Baggage Handler takes unexpected trip...

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7302888/

Airport worker inadvertently locked in plane's cargo hold
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:01 p.m. ET March 26, 2005

MILWAUKEE - An airport worker loading baggage in Milwaukee got locked inside the cargo hold of an airplane that flew to Philadelphia.

The worker was “a little stressed” but uninjured after the unscheduled flight, a spokeswoman for Midwest Airlines said Friday. The cargo hold was heated and pressurized.

The man was stowing a wheelchair aboard the plane when other employees closed the cargo door because they did not see him, airline spokeswoman Carol Skornicka said.

“He knew where it was going,” she said. “He tried to get somebody’s attention, but it didn’t work. When it landed, he jumped out of the airplane and asked for a cigarette.”

He later flew back to Milwaukee — in the passenger compartment.

“He wanted to finish his shift,” Skornicka said. “We told him he should go home and rest.”

She said the airline would review its procedures.

I take it that this was a heated, pressuized compartment...or he was really good at holding his breath. ;)

While the text indicates that compartment was presurized and heated I'd be willing to bet the unwilling traveler would be in a world of hurt if the aircraft suffered from rapid decompression.

Len

Well...yeah...

...but not for long...

RobertGerace said:
I take it that this was a heated, pressuized compartment...or he was really good at holding his breath. ;)
I thought baggage compartments in major airliners were pressurized to combat against altitude sensing detonator's...

Greebo said:
She said the airline would review its procedures.

This could be just me but why does the following conversation strike me as a possibility:

"Hey Bubba, I dare ya to do it"
"No way Butch, not happenen"
"Six pack says it will"
"Deal! Lock me in"
"Go way up in there so it looks like an accident so we's don't get fired"
"See ya in a few hours when I get back..."
THUNK CLICK

I've heard it has more to do with Midwest outsourcing the ramp to Skyway. It was a Midwest ramper that shut the Skyway ramper (who was in training to take the midwest guys job) in the airplane.

Have also heard of ramp slow-downs, and general harrasement of Skyway rampers by Midwest rampers.

Speed said:
I've heard it has more to do with Midwest outsourcing the ramp to Skyway. It was a Midwest ramper that shut the Skyway ramper (who was in training to take the midwest guys job) in the airplane.

Have also heard of ramp slow-downs, and general harrasement of Skyway rampers by Midwest rampers.

That prolly 'splains why "no one heard" the guy banging on the door after they shut him in.

I wonder if the FAA would be concerned about the obviously incorrect W&B, not that they get it all that close to begin with.

Re: Airline weight and balance

Speed said:
I'm really amazed at some of this stuff. You know checked bags weigh 30 pounds? That's down from 32 lbs last month. Call me skeptical, but I just have a hard time believing the avg weight is that low. .....

That's ridiculous. I can easily carry and certainly drag 30 pounds. If my bag weighs more than I can heave over my head I check it. :rolleyes:

Re: Airline weight and balance

Speed said:
I'm really amazed at some of this stuff. You know checked bags weigh 30 pounds?
My wife has never packed a 30 pound bag in her whole adult life! I would bet her purse goes over 30 pounds!!! :eek:

Back