Display name:
dogman
This Happened today
Olathe KS
Bankrobber holds up bank
Has Hostages strip to underwear
uses Hostages as sheilds to get to mini-van
gets away
goes to Johnson county Execututive (OJC)and drives up to a 172 with instructor and student aboard. Pulls Gun , they bail out of Passenger side door.
Police arrive and shot the suspect and the 172.
Instructor and Student unharmed as well as other hostages.

Lookslike the Suspect was a Pilot

More Bad Publicity For GA

That is all I could out of the News report.

dogman said:
Police arrive and shot the suspect and the 172.

They shot the plane too? I hope it lived and can be nursed back to good health soon.

Pull the jerk's license if he's got one. Hang him at the airport entrance as a warning to others.

BTW: I know several pilots that if you pull that stunt on them, they will most certainly shoot you the first instant they determine they can get a round off. Fair's fair.

This is why we don't need airport security do-gooders violating our 2nd Amendment right. Resistance free zones need to be completely eliminated.

The existence of a NOTAM should be expected. The crime scene in such a situation would be rather large, and airport operations at a smaller airport would be severely hindered while the investigation and evidence collection is ongoing. With the airport shut down, a NOTAM has to be issued.

fgcason said:
They shot the plane too? I hope it lived and can be nursed back to good health soon.

Pull the jerk's license if he's got one. Hang him at the airport entrance as a warning to others.

BTW: I know several pilots that if you pull that stunt on them, they will most certainly shoot you the first instant they determine they can get a round off. Fair's fair.

This is why we don't need airport security do-gooders violating our 2nd Amendment right. Resistance free zones need to be completely eliminated.

Frank, if you ever been shooting with some average cops, you won't be surprised if it turns out they shot several planes, some cars, and a few buildings. Most cops shoot for crap.

Brian Austin said:
Ah, yes. What they lack in accuracy, they make up for with volume. :D

Sounds like a good reason for a shotgun. Point, squeeze, big pattern spray, to a certain distance.

I was a cop in what seems like was another lifetime. When I started in law enforcement (late 1980's) semi-autos were just coming on the scene. In fact, half of my academy class (including me) were still carrying revolvers. 6 rounds in the weapon, 12 extra rounds in the 2 speedloaders.

When I got out of the profession, in 2000, I was carrying a 9 mm semi-auto. 17 round magazine, and 1 in the tube, for 18 rounds total in just the weapon alone (also carried 2 spare magazines).

Luckily, I never had to fire a shot. I always wondered, however, if having all that ammunition available might not give someone a "spray and pray" attitude, especially in the heat of an actual shootout.

pete177 said:
Ahem......Bullsh*t......thank you:)

Ya'll stroke your... egos. :p But I was a cop for a lot of years, and I know that most cops are lucky not to shoot their foot off. When I was in, SPs shot their primary weapon once every six months, and other weapons annually. That's hardly enough to breed competence, much less expertise. Being on the EST, I got a bunch more trigger time, and shooting competitively on my own I got even more. But I was a DISTINCT minority. 99% shot shot when they had to. By the time I got out, even quals on the primary duty weapon had been reduced to an annual event :(. That still the case, Pete?

HuskerMedic said:
I was a cop in what seems like was another lifetime. When I started in law enforcement (late 1980's) semi-autos were just coming on the scene. In fact, half of my academy class (including me) were still carrying revolvers. 6 rounds in the weapon, 12 extra rounds in the 2 speedloaders.

When I got out of the profession, in 2000, I was carrying a 9 mm semi-auto. 17 round magazine, and 1 in the tube, for 18 rounds total in just the weapon alone (also carried 2 spare magazines).

Luckily, I never had to fire a shot. I always wondered, however, if having all that ammunition available might not give someone a "spray and pray" attitude, especially in the heat of an actual shootout.

Look at the recent shooting in LA (I think) where the cops shot at a van that came at them after a chose. Some 115 rounds fired, and a cop shot... by another cop.

Joe Williams said:
Ya'll stroke your... egos. :p But I was a cop for a lot of years, and I know that most cops are lucky not to shoot their foot off. When I was in, SPs shot their primary weapon once every six months, and other weapons annually. That's hardly enough to breed competence, much less expertise. Being on the EST, I got a bunch more trigger time, and shooting competitively on my own I got even more. But I was a DISTINCT minority. 99% shot shot when they had to. By the time I got out, even quals on the primary duty weapon had been reduced to an annual event :(. That still the case, Pete?

