Bad PHI accident in LA

More info on the accident :frown3:

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20090106/ARTICLES/901069946&tc=email_newsletter

bilde

Amazing even one individual survived.

Ugh.

After the first post, I thought of John Lancaster, and went to look up and see what the NTSB had to say. Their conclusion was that he flew right into a piece of the platform in broad daylight. I don't buy it. :no:

Stay safe out there, folks, especially you whirly-bird types - Seems like the last year has been a bad one for those. :(

Maybe It'll help to know that the space on a platform is crowded and moving about can get complicated real quick. The cranes are supposed to be shut down when the helo calls inbound but I can comfortably say that it doesn't always happen.

I rode in the back of helos in the gulf for a couple years...most rides were good but every now and then things would get "interesting." Have been asked by the pilots "where's the rig?" Did lose a helo for a couple hours once - they ran outta gas and had to wait for fuel to be brought to'em. Heard lots of stories and if even half were believable some pilots and passengers did some crazy and stupid stuff.

I don't miss it.

Ugh.

After the first post, I thought of John Lancaster, and went to look up and see what the NTSB had to say. Their conclusion was that he flew right into a piece of the platform in broad daylight. I don't buy it. :no:

Stay safe out there, folks, especially you whirly-bird types - Seems like the last year has been a bad one for those. :(

Helicopters rarely have "small incidents". In the crowded environment of a landing platform it only takes less than a second to make a fatal mistake. I'm familiar with the Lancaster accident and would say it's highly probable what the NTSB concluded.

Hopefully we can all learn from other's mistakes and strive to make it safer with each flight. Unfortunately pilot error still plays a major roll in the majority of helicopter accidents.

Maybe It'll help to know that the space on a platform is crowded and moving about can get complicated real quick. The cranes are supposed to be shut down when the helo calls inbound but I can comfortably say that it doesn't always happen.

That coupled with landing in one direction, winds whipping around the platform, then before you leave now you have winds coming from the opposite direction, plus all the action going on around you. Those guys flying the GOM have their work cut out for them.

Back