Barney has left the building

smigaldi said:
Louis Nye, same guy right?? Comedian with Steve Allen??

He died last year in October.
Uh oh! I musta read something wrong! :redface:

You are correct. I just had a couple of photos of Don Knotts come through our database for tomorrows paper
and did a search on Fox News. Somehow the obit for Louis Nye came up right under Don Knotts.

Last edited:
Frank Browne said:

You are correct. I just had a couple of photos of Don Knotts come through our database for tomorrows paper
and did a search on Fox News. Somehow the obit for Louis Nye came up right under Don Knotts.

It happens, if you figure it out let us know. But back to Barney....

I saw a quote form him this weekend that said if he was remembered for ever as Barney Fife that was ok by him as it was a great character. Refreshing, too many actors reject that for which they are beloved.

gkainz said:
Loved Dennis Weaver in McCloud ... " 'preciate that, Chief."

Sunday Mystery Movies were great:
McCloud
McMillan and wife
and
Columbo

But wasn't there a 4th series for the Sunday mystery movie crew??

I think I liked McCloud the best. It appealed to my inner redneck :goofy:

smigaldi said:
I saw a quote form him this weekend that said if he was remembered for ever as Barney Fife that was ok by him as it was a great character. Refreshing, too many actors reject that for which they are beloved.

So true. I still watch Andy Griffith sometimes. It's one of those TV shows ya just never really get tired of.

smigaldi said:
I think I liked McCloud the best. It appealed to my inner redneck :goofy:
My favorite Dennis Weaver character was "Chester" from Gunsmoke.

Mister Dillon...mister Dillon...

Frank Browne said:
So true. I still watch Andy Griffith sometimes. It's one of those TV shows ya just never really get tired of.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I was talking to some people about the show. It had never really occured to me but if you look at the Barney character he was somewhat of a martinette. He wanted respect and authority just because he wore a uniform. He was made out to be a bit of a buffoon because of that. Andy on the other hand was repsected not because he had on a uniform, indeed he was more casual. He was respected because he was fair and nice.

In light of what was about to happen in the 1960's and throughout the show's run to 1968 this was what they were telling us. It really was an allagory to the anti authority theme of that decade.

Frank Browne said:

That's because they both were regulars on The Steve Allen show. Steve also died last year.

Bill Jennings said:
I liked that one because I thought Susan StJames was hot.

Sorry she was mine.:D Yeah, she caught my fancy. Too bad about her son last year.

very sad day indeed. barney was my favorite of the bunch. i doubt i've gone a week in the last 40+yrs without seeing an episode of andy griffith. or as we call it, "the barney fife show". :( tc

Back