BasicMed doctors in Sacramento area

B

BasicMed

I'm looking to transition from a special issuance 3rd class medical to BasicMed at some point in the future. Does anyone know a doctor in the Sacramento area who is familiar with BasicMed and accepts non-network patients? And if they are an AME one who actually understands the difference between a 3rd class medical and a BasicMed physical.

My previous experience with BasicMed was with an AME who looked at my CMEC and, without even talking to me, called the AMCD and read off the conditions on my CMEC to them. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. :rolleyes:

Side note: are there any gotchas? If I get a BasicMed medical do I need to worry about the FAA arbitrarily revoking my special issuance before it expires?

If I get a BasicMed medical do I need to worry about the FAA arbitrarily revoking my special issuance before it expires?

Not a worry. At Dr. Bruce's advice, I got my Basic Med before the ink had dried on my 3rd class SI. The easiest time for a physician to approve Basic Med is immediately after the FAA has just given you a fresh approval.

I'm looking to transition from a special issuance 3rd class medical to BasicMed at some point in the future. Does anyone know a doctor in the Sacramento area who is familiar with BasicMed and accepts non-network patients? And if they are an AME one who actually understands the difference between a 3rd class medical and a BasicMed physical.
Respectfully, you're over-thinking this. A Basic Med physical is just about the same as any other physical, including DOT, for example. Some docs won't do it out of fear of liability if you end up having a heart attack and crash. Other docs, including mine, have no problem going through the checklist, checking-off the boxes, and signing the form as part of my "regular" physical.

If your PCP won't do one, look for docs that do DOT physicals. They might be helpful. Call and ask if they do Basic Med physicals. Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dot+physical+sacramento

Not a worry. At Dr. Bruce's advice, I got my Basic Med before the ink had dried on my 3rd class SI. The easiest time for a physician to approve Basic Med is immediately after the FAA has just given you a fresh approval.
I am trying to help my 17 yr old daughter get her 3rd class clearance. She is almost ready to "solo" for the first time but we are in a "catch-22" situation. She got deferred after checking that she had been diagnosed with very mild cerebral palsy when she was little. (She has no symptoms and doesn't need treatment: swims on swim team, runs, etc.). We need a AME who will refer her to a neurologist for the FFA required exams (ours says he "doesn't do referrals"). Her primary care physician won't do it because it is not medically necessary (Kaiser). Private neurologists outside of Kaiser won't schedule an appointment without a referral from primary care dr. I am hoping to find an AME that will refer her to a neurologist who can do the tests. Can AME dr.s make referrals? As you can tell, we are stuck. Please help!

Respectfully, you're over-thinking this. A Basic Med physical is just about the same as any other physical, including DOT, for example. Some docs won't do it out of fear of liability if you end up having a heart attack and crash. Other docs, including mine, have no problem going through the checklist, checking-off the boxes, and signing the form as part of my "regular" physical.

If your PCP won't do one, look for docs that do DOT physicals. They might be helpful. Call and ask if they do Basic Med physicals. Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=dot+physical+sacramento
One caution about that is that chiropractors can do DOT physicals, but California does not consider them to be physicians, so the ones based in California can't do BasicMed exams. I mention this because one of the locations I see at that link is listed as a chiropractor.

Last edited:

My previous experience with BasicMed was with an AME who looked at my CMEC and, without even talking to me, called the AMCD and read off the conditions on my CMEC to them. Needless to say I wasn't impressed. :rolleyes:

Side note: are there any gotchas? If I get a BasicMed medical do I need to worry about the FAA arbitrarily revoking my special issuance before it expires?
The FAA cannot withdraw the Special Issuance after the underlying medical certificate has expired.

I am trying to help my 17 yr old daughter get her 3rd class clearance. She is almost ready to "solo" for the first time but we are in a "catch-22" situation. She got deferred after checking that she had been diagnosed with very mild cerebral palsy when she was little. (She has no symptoms and doesn't need treatment: swims on swim team, runs, etc.). We need a AME who will refer her to a neurologist for the FFA required exams (ours says he "doesn't do referrals"). Her primary care physician won't do it because it is not medically necessary (Kaiser). Private neurologists outside of Kaiser won't schedule an appointment without a referral from primary care dr. I am hoping to find an AME that will refer her to a neurologist who can do the tests. Can AME dr.s make referrals? As you can tell, we are stuck. Please help!
Unfortunately, if her PCP will not give you a referral because it's "not medically necessary" you may need to find a neurologist who will accept cash payment, and perform the tests required by the FAA letter.

Thank you for your responses. We are going to try getting referred to a neurologist by our eyr dr. (and paying cash for exam). We visit him tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers he can refer us and it will all be taken care of soon. If this fails, a chiropractor is a great idea! He or she may be able to refer us if we visit one in Nevada. Thanks for your help and ideas!

Back