Balloon Accidents near Denver

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Four different balloon accidents in a short period due to high winds and landing in high wind conditions. What got my attention was that the owner of one balloon was ticketed because of the field that he chose to land on in emergency or near emergency conditions. Also, a support truck that drove onto the field to assist got ticketed. 12 people on board. He does what he has to and is ticketed because of protection of ground nesting birds.

http://kdvr.com/2013/06/08/four-hot-air-balloons-crash-in-separate-incidents-satuday/

ground nesting birds already ruined the beach, now balloons. Next airplanes.

Attachments

• plover pd.jpg
    plover pd.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
The hot air balloon basket impacted the ground hard, stripping the wild grasses from the ground.

Oh, jeez...we can't have that.

Attended Mountain flying course at BJC on Saturday. Saw all the ballons to the north when driving to airport. Little while later only noticed 1 that was west southwest of airport. Seemed little odd for sure! Hopefully every one does ok!

There will be memorial for the grass btw!

I've got a problem with the comment "This morning’s winds likely caught the balloon pilots off-guard," which is nothing but crap. High winds and gusts along the entire Front Range were forecast as early as Friday evening.

exactly. I was at the restaurant at BJC Saturday am. We watched try to land many times as they headed towards the mountains. Finally about 15 minutes after the last one landed one of the people at our table was a police officer on call. He got called out to the scene where one balloon hit a wire.

Strong winds were forecast for BJC the evening before. Other balloons had canceled because of the forecast. These were commercial ops so I guess the drive for the $ made hem decide to launch.

too bad one got a ticket. It was not the balloon that hit a wire that got a ticket. I guess that is the price you pay.

I've got a problem with the comment "This morning’s winds likely caught the balloon pilots off-guard," which is nothing but crap. High winds and gusts along the entire Front Range were forecast as early as Friday evening.

And have been going on for weeks.

Oh, jeez...we can't have that.

lol... I'll be sure to check with the Audubon Society before declaring any Emergency in the future. Another pre-flight planning task.

Shame the LEOs who ticketed them (assuming that's who ticketed them) don't have more common sense

Shame the LEOs who ticketed them (assuming that's who ticketed them) don't have more common sense

Actually I'm pretty sure the LEOs had no choice. I will wager the law gives them no discretion if a violation occurs, no matter what the reason. Now, on the other hand if a judge enforces any kind of penalty THAT will be a travesty of justice.

Back