Basic Med and Atrial Flutter

S

sda

I developed atrial flutter approximately 2 years ago. I underwent electrical cardioversion successfully. I then had an echo, Holter, and thallium stress test which were all normal. Over the next 2 months I went back into flutter twice requiring cardioversion. I then had RF ablation and have been in a normal rhythm for 22 months. I take no medications. I stopped flying, but want to get back in it under basic med. I know I will need a one time SI. My question is, will I have to repeat the echo and stress test for the SI or will the ones performed 2 years ago suffice?

You'll need recent testing, I think they usually have to be within 90 days. You will want to get a consult with an AME before you go in for your exam to understand what they're going to be looking for and to ensure that you still pass that standard.

If you need a recommendation, Dr Chien - A+ senior ame. http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/

Alternately, LSA is an option too. You don't need to do a thing for that except have a driver's license and go get current. It's limited to daytime flying / light sport aircraft, but that isn't really a huge deal.

What makes you think you will need the one-time SI? Were you diagnosed with coronary disease as well as arrhythmia? Did you have a valve replacement? Last I checked, arrhythmia per se is not listed in Part 68 or the statute as one of the conditions requiring the one-time SI, nor is RF ablation listed as a procedure that triggers the requirement.

Of course, you need to convince the physician doing the physical that your issue is resolved and that you present no risk when acting as PIC, but it sounds as if you have that well covered.

I believe Azure is correct. Heart rhythm issues are not on the required SI list.

That would be great. I guess I assumed I would have to get an SI, but in looking at the basic med requirements more closely I guess I don't. Thank you. Now to find a doc to sign me off.

Yeah, the requirements are pretty specific as to what conditions require the SI. At first glance one can easily think that if it's related to mental health, neurology, or the heart, you need the SI, but that is not necessarily the case.

Good luck! :)

If your pcp is convinced thst toy sre not one of the ~7% of AFIB that is actually coronary in origin, you do not need an SI.

He will likely have you do a treadmill, and if willing, sign you off.

Add the holter and one time echo, which would then qualify you for an unnecessary SI. :)

B

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back