Banner aerodynamics

Silvaire

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Silvaire
I've never thought about it that much but just figured the tow line would be attached at a point above the CG so the banner would always stream right side up. With Superbowl weekend there have been banner towers circling the city all week and the banners fly at a constant 45 degree angle. How do they do that?

I've never thought about it that much but just figured the tow line would be attached at a point above the CG so the banner would always stream right side up. With Superbowl weekend there have been banner towers circling the city all week and the banners fly at a constant 45 degree angle. How do they do that?

45 degrees? They all looked level to me....?

Maybe not all but the two Bud Lite ones and at least a couple others

Depends on what you mean by banner. The traditional mesh ones with the letters aren't quite as draggy as the ones which are essentially towed aerial billboards.

Not sure if you were close enough to notice but the banners are weighted on the bottom as well. Sometimes they don't fly level (most times) but rather at an angle that makes them more readable. Depends on who the target audience is. If the plane is right overhead the banner is tilted so the audience immediately below can read, if they are a ways off the banner is more straight up and down. Its all done by weighting and tow line location.

Frank

I understand the reason for them being at an angle. I was just wondering if anyone knew the actual control details of how it's done. Are they adjustable for say, flying counter-clockwise circles as opposed to clockwise or for flying off shore with beach to the left or right?

6042070361_c6f4b0c210.jpg

You can tow banners with a 150hp Super Cub. So it doesnt take all that much. Im sure they slow you down but they can do it up to 8000' in Colorado. They tow over Red Rocks etc. Banner towing kinda got hit hard by the stadium TFR's.

We run a flight school with a small banner towing operation, and yes the banners are designed to fly at an angle of in around 45 degree's or so to the observer. If the banner flew dead straight then you wouldn't be able to read it clearly from the ground.

This is achieved by the " lead pole " which is attached to the front of the banner being weighted at its bottom end ( to ensure it flies right side up ) and there is an aerodynamic trim tab known as a "kicker" on the pole to help it fly at an angle so as it can be read from the ground. The "kicker" often needs slight adjustment depending on the length of banner in use.

I can get a few photos of the bits if anyone is really interested !

We run a flight school with a small banner towing operation, and yes the banners are designed to fly at an angle of in around 45 degree's or so to the observer. If the banner flew dead straight then you wouldn't be able to read it clearly from the ground.

This is achieved by the " lead pole " which is attached to the front of the banner being weighted at its bottom end ( to ensure it flies right side up ) and there is an aerodynamic trim tab known as a "kicker" on the pole to help it fly at an angle so as it can be read from the ground. The "kicker" often needs slight adjustment depending on the length of banner in use.

I can get a few photos of the bits if anyone is really interested
!

:needpics::needpics:

I can get a few photos of the bits if anyone is really interested !

Interested. This is a great question. I have often wondered how banner towing works in detail.

Back