Banner Plane down in Boone,IA RIP

That sucks. I'm in the area and it was pretty windy today. No idea if that was a factor.
Another source said the plane was a cessna 150.

Thats what I heard to at the FBO.

Reports are that he got too low and the banner started dragging in a cornfield, causing him to stall in.

Sad indeed.

Looking at the map, I'm pretty sure I have sprayed and/or put fertilizer on that field.

I saw a pic on KCCI's website, and the tail section had 150/180 on it... 180hp 150 maybe?

Sad indeed.

Looking at the map, I'm pretty sure I have sprayed and/or put fertilizer on that field.

I saw a pic on KCCI's website, and the tail section had 150/180 on it... 180hp 150 maybe?

probably. i suspect even a 150/150 would be a marginal banner tow plane. 180hp 150 has a little more vroom vroom. thats what i towed with down in Marfa. very fun without a glider.

probably. i suspect even a 150/150 would be a marginal banner tow plane. 180hp 150 has a little more vroom vroom. thats what i towed with down in Marfa. very fun without a glider.
On the red board someone who is "in the know" said it was a 180hp 150. I was flying one today towing gliders. They're pretty capable.

Ryan

Reports are that he got too low and the banner started dragging in a cornfield, causing him to stall in.

I used to tow banners years ago... We had two 'safety' stress links of some sort along the tow assembly for the banner. I'd have to replace them about every two weeks as they would stretch out just under normal towing. I wonder if this operation didn't use them, or used ones with too high a load rating?

Back