bad mix in the patt

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
So we're coming back to the Class G aprt after some fun maneuvering in the Decathlon. I'm thinking I want to get in some landings but it seems like there are 4-5 already making T&Gs. That's not too busy but a couple pilots sound like they're right at the edge of their abilities.

I join the downwind and right off the bat the spacing is just perfect. Round and round we go, real nice. Then a TBM 700 comes on and says he's gonna' come up and join us. I'm thinking, fast mover, better watch what happens in the mix of -172s, RV-6, -182, PA-28-180, and us.

The TBM's calls we so fouled up 4 folks landed on the very next circuit. He's ahead of us and I have vis contact the whole time. Then I lose him. Next thing I know, just after turning left cross, he says he on left cross. How could this be, he has been in front of us a full leg. Not in sight, I request his alt--no response. I report mid-fld, he says he's mid-fld.

I've been rocking the wings in this brightly colored bird and ready to pull smoke for visual contact when he requests my position--extended downwind, I say. He says he's on extended downwind. Still, no contact! Damn!

Then he says he's on left base--we're looking but he's no where to be seen. I think, screw him, I'm flying the patt and announce I'll be turning to base one nm out. That's when he says he's turning base, that's all he says...

That's when I spot him on left cross. I continue with the landing and by the time I'm just about to flare he says he's going around. He crosses above us at, oh, mebbe 50 feet. I decide to make it into a full stop and taxi back to the hanger.

My backseater is a FAA guy and was really looking forward to 'talking' with this guy. Not to be because the TBM left the patt but did return about 20 minutes later for a full stop only to aimlessly taxi back and forth and up and down the taxiways before departing for good.

I was thinking this could be a A&P on a mx flight--that might explain some of what happened. I'm also thinking this guy has a perverse sense of fun--maybe he wanted to see how he could get the birds to scatter.

Richard said:
So we're coming back to the Class G aprt ...

Sigh...I suppose its a good thing he wasn't completely braindead, and decided to go around!

Back