Basic basicmed question

B

BAsicpilot

So we have to carry the completion certificate and the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist on record. Just the last page or all 9 pages?

Don't Sport Pilots have to carry their logbooks? Not that is germane to this thread since they don't require any medical, not even BasicMed. Just curious as I thought they had to to prove endorsement such as towered airport ops.

From AOPA and faa guys yesterday evening conf on basicmed .... u are not required to carry anything on you. Just have a legible digital copy and u r good

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

And as a LSA pilot I do not carry the logbook. As a freshly minted BasicMed pilot I do not carry the logbook. As a PPL I did not carry a logbook. As LSA pilot , BasicMed, and PPL I must make the logbook available upon request by "the authorties" whoever they are. That part was never clear to me.

From AOPA and faa guys yesterday evening conf on basicmed .... u are not required to carry anything on you. Just have a legible digital copy and u r good

You do have to carry a valid U.S. driver's license when flying under BasicMed, but the exam checklist and course certificate can stay home.

You do have to carry a valid U.S. driver's license when flying under BasicMed, but the exam checklist and course certificate can stay home.
Well yah. There was also a discussion around whether it's DL or any state or federal issued photo id. Don't think they came to a conclusion

Seems like requiring you to store it "in your logbook" is pretty much unenforceable, unless you have to go for a checkride or similar occasion where you need to present your logbook to a DPE or FAA inspector. Usually one doesn't carry the logbook at all. My BasicMed certificate is in the same drawer as my logbook, but if I have to carry the logbook because I'm flying with a CFI, I'm sure not going to carry the certificate as there is no reason the CFI needs to see it. If I was flying with the logbook for whatever reason and I got ramped, I would just not present the logbook as there is no requirement to carry it. As long as I can make logbook and certificate available upon request, I consider myself to be fulfilling the requirements of the statute.

Which brings up another question I don't know the answer to: CAN you even take a checkride on BasicMed? In the past you've needed at least a 3rd class to take any checkride because you needed to be qualified to be PIC. Now with BasicMed it seems you should be okay with only the BM certificate (assuming the plane you're doing the checkride in is covered) - unless it's spelled out explicitly somewhere that you need a medical certificate with a numbered class.

Well yah. There was also a discussion around whether it's DL or any state or federal issued photo id. Don't think they came to a conclusion

It has to be a DL. It's in the BasicMed FAQ and Advisory Circular on the FAA website.

Which brings up another question I don't know the answer to: CAN you even take a checkride on BasicMed? In the past you've needed at least a 3rd class to take any checkride because you needed to be qualified to be PIC. Now with BasicMed it seems you should be okay with only the BM certificate (assuming the plane you're doing the checkride in is covered) - unless it's spelled out explicitly somewhere that you need a medical certificate with a numbered class.
Yes you can take any checkride with BasicMed. A medical certificate was explicitly required but they added the BasicMed exemption to that rule.

I can't think of any reason to carry all pages, physically or digitally. The page with the doc's signature should be all you need.

Some of the other pages have confidential medical data, and you don't want to carry that around and have it blow all over the ramp when you drop it.

It has to be a DL. It's in the BasicMed FAQ and Advisory Circular on the FAA website.
Dunno. The FAA guy said the circular, 68 whatever is still being reviewed and might change soon

Seems like requiring you to store it "in your logbook" is pretty much unenforceable, unless you have to go for a checkride or similar occasion where you need to present your logbook to a DPE or FAA inspector. Usually one doesn't carry the logbook at all. My BasicMed certificate is in the same drawer as my logbook, but if I have to carry the logbook because I'm flying with a CFI, I'm sure not going to carry the certificate as there is no reason the CFI needs to see it. If I was flying with the logbook for whatever reason and I got ramped, I would just not present the logbook as there is no requirement to carry it. As long as I can make logbook and certificate available upon request, I consider myself to be fulfilling the requirements of the statute.

Yes basicmed valid for checkride

You need a photo ID to fly even with a normal medical these days.

You need a photo ID to fly even with a normal medical these days.
I know but for BasicMed you need to have a driver's license on you. If you fly under BasicMed with a passport and no driver's license you are breaking the law.

