Barotrauma due to mild eustachian tube dysfunction

B

Barotrauma

I saw an ENT this morning about my ears clogging up on > 500 fpm descents. The above was his diagnosis. He recommended using Flonase starting 3 days before the flight, and just before the flight, even after I told him it's not recommended that I fly until 2x the time between doses has elapsed). I figure that I can try it as long as I'm not the PIC.

The alternative was to insert a tube into my Eustachian tubes, and I'd never have the problem again. He said I don't want to do that. My mother-in-law said that one of my wife's friends had that done and she was really happy about that. Apparently, the tubes last about a year.

Anyone else have this problem and successfully deal with it? If so, what was the solution?

I do not think that Flonase is on the list of meds that require waiting for 5 half lives before flying. It is just a topical nasal corticosteroid. No sedating side effects. Your ENT is attempting to reduce the inflammatory congestion in the tissues lining your Eustachian tubes allowing proper flux of equalizing air from the pharyngeal end. Give it a go. It is available in a combination with azelastine (an antihistamine) which is very effective IME. The combination is called Dymista but is generic now. It would be considered a topical antihistamine but I’m unsure of Aeromed’s stance on azelastine intranasal.

I do not think that Flonase is on the list of meds that require waiting for 5 half lives before flying. It is just a topical nasal corticosteroid. No sedating side effects. Your ENT is attempting to reduce the inflammatory congestion in the tissues lining your Eustachian tubes allowing proper flux of equalizing air from the pharyngeal end. Give it a go. It is available in a combination with azelastine (an antihistamine) which is very effective IME. The combination is called Dymista but is generic now. It would be considered a topical antihistamine but I’m unsure of Aeromed’s stance on azelastine intranasal.
Thank you very much. I looked Dymista up on Amazon and it's by prescription there. Guess I'll wait to see how Flonase works first.

Thank you very much. I looked Dymista up on Amazon and it's by prescription there. Guess I'll wait to see how Flonase works first.
You can buy azelastine OTC and use it twice daily along with Flonase; in effect you have Dymista. ;)

I frequently experienced barotrauma as an active skydiver. I had adult pseudo-permanent t-tubes put in in 2003. They worked AMAZINGLY! Never had any pressure issues again. I had them removed in 2022 after 19 years to solve a persistent infection that caused me frequent ear pain. The left one fell out after 12 years and was replaced. Needless to say they last well beyond a year. The procedure is quick and painless and performed in the doctor's office.

There are things to consider if you love water. Believe it or not you can still swim or even scuba dive. It just requires some forethought.

For swimming I recommend using Mack's ear plugs to prevent most if not all water getting in. They mold to your canal and mostly seal. I often wore a neoprene headband to insure they don't get dislodged. But none to worry if they do. It's a super weird experience having water rush into you middle ear but it's not harmful. Although it might cause some people to get nausea and possibly puke.

For scuba you can use the ear plugs too but only if you are certain the tubes are open (not covered or plugged with wax). You absolutely can not use ear plugs with a solid (normal) ear drum because the air trapped between the plug and drum will get compressed at depth and possibly cause injury. The hole in the tube prevents this. I've also gone diving several times without plugs but wouldn't do it again. It made me feel like crap afterwords and it takes several days to get the water out of the ears. Plus dirty water requires pre and post dive treatment with ciprofloxacin ear drops.

Back