! It would have been a 9 hour drive in good traffic, but even with a nasty headwind on the way up we made it in 5 hours. The trip home was a bit faster, but still had a slight headwind. Here's a video report of the trip. I'd highly recommend Basin Harbor as a destination, but staying there can be pricy. The Red Mill Restaurant is right on the runway, and a flight up for lunch and a day hike out to Button Point could be a GREAT way to spend a day if you live in the NE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXkubUnKFQY

Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing!

I'm relocating out that way later this summer and the on-field restaurant was one of the $100 burger spots I was thinking of doing. Since I fly a Cessna retract (Cardinal RG), I'm a little antsy about grass strips though. How well maintained is the turf?

Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing!

I'm relocating out that way later this summer and the on-field restaurant was one of the $100 burger spots I was thinking of doing. Since I fly a Cessna retract (Cardinal RG), I'm a little antsy about grass strips though. How well maintained is the turf?

No problem on landing there in a retract. I was in there in 2008 with a friend in his R182. One of our group landed his Twin Commander there too.

Nice video,great place,they do several group fly ins a year.

Basin Harbor is a great destination! And this has my vote for the crew car of the year!!!!

-Skip

Attachments

• Flying North 017.jpg
    Flying North 017.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Flying North 014.jpg
    Flying North 014.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 24
A Seneca retract twin came in while I was there, and they likely have higher tire pressures than your Cardinal does. If they can get in, you won't have any trouble. It would be good to check with the resort, or the restaurant if you are coming in shortly after a big rain. You want to be sure the turf has drained and firmed up before you land there. My plane is based on a grass strip, but the turf and grass condition at Basin Harbor were much better. Their runway must be maintained by the same crew that maintains the golf course at the resort.

A Seneca retract twin came in while I was there, and they likely have higher tire pressures than your Cardinal does. If they can get in, you won't have any trouble. It would be good to check with the resort, or the restaurant if you are coming in shortly after a big rain. You want to be sure the turf has drained and firmed up before you land there. My plane is based on a grass strip, but the turf and grass condition at Basin Harbor were much better. Their runway must be maintained by the same crew that maintains the golf course at the resort.

It helps that the turf is pitched well to help the runoff. Plus it also pitches end-to-end with the south end the lowest. This area in my vast experience (one visit :redface:) tends to stay soggy longer.

If you are landing to the north, you have plenty of runway to overfly the soft south end and then set down. Always call prior to arrival; they are good at providing PIREPs on the runway. -Skip

Back