Band of Brothers.

My only complaint about the book is that it is not intended for a reader who knows little about military tactics. Even having watched the miniseries a number of times, I have trouble picturing some of the scenarios by Ambroses' descriptions. With that said, the personal stories are spectacular.

Wild Bill Guarnere passed away on March 8th. I was fortunate enough to meet him a few years ago. May his soul rest in peace.

Wait a minute. This can get confusing:

Band of Brothers -- an aviation novel by Ernest K. Gann. This is a great novel and one that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Band of Brothers -- about Easy company by Stephan E. Ambrose (nothing much to do with aviation.) I haven't read the book.

Band of Brothers -- a ten part World War II television mini-series based on the Ambrose book. I did try to watch this, but gave up after a while. It was long and boring.

One other book seems to also get in the mix:

FlyBoys by James Brady. For some reason I could not read this book either, it seemed confusing, and boring.

FlyBoys the World War I movie. A merely ok movie.

Last edited:
As an ex paratrooper, I own the mini series, but I can not believe I have not read the book. Now I want both, Gann's and Ambrose's. Gann is by far my favorite author. I thought I had all of his books. I will start the hunt.

-John

Loved the miniseries, great cast.

Got back yesterday from a visit to the battlefields of Normandy. We drove by the memorial to Dick Winters. Our tour guide (retired Army BG) said Winters didn't want the memorial...felt his men deserved one, more.

The airborne museum in Ste. Mere Eglise is fantastic. The C-47 and Waco glider are housed in buildings with parachute-shaped roofs.

70 years later, and stuff is still being dug up. One couple I met had unearthed a parachute harness just the week before.

Saw more American flags in Normandy than I do in the US....

Ron Wanttaja

Attachments

• musee airborne.jpg
    musee airborne.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 11
  • stained_glass.JPG
    stained_glass.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Back