Baron Panel Makeover Ideas

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Think I'm leaning toward keeping the Baron vice moving up to a cabin twin.

With that in mind, I'm looking at upgrading the panel.

Here is what I currently have:

Old school AI
Century NSD-360A Slaved HSI
Avidyne 650 MFD (displays the 430 GPS input and my onboard radar)
GNS 430 (non-WAAS)
Collins VHF-251 (Comm 2)
Collins VIR-351 (Nav 2)
Collins IND-351 (VOR/LOC/GS)
Century IV A/P
Collins TDR-950 xpdr
onboard Radar

My goals: I'd like to replace the AI/HSI with a single ASPEN EFD1000 Pro
and upgrade to ADS-B out capability

If I replace or upgrade the MFD, I need to stick with Avidyne since they support the onboard radar (I'd have to look up the model, but I know Garmin products won't support).

Am I better off buying a new WAAS Garmin and moving the GNS430 down to fill the secondary COMM/Nav slot?

Obviously, I need WAAS for the ADS-B.

I don't need to do it all at once. So far everything in the panel works.....but I suspect that the first thing to die is going be the HSI (slaved, but it still occasionally drifts and sometimes when I adjust the heading bug, it slews the whole card).

Thoughts on how to get the most bang for the buck?

I'd be looking at the Avidyne navigators. They'd be my first choice right now if my 480 died.

Leave enough empty space next to the GPS so you can put your EFB of choice in/on the panel rather than on your lap/yoke. Trust me, once it is there you will hate it anywhere else.

There's some talk about a part 23 re-write which I'm not familiar with. But I heard that they are pushing toward non-certified avionics into certified aircraft. If this passes, I would get the Garmin G3X (touchscreen version).

Last edited:
There's some talk about a part 23 re-write which I'm not familiar with. But I heard that they are pushing toward non-certified avionics into certified aircraft. If this passes, I would get the Garmin G3X (touchscreen version).

Won't work for him by weight as the rules have been proposed.:(

If they up the GW to 6000lbs, that would be good, but I sure wouldn't be holding my breath. The new G3X is extremely nice.

Henning do you know if the proposed rules would apply for autopilots for aircraft under 6000lbs? I'd love to put a GSA 28 and GMC 305 autopilot controller in my plane.

I recently spent $30k on an avionics upgrade and I wish I did my research. The G3X touchscreen looks realllllly nice! Not sure what would happen to the value of my Garmin G500 and Aspen 2000 though.

Last edited:
Henning do you know if the proposed rules would apply for autopilots for aircraft under 6000lbs? I'd love to put a GSA 28 and GMC 305 autopilot controller in my plane.

I recently spent $30k on an avionics upgrade and I wish I did my research. The G3X touchscreen looks realllllly nice! Not sure what would happen to the value of my Garmin G500 and Aspen 2000 though.

Everything was single engine below a pretty low weight. Hopefully the final will expand that to anything under 6000lbs, but there is nothing to indicate such would happen.

Have you considered a blender for frozen drinks?

As for the GNS WAAS unit if you have to stay with Avidyne for the MFD have you considered their IFD units for the GPS? They are all WAAS .

What are the complaints about the new B/K waas gps? specs and pricing look decent.

Have you considered a blender for frozen drinks?

As for the GNS WAAS unit if you have to stay with Avidyne for the MFD have you considered their IFD units for the GPS? They are all WAAS .

Oooh! Maybe you get a microwave for popcorn or hot chocolate on long flights!

It's so much fun telling other people who to spend their money, isn't it!

John:D

What are the complaints about the new B/K waas gps? specs and pricing look decent.

My main concern is where will the program be in 5 years.:dunno: B/K and the whole GA market for Honeywell is pretty much treated as a red headed step child. If it doesn't grab maker share, which the Connex/Flight Stream and Garmin Pilot link nearly assures, I have no belief that these units will be supported in 5 years.

Back