Bahamas Fall 2007

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
New England Pilots Group is starting to mull over "The Mother of all Fly-Ins" to the Bahamas this fall. I suspect none of us in the group has gone there before.

Have you flown to the Bahamas? Got any tips to share on procedures or places to stay? Great restaurants? Must-visit beaches? Can you suggest dates, places to stay, things to do?

There are a few threads on it already (just search Cool Places to Fly for 'Bahamas'), but I'd certainly appreciate more up-to-date information myself. Leslie and I have a flight there scheduled for November.

We flew there in '93. The flying was cool and it wasn't a big deal. Plenty of info on how to do it. If you like the Bahamas (we don't) then I strongly suggest you fly there sometime.

For me, it's Grand Cayman. Next year maybe.

We're going the end of July. Went a couple years ago. Let me know what you'd like to know! Get the Bahamas Flying Guide. Lot's of great tips, maps, procedures etc.

Best.

Dave

Hi Aunt Peggy,

Not sure what types of activity and accomodations you are interested in but here are my recommendations for what it's worth. We try to get down there at least once a year.

September is a great time to go--it is less crowded and more private. The negatives are: 1) it's still hotter than winter and spring; 2) hurricanes can sometimes interfere with your scheduling; 3) Bugs are still around--usually worse in the Northern Bahamas. Sometimes the jellyfish are out, too. (usually in the north this time of year).

If you are planning on island hopping (and with your own plane, how could you not? :yes: ), your first stop in the Bahamas needs to be at an airport of entry, where you clear customs and get a cruising permit to take with you to the other islands to show that you've cleared customs. We usually depart the US from Palm Beach (PBI) to Treasure Cay on Abaco for our first stop, but if going to the southern Bahamas, we go to Nassau or Great Exuma International first to clear customs.

Don't know what type of plane you'll be flying/range/comfort level over water, etc., but here is what we like to do...Note: we generally avoid the large touristy places like Grand Bahama, Nassau, and Paradise Island. If you like gambling, shopping, and more civilization, then I recommend the Atlantis Hotel on Paradise Island. It's very nice.

Abaco:

In the northern Bahamas, I recommend Treasure Cay on Abaco and the surrounding smaller cays--Green Turtle, etc. What we usually do is fly into Treasure Cay (no 100LL--get that in nearby Marsh Harbor if you need it) and rent a boat (usually a Dusky) and take it over to Green Turtle Cay and stay at the Bluff House. (I've heard the Green Turtle Club is nice too but never stayed there). You can use the boat to explore all the other cays, find private beaches, snokel, etc. on your own steam. Take your boat to nearby Great Guana Cay and stop in for food and interesting people at Nippers. On Green Turtle, either drive a golf cart, or take your boat to New Plymouth and have dinner at The Wrecking Tree (call them an hour ahead of time if you are hungry). If you like to scuba dive (or want to try it), stop in to Brendal's Dive shop. He's a great guy and a terrific instructor.

If you'd rather stay on Treasure Cay, the main hotel there gives pilots a discount. We pop in a lot last minute and they've always been wonderful. You can still rent a boat and tool around, or take the ferry from Treasure Cay to Green Turtle. If you are remotely inclined to operate a small motor boat, I highly recommend it! If you like to golf, the Treasure Cay golf course is there. You can rent a car from Cornish car rentals to explore the island and rent mopeds.

On Abaco, you can also stay at Marsh Harbor (the airport there has 100 LL) but we don't like it as much as Treasure Cay. Just a personal preference. You can also rent a boat at Marsh Harbor.

Eleuthera:

Pop into North Eleuthera airport and take the ferry to Harbor Island to see the pink sand beach. You can ride horses there on the beach if you are inclined. Generally crowded, but might not be in September.

The Exumas:

Another great place to rent a boat and explore. The only place we've stayed here is the Peace & Plenty. Not a big fan of the place (P & P) but they were about the only hotel open when we were there in September '03. Exuma International airport is now open, full services, lit, etc. We usually land here if we need gas en route to the southern islands or to clear customs/exit the country. If you need aircraft maintenance, the folks at Strachen's Aviation have got you covered. They had malaria issues on Exuma a while back, FYI. (I only found this out when I went to donate blood and they would not let me :hairraise: ) Also on Exuma is Norman's Cay. Interesting place that was the headquarters for Carlos Lehder and his drug running operation in the 70's and 80's. Pop in and see if there is still any evidence of the operation around (there used to be dog kennels right by the landing strip). When we were there a few years back, there was a great little restaurant called MacDuff's on the island. I think there is new ownership now. Worth a look.