You do realize we have a "FAA guy" who has been very involved with BasicMed? @Brad Z

Thanks AM88.

I think all of the questions on this thread have been accurately answered, but I'll recap...
Question: So we have to carry the completion certificate and the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist on record. Just the last page or all 9 pages?
Answer: You only are required to carry your valid driver's license. You must retain the checklist and course completion certificate in your logbook, in paper, digitally, etc. Here's internal FAA guidance to inspectors that clarifies this.

Statement: There was also a discussion around whether it's DL or any state or federal issued photo id. Don't think they came to a conclusion
Clarification: The requirement for a valid driver's license is to establish medical eligibility to operate a motor vehicle. A photo ID does not provide that. Note that you must abide by any restrictions on your driver's license when operating under BasicMed.

Question: CAN you even take a checkride on BasicMed?
Answer: Yes, you may take a practical test using BasicMed, provided you meet all of the requirements

Statement: The FAA guy said the circular, 68 whatever is still being reviewed and might change soon
Clarification: AC 68-1A was published on 5/3

Statement: You do realize we have a "FAA guy" who has been very involved with BasicMed?
Clarification: I'm just some dude who likes to fly small planes and happens to have a job in downtown DC.

And as a LSA pilot I do not carry the logbook. As a freshly minted BasicMed pilot I do not carry the logbook. As a PPL I did not carry a logbook. As LSA pilot , BasicMed, and PPL I must make the logbook available upon request by "the authorties" whoever they are. That part was never clear to me.

As a PPL exercising Sport Pilot privileges, you don't have to carry your logbooks. One whose highest certificate is Sport Pilot is required to carry their logs or some other form of documentation of endorsements per Sec. 61.51 — Pilot logbooks.

SportPilotLog.JPG

As a PPL exercising Sport Pilot privileges, you don't have to carry your logbooks. One whose highest certificate is Sport Pilot is required to carry their logs or some other form of documentation of endorsements per Sec. 61.51 — Pilot logbooks.

View attachment 53835
It's worth noting that the concept of a logbook is somewhat nebulous. A logbook could be a roll of double ply toilet paper that you use to log aeronautical experience for proof of currency and to meet additional certificate or rating requirements. Unless the regs specifically say you must have something with you, you only need that document be available upon request. Even still, if a logbook is required for a specific reason, (such as endorsements for student pilots) you only have to have the endorsement with you...not the whole book. A logbook may be partially electronic and partially paper. It doesn't really matter.

Nothing wrong with carrying all pertinent and required documentation in case of a ramp check or worse. That could include a pilot cert, picture ID, passport, medical cert, logbook, CCW weapons permit, immigration papers or Visa.

It's worth noting that the concept of a logbook is somewhat nebulous. A logbook could be a roll of double ply toilet paper that you use to log aeronautical experience for proof of currency and to meet additional certificate or rating requirements. Unless the regs specifically say you must have something with you, you only need that document be available upon request. Even still, if a logbook is required for a specific reason, (such as endorsements for student pilots) you only have to have the endorsement with you...not the whole book. A logbook may be partially electronic and partially paper. It doesn't really matter.

Hence the "or some other form of documentation of endorsements" in my statement.

After you get your Basic Med you are supposed to or required to take the Medical Self Assessment course on line. To pass the course you need 80% or better. As far as I know you also need keep a copy of completion certificate with your logbook. There is a wallet size copy to keep for convince.

Nothing wrong with carrying all pertinent and required documentation in case of a ramp check or worse. That could include a pilot cert, picture ID, passport, medical cert, logbook, CCW weapons permit, immigration papers or Visa.
I don't carry my logbook while flying primarily because carrying it around increases the chances of it getting lost.

Note about the BasicMed test.

If the question has you on the ground, the answer is: "Don't fly the plane."

If the question has you in the air, the answer is "Fly the plane."

regarding carrying the BasicMed signed documents and completion certificate...

If you are a MyFlightBook user, @EricBe has provided a slot to capture photos or PDF of the documents and have that available as part of your electronic logbook.

So that fits how will comply with the rule.... Though I sorta like @Brad Z's idea of some 2-ply.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back