Bad Elf Pro freezing up

drgwentzel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kobra
Fellow pilots,

I bought the Bad Elf Pro and I have used it on three flights. Each time I place it on the glareshield and the sun hits it, it gets hot (of course) and freezes up. The screen is lit and the reminants of the GPS data are displayed, but they are no longer updating and the unit is not communicating with the iPad. I can't even shut down the unit with the power button, but with some persistence, I can get it to turn off. Maybe it's out of the sun and it cools down a bit, I don't know, but it's a problem.

Anyone heard of this? BTW, I have read reports of the new Stratus freezing up in direct sunlight.

Gene

I have a problem with various electronic items on the glareshield. My solution is to cover them with a towel or something that isn't distracting.

I have a problem with various electronic items on the glareshield. My solution is to cover them with a towel or something that isn't distracting.

That's fine, but can you cover the GPS and have it still "see" the sky?

Towels are fairly transparent at GPS frequencies, unless they're full of water.

I bought the Bad Elf Pro and I have used it on three flights

You should have gotten the Good Elf.:wink2:

As a field-expedient solution, I'd try covering it with a square of white toilet paper.

BTW, I've had no problem with placing the Dual brand external GPS on the glareshield in the hot summer sun.

I would think that throwing a white towel or wash cloth over it would help tremendously and should cause no signal degradation whatsoever.

The irony of this post is that many have posted in the past that the Bad Elf or other external receiver is mandatory for reliable GPS reception with an IPad. I only use the receiver built into my 3G IPad and have NEVER experienced signal loss.

Please let us know if covering it up with something white helps or eliminates the problem.

News bite headline "Bad Elf no good - Overheats and freezes"

I would think that throwing a white towel or wash cloth over it would help tremendously and should cause no signal degradation whatsoever.

The irony of this post is that many have posted in the past that the Bad Elf or other external receiver is mandatory for reliable GPS reception with an IPad. I only use the receiver built into my 3G IPad and have NEVER experienced signal loss.

Please let us know if covering it up with something white helps or eliminates the problem.
Many reports of overheating with iPad. I suspect if you placed the iPad on your glareshield you would soon have to power it down and put it in a place out of the sun until it cooled enough to function again.

With regards to the original post, the GPS doesn't need to be on the glareshield to function. You might try placing it there until it gets it's initial location fix, and then moving it somewhere else within the cockpit where it has a view of the sky, without being directly under the glass. If you place it in a position where you would be able to see several views of sky, it will have several views of available satellites, and should function just fine. Or you could alternate positions between the glareshield and another place not in direct sunlight. Either way should produce the same effect.

I have a WiFi iPad and GNS 5870 MFI receiver. And my experience is quite opposite. It seems that you can stick it in the deepest pits of hell and it would still work. 2 hours on top of the dashboard, almost impossible to touch, still maintains great accuracy and zero disconnects.

Buddy: [thinking Miles is an elf] Did you have to borrow a reindeer to get down here?
Miles Finch: Hey, jackweed, I get more action in a week than you've had in your entire life. I've got houses in L.A., Paris and Vail. In each one, a 70 inch plasma screen. So I suggest you wipe that stupid smile off your face before I come over there and SMACK it off! You feeling strong, my friend? Call me elf one more time.
Buddy: [after a pause] He's an angry elf.
[Miles promptly attacks him]

Many reports of overheating with iPad. I suspect if you placed the iPad on your glareshield you would soon have to power it down and put it in a place out of the sun until it cooled enough to function again.

With regards to the original post, the GPS doesn't need to be on the glareshield to function. You might try placing it there until it gets it's initial location fix, and then moving it somewhere else within the cockpit where it has a view of the sky, without being directly under the glass. If you place it in a position where you would be able to see several views of sky, it will have several views of available satellites, and should function just fine. Or you could alternate positions between the glareshield and another place not in direct sunlight. Either way should produce the same effect.

I really don't think I would be able to see the IPad very well if it were on the glareshield.

I was quite concerned about overheating of the IPad going into the triple digit Texas Summer days, but it has never even hinted of an overheating problem. Maybe it's because I don't put it on the glareshield.

I really don't think I would be able to see the IPad very well if it were on the glareshield.

I was quite concerned about overheating of the IPad going into the triple digit Texas Summer days, but it has never even hinted of an overheating problem. Maybe it's because I don't put it on the glareshield.

Lay it on the seat beside you, and let the sun shine on it for too long, and it will overheat.

Lay it on the seat beside you, and let the sun shine on it for too long, and it will overheat.

Why would I do that? I typically fly with it on my lap and it is sometimes in the sunshine. Of course I get lots of vented air in the cockpit.

Why would I do that? I typically fly with it on my lap and it is sometimes in the sunshine. Of course I get lots of vented air in the cockpit.
The point is that heat has an adverse affect on electronics.

Back