Cat Island:

Pop into Cat Island. If you want to stay, try the Fernandez Bay Village. You'll probably need reservations, as it is small. Owners are wonderful and very helpful. If you don't want to stay, at least rent a car and drive to the Hermitage monstery on Mt. Alvernia, the highest point in the Bahamas (?). Climb to the top. It will be hot but it is really interesting. As you climb, you'll pass all the stations of the cross in stone. Evidently, a monk built it. It's amazing to think how he got all the stones up to the top.

Long Island:

Fly into Stella Maris airport and catch a cab (or rent a car) and go to Cape Santa Maria. Beautiful place. I believe it (and Stella Maris resort), may both be closed in September. However, if you can find a local guesthouse that will rent you a car, stay there and drive to Cape Santa Maria anyway. You can swim and sit on the beach there all by yourselves with no one around if the resort is closed. Cape Santa Maria has a landing strip, but last I saw, it was rutted out with loose rocks/debris.

Crooked Island:

Fly in to Pittstown Point and stay at the little inn there (or one of the local gueshouses). The people on this island are absolutely wonderful. Like Cat Island and Long Island, it is remote--although it is open in September. If you don't like landing on an 1800 foot coral strip and parking on the grass, land at the main airport, Colonel Hill, and get a cab to Pittstown. The landing strip is not as bad as some people make it out to be, btw. They are supposed to be lengthening it. The island is beautiful with a lighthouse at the tip.

If you are adventurous, go to Great Inaugua, the last island in the chain. There is no resort, but the Morton Salt Co. is there and will give you a tour. The huge piles of salt look like mountains of snow next to coconut trees. The people here are friendly and you may be able to rent a car and drive around and see the hundreds of flamingos that live here. The runway is huge and has 100 LL (but check to make sure someone's around to get it for you!).

The last time we were in the Bahamas was winter of '06. We just went to Crooked/Pittstown Point for a week.

You can also check out Bimini, the Berry Islands and Andros. Andros seems to get a lot of rain. The above descriptive destinations are either our main destinations or just interesting things we've seen. Bimini is close to Florida and a good day trip. The Berry Islands are pretty.

We also like Turks & Caicos.

Get the current Bahamas & Caribbean Pilot's Guide. We explored the Bahamas and Turks & Caicos, and bought property there before we ever read the guide. It will save you a great deal of time! Very informative guide.

Enjoy your trip!

PS: For your re-entry to the US, I recommend Palm Beach (PBI). More people seem to go to Ft. Pierce for some reason, but PBI has always been great for us, FWIW.

Nice write up! We do what you recommend: land at Treasure Cay and take the ferry to Green Turtle. We stay at the Green
Turtle Club. We'll hop over to Nassau for a day or two just to get some shopping in.

Best,

Dave

New England Pilots Group is starting to mull over "The Mother of all Fly-Ins" to the Bahamas this fall. I suspect none of us in the group has gone there before.

Have you flown to the Bahamas? Got any tips to share on procedures or places to stay? Great restaurants? Must-visit beaches? Can you suggest dates, places to stay, things to do?

Have you seen the AOPA Guide? http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/bahamas/bah01.html

WOW!

Crispin's info was great! And right on the money! (Thankyou, BTW, for all that effort...)

We went there last year, and everything he said was true. We stayed at Treasure Cay. Flew into Marsh Harbor, and were going to take a cab to T.Cay, then figured out it had its own airstrip. Duh. Keep your head on a swivel at both places, though. We found several traffic that seemed nordo!

If you happen to go to OSHKOSH, the Bahamas have a large exhibit, with quite knowledgable people manning it.

You can pick up all the free information about procedures, hotels/resorts, fuel availability, sectional charts, etc. Even a mouse pad map of the islands, if you need one...

It is in the same exhibit hall as the Canadian setup is (or was), the last time I was at OSH.

If you happen to go to OSHKOSH, the Bahamas have a large exhibit, with quite knowledgable people manning it.

You can pick up all the free information about procedures, hotels/resorts, fuel availability, sectional charts, etc. Even a mouse pad map of the islands, if you need one...

It is in the same exhibit hall as the Canadian setup is (or was), the last time I was at OSH.
They also almost always have one of the information sessions on flying to the Bahamas. Yes, they are good peoples.

Back