Back from Scottsdale "2"

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
#1 = Cleaning out my house
#2 = Harley's Hurdey-Gurdey Show?
#3 = Warren McIlvoy and his C-182 at Deer Valley(Nov. 04)
#4 = Passenger's view of Warren's panel.

More on Scottsdale "3"

HR

Back from Scottsdale "3"

#1 = First stop on Flights for Life: Flagstaff, AZ
#2 = OK; who put all those rocks there(en route Flagstaff > Sedona
#3 = The USS Sedona(on a 400' mesa)
#4 = Lookin' good, Warren.

More on Scottsdale "4"

HR

Last edited:
Back from Scottsdale "4"

#1 = Flights for Life pilot, Warren McIlvoy
#2 = Somewhere between Sedona and Phoenix
#3 = Out of sequence: Leaving Flagstaff's Wiseman's Aviation
#4 = Smile, Warren

More on Scottsdale "5"

HR

Last edited:
Back from Scottsdale "5"

#1 = I'd soon be truckin' through here.
#2 = Shootin' through windshield is similar to shootin' through av. plexiglass.
#3 = Round the clock driving except for refueling and eating.
#4 = But in Marion, Virginia a deer caused a change of direction

More on Scottsdale "6"

HR

Back from Scottsdale "6"

#1 = LEFT tire marks = line of travel; RIGHT marks = the tow-out
#2 = Went right over the storm drain
#3 = Left side of vehicle hard against the inner guard rails
#4 = Within 8 hours the metal verticals had been replaced with temporary
wooden posts.

HR(All in all, it was an interesting trip)

Re: Back from Scottsdale "5"

Lawreston said:
#4 = But in Marion, Virginia a deer caused a change of direction

:eek:
What is it with you and destroying vehicles? You really need to stop doing that. :D (just yanking your chain ;) )

I'm glad you're ok.

Re: Back from Scottsdale "3"

wow!

Haven't seen KFLG from any perspective in years! Thanks for the pics!

:cheerswine:

Re: Back from Scottsdale "6"

#4: it looks like a few more feet to your right and you would have sailed right into opposing traffic. God is your copilot.

#3: Warren's plane must be nice either that or he's very brave to wear white around an a/c.

fgcason said:
What is it with you and destroying vehicles? You really need to stop doing that. :D (just yanking your chain ;) )

I'm glad you're ok.

When I went back to take photos of the accident scene a state trooper chewed me out for "pedestrian being on a federal highway." He was unaware of the accident and my involvement, he having just come on duty in the afternoon.
When I was driving the 24' unit(they had no 17' replacement) to the motel to call U-HAUL for road service I got into a situation on a side street where I needed to leave the vehicle. But it had no braking action in Park or with the emergency brake; only with foot brake and that was dicey. To leave the vehicle I parked it diagonally across the street and canted the wheels so that it couldn't roll freely. I then directed traffic to go around the rear of the truck. The first two or three car drivers called the local PD, Sheriff's Dept., and State Police. When a trooper arrived he looked at me and I said, "Haven't I seen you somewhere before, today." He was the one who had chewed me out an hour ago. "Do you have something against U-HAUL?"
"No, but I think they're trying to kill me. That truck shouldn't even be on the road, what with no brakes or working Park mechanism."

Photo #1 = defined, above.
Photo #2 = He's an off-duty deputy sheriff who just happened to come along and assist me in directing traffic around the back of the truck. It took U-HAUL nearly two days to get it fixed. No brake shoes; only calipers clanking to bare metal. :eek:(((((

HR

When I got home to Maine(28 straight hours of driving except for stopping to refuel and/or eat) the battery was dead the next morning. Road service came to my house and put in a new battery and with the following information:
"When you turn it in tell them that it has a new battery but it's held in place by bungee cords. The steel brackets are rusted away."

Re: Back from Scottsdale "6"

Richard said:
#4: it looks like a few more feet to your right and you would have sailed right into opposing traffic. God is your copilot.

I was doing about 60mph when the fur-burger appeared. When I exited the passenger's side I tried to flag traffic. Nobody stopped. This was about 0520 and still on the dark side. When the trooper arrived he said that the lady motorist who reported it said that she thought for certain she was in for a head-on crash.

HR

Glad you are safe. That was a heck of a crash.

Lawreston said:
Photo #1 = defined, above.

I think they're out to get you too.

Lawreston said:
It took U-HAUL nearly two days to get it fixed. No brake shoes; only calipers clanking to bare metal. :eek:(((((
That just inexcuseable lack of maintenance bordering on criminal. I know many roads (some in that area and further up your way from there) that no brakes would probably get someone killed.

Lawreston said:
"When you turn it in tell them that it has a new battery but it's held in place by bungee cords. The steel brackets are rusted away."

Want to bet that those bungee cords will probably be there until the acid eats them away? (it's called a sucker bet)

This is one reason I have my own trailer. It may not always be big enough for what I always will need but it'll reduce the risks in the meantime and make multiple trips when possible.

Drive safe and stay away from u-haul for a while.

fgcason said:
That just inexcuseable lack of maintenance bordering on criminal. I know many roads (some in that area and further up your way from there) that no brakes would probably get someone killed.
**And considering that I was routed on I-81North up and through the Pennsylvania Poconos Mountains(which took forever to cliimb and descend)...........

fgcason said:
Want to bet that those bungee cords will probably be there until the acid eats them away? (it's called a sucker bet)
**My former wife was a ten year manager of one of the East's largest U-HAUL centers(North Hollywood, Florida). Her comments border on your observations. She also is aware of who supplied the truck; would take interest in the Log Book behind the driver's seat, and suggests the lacking brake shoes situation didn't occur overnight and swears at the PM(Prior Maintenance). "Let it ride for the moment and get home. I'm no longer with the company but I still know the big names, numbers, et cetera. It may take a while. You could have been..............................or could have killed others"

HR

Re: Back from Scottsdale "4"

I'm merging these threads since they're all really the same topic.

Last edited:

Greebo said:
I'm merging these threads.

Thanks, Chuck; the "series" was the only way I could get past the allowable photos per post.

HR

Lawreston said:
Thanks, Chuck; the "series" was the only way I could get past the allowable photos per post.

HR
Hmm, I'll have to check on that limit. I think you could have replied to the thread and continued adding new pics with new replies - although I suppose the automerger might have interefered with that.

(The automerger is losing favor in my book - I may remove it.)

Greebo said:
Hmm, I'll have to check on that limit. I think you could have replied to the thread and continued adding new pics with new replies - although I suppose the automerger might have interefered with that.

(The automerger is losing favor in my book - I may remove it.)

After just so many photos( 4 or 5) in a post I was getting an advisory, "You have exceeded the maximum allowable attachments"(or words to that effect).

HR

Ok I've checked and there shouldn't be a limit on the number of attachments in a single post - just on how many can be uploaded simultaneously... You should be able to add any number of attachments to a post. I'll have to do more testing on that today to confirm.

Greebo said:
Ok I've checked and there shouldn't be a limit on the number of attachments in a single post - just on how many can be uploaded simultaneously... You should be able to add any number of attachments to a post. I'll have to do more testing on that today to confirm.

I thought I responded to above but it didn't post. I may have taken my lead from the Red Board which advises, "You have exceeded the maximum of five........", and thinking that the software(s) are the same version........

HR

Oh, no we're on different versions, but thats not the reason for the difference. We have more flexible settings - and had them when we were on the same version too. :)

Back