Balloon Tether

I used to be a ReMax agent years ago. I have many hours working the teather set up. Thanks for the pics! Good fun!

Last edited:
I do these usually a few times per week including free flights for Remax. My old boss is their pilot for the Indiana area. Most people don't realize how much work this is!!

Mike

The talk show host, Neal Boortz, holds a commercial certificate for hot air balloons. Years ago, he gave rides for paying passengers, mostly the romantic passage along with a bottle of champaign.

A few years ago, he told the story of a ride that took them over the Yerkes Primate Center in Lawrenceville Georgia. I can't recall why but for some reason he had to start coming down. I don't recall if it was just time to come down or possibly getting too close to the airport. The field he started to drop into turned out to be an open area at Yerkes. Just as he was nearing ground, hundreds of monkeys were coming out of the trees and headed for the balloon. Needless to say, he got out of there quickly.

I do these usually a few times per week including free flights for Remax. My old boss is their pilot for the Indiana area. Most people don't realize how much work this is!!

Mike

Your absolutely right Mike. Ballooning is a lot of work. It's so much fun though. I hate the guy I used to crew for dosen't own his own balloon and doesn't do fun flights anymore. :( He mainly helps out the main Remax pilot do tethers and such.

Mike...are you a hot air balloon pilot (LTA)?

The talk show host, Neal Boortz, holds a commercial certificate for hot air balloons. Years ago, he gave rides for paying passengers, mostly the romantic passage along with a bottle of champaign.

A few years ago, he told the story of a ride that took them over the Yerkes Primate Center in Lawrenceville Georgia. I can't recall why but for some reason he had to start coming down. I don't recall if it was just time to come down or possibly getting too close to the airport. The field he started to drop into turned out to be an open area at Yerkes. Just as he was nearing ground, hundreds of monkeys were coming out of the trees and headed for the balloon. Needless to say, he got out of there quickly.

That's funny.

One time this lady pilot I knew...had a person come at her with a gun and threatened to shoot her. I think she ended up calling the FBI and the guy was arrested for interfering with a flight crew member. Maybe she didn't ask for land ownership permission or something. Most everyone I have met are more than welcome to help out...not try and kill us.

Nope...just crewed for the last 9 years with Jeff. He won the US Nationals in 1992 and has been flying for Remax for countless years. I've done so much with the Hot airs...that I hate seeing them LOL. I use the extra I make crewing for flying fixed wing. He's always trying to get me to get my LTA rating so I can fly for him...but I really have no desire. He's got 7-8 Balloons now...with only 2 being Remax logoed...the rest are for the business he runs giving rides.

M

Nope...just crewed for the last 9 years with Jeff. He won the US Nationals in 1992 and has been flying for Remax for countless years. I've done so much with the Hot airs...that I hate seeing them LOL. I use the extra I make crewing for flying fixed wing. He's always trying to get me to get my LTA rating so I can fly for him...but I really have no desire. He's got 7-8 Balloons now...with only 2 being Remax logoed...the rest are for the business he runs giving rides.

M

Wow. When I crewed we were paid by going to dinner. Pete and Tom are trying to get me to go for my LTA but that is even more exspensive than fixed wing. Maybe one day.

Back