Back Home- Wud I Miss?

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Back tonight from stunningly nice family trip to Belize. More later, but several aviation-related observations:

1. If you have to fly commercial, those Embraer 145s are nice- load and unload qickly, and I did not have to go to DFW; changed planes at IAH and saved over $400.00 compared w/ AA's confiscatory non-stop fare (the "you're in DFW, you owe us" fare);

2. The Cessna Caravan is the national bird of Belize; both airlines (Tropic Air and Maya Island Air) run 'em all over the place.

I snagged the copilots seat for the flight from Belize City to Dangriga, that pilot was very cool and boy howdy, did he know his airplane! Went from climb to level cruise with a flip of the trim wheel, nailed his altitude (no autopilot installed), then landed at the pretty poor strip at Dangriga (they claim 2,000', but it's a tight 2,000).

Flight back today, another private pilot snagged the right seat, but I was one row back, in a Caravan with 46 hours on the Hobbs. Smelled new, looked new, nicest Caravan I've seen, included leather seats.

The only field with any IAPs in country is Belize City (which has non-precision approaches and VOR, but no ILS and no radar). Whem WX is bad, they just fly under it, pilo told me that they sometimes will complete a run at 100' AGL; only worry: cruise ships!

Today, after check in, went looking for someone to ask about charts and stuff for a future visit; finally directed me to flight info desk, nice guy there showed me what they have, which is a NACO Caribbean chart. Gave me a number to call for more information, direct line to the tower.

Nice people in Belize, not kissy-uppy to the tourist nice, just nice. I recommend it as a destination.

After a night's sleep, I'll see if any digital pics are worth showing. Ciao!

Although I completely forgot you went there.....it does seem like yesterday!

And here I thought you were flying your own airplane to your Thanksgiving destination. :rofl:

Charlize is here?

Where?!? :hairraise: :wink2:
Right here!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 4e95e05c-5f20-47f2-a1bb-423f6a3afdcd.jpg
    4e95e05c-5f20-47f2-a1bb-423f6a3afdcd.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 93
There are some things, you can't unsee. That was one of them.

Attachments

• DSCN2527.JPG
    DSCN2527.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN2532.JPG
    DSCN2532.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN2564.JPG
    DSCN2564.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2568.JPG
    DSCN2568.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCN2611.JPG
    DSCN2611.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 26
OK, pics you want, pics you get.

Look at the one, short final. Some runway!
Love it
!!

I have been to Belize twice and think it is a treasure in Central America. Both times I spent a day or two in Belize city and then boarded a 100ft dive boat that I stayed on for the rest of the week as we toured the reefs and dove our brains out.

Love it
!!

I have been to Belize twice and think it is a treasure in Central America. Both times I spent a day or two in Belize city and then boarded a 100ft dive boat that I stayed on for the rest of the week as we toured the reefs and dove our brains out.

Now... *that* explains a lot! :wink2:

I have always been impressed by the Cessna Caravan. If I could figure out how to make it pay, I would buy one.

I have always been impressed by the Cessna Caravan. If I could figure out how to make it pay, I would buy one.

I think they are really cool on floats. The only thing cooler is a twin Otter, well maybe a Grumman Goose, but that's a flying boat. :D

I have about 400 hours of Twotter time. I would have liked to fly it the way it was meant to be flown, but flying off of 6500 feet does not meet that criteria. :D

Back