Basic Med Restriction

• Thread starter Basic Med Restriction
  • Start date
B

Basic Med Restriction

I am going to be moving to a new area of the country shortly so I am inquiring with a few different clubs on membership. One club that looked particularly promising said they only accept class 3 medical or better, no basic med. Has anyone else run into this? This is to fly Cessna 172's. Nice planes but nothing fancy. I had switched to basic med a few years back for convenience and don't really want to go back to a class 3.

I haven't seen this in years, but dinosaurs are real and still exist.

It was not uncommon in the first year or two, but all of the flight schools or clubs around me have had a chance to learn the rules and are OK with BM

A very important aspect of clubs & partnerships is compatibility with the incumbents. I would not fit in with this crowd. Only you can determine if you do.

Some insurance companies won't insure BasicMed pilots over a certain age. This rule may have been instituted as a means of not discriminating against older club members. But then again, who knows?

Usually arbitrary flying club rules are a result of some event in the past that resulted in a bump insurance costs or direct costs to members.

Usually arbitrary flying club rules are a result of some event in the past that resulted in a bump insurance costs or direct costs to members.
To put a finer point on this: a rule may be a product of something that was true at one time, but may no longer be true.

See if you can talk to one of the club officers.

"Why don't you accept basicmed?"
"Because our insurance doesn't allow it."
"When was the last time you asked?"
"Oh, in 2019."
"Mind calling them again?"
"Well how about that, they do allow it..."

Some insurance companies won't insure BasicMed pilots over a certain age. This rule may have been instituted as a means of not discriminating against older club members.

True, and if it's an equity club the older members would be part owners of the aircraft. Tough to tell them they can't fly their own airplanes, and it could be difficult or impossible to buy them out.

Back