I was est too, in the 80's. Offutt and Spangdhalem. At spang we shot primary duty weapon every 6 months. SPQC and AFQC, remember? Thing was, on any given day, as 81150 we carried either a 16 and 203 or m60 or shotgun or just the 16 or gau. You had to qual with all of them so you ended up on the range constantly. If you were est, you shot more. Same at offutt. Most of us with any time in learned to shoot very well. I got out after 4 and went into the NJ Air Guard where I got commisioned (after university) as a trans officer, then supply officer. Not much shooting there:) I left my full time career as a stock broker and went back into the active duty air force as an SP officer after 911. Do my part and all. The guys dont seem to shoot as much now, ammo supply is tighter, especially with the war. But even before that, the older nco's that were in when you and I were in, in the early 80's ('82 for me) say that the troops shoot less now. I've been on the range some in the last 3 years, and while I shoot much better than 90% of the troops, for the most part they shoot pretty well with few exceptions. I'd like to see them get more range time though, as well as start using some of the pop up ranges the army has. Even as a young troop I noticed that our career field got some pretty inconsistent training. Some of the more high speed guys got oodles of training and some guys just got the bare minimum. Still the case today. Not sure how to fix it. Add to that the air force has gone completely safety crazy and I'm afraid many of the young troops are not getting even the same amount or quality of training that we got. On the brighter side, as a career field we've taken very few casualties in the recent war. Only one fatality that I know of and another guy stepped on a mine at Balad, I think it was. Lost his legs. I met the troop that carried him to safety. Good troop. With any luck, the hard parts over.
Pete

pete177 said:
I was est too, in the 80's. Offutt and Spangdhalem. At spang we shot primary duty weapon every 6 months. SPQC and AFQC, remember? Thing was, on any given day, as 81150 we carried either a 16 and 203 or m60 or shotgun or just the 16 or gau. You had to qual with all of them so you ended up on the range constantly. If you were est, you shot more. Same at offutt. Most of us with any time in learned to shoot very well. I got out after 4 and went into the NJ Air Guard where I got commisioned (after university) as a trans officer, then supply officer. Not much shooting there:) I left my full time career as a stock broker and went back into the active duty air force as an SP officer after 911. Do my part and all. The guys dont seem to shoot as much now, ammo supply is tighter, especially with the war. But even before that, the older nco's that were in when you and I were in, in the early 80's ('82 for me) say that the troops shoot less now. I've been on the range some in the last 3 years, and while I shoot much better than 90% of the troops, for the most part they shoot pretty well with few exceptions. I'd like to see them get more range time though, as well as start using some of the pop up ranges the army has. Even as a young troop I noticed that our career field got some pretty inconsistent training. Some of the more high speed guys got oodles of training and some guys just got the bare minimum. Still the case today. Not sure how to fix it. Add to that the air force has gone completely safety crazy and I'm afraid many of the young troops are not getting even the same amount or quality of training that we got. On the brighter side, as a career field we've taken very few casualties in the recent war. Only one fatality that I know of and another guy stepped on a mine at Balad, I think it was. Lost his legs. I met the troop that carried him to safety. Good troop. With any luck, the hard parts over.
Pete

I was actually in mid-80s to mid-90s. We never did shoot a whole bunch, unless we went looking for different kinds of training, like some of us did. In Alaska, I had a commander who'd lost an eye in Vietnam who was fanatic about training. He's the one who taught me to be an NCO. One of the commanders I had in Guam was much the same way. Others, more worried about getting out of SP hell. We could surely tell the difference between career SP officers, and those whose buddies had gotten them a command slot to fill for promotion. Anyway, one of the deciding factors for me in getting out was when we started shooting primary duty weapons once a year, and when we found ourselves yelling "bang, bang" during exercises because our commander said we were using to many blanks and spending too much money in training. I looked around and realized all the mid-career NCOs I knew that weren't married were getting out. I decided there was no way I would lead kids that weren't trained to war, and got out when my last extension was up.

Back