B17 for my birthday

Challenged

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Challenged
For my birthday this year, my wife surprised me by getting me a ride on the EAA's B17 in Dothan, AL (http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=13861). We're going to fly the Sierra up there and make a few days out of it, maybe playing golf and what not. I was curious if any of you lived near there and had any other recommendations of things to do.

Take ear plugs for your ear plugs. Stancie McClellan told me it was at least 3X the noisiest place she has ever been.

For my birthday this year, my wife surprised me by getting me a ride on the EAA's B17 in Dothan, AL (http://www.eaa.org/calendar/eventdetail.aspx?id=13861). We're going to fly the Sierra up there and make a few days out of it, maybe playing golf and what not. I was curious if any of you lived near there and had any other recommendations of things to do.

Great ride, I took my son and myself up in aluminum overcast this summer!

No where as loud as the C47 previously.

Make sure and climb into that nose turret, incredible view!

Enjoy

The airlines were flying C-47's when I graduated from college. Maybe they had more insulation.

Great ride, I took my son and myself up in aluminum overcast this summer!

No where as loud as the C47 previously.

Make sure and climb into that nose turret, incredible view!

Enjoy

Bet it still has its Denver dimples.

Happy Birthday!

Lucky man, both for the ride and that your wife bought it for you. It's a fun ride. I went up with them last December. It is noisy, but I had a set of ear plugs and it wasn't bad. I think B-25's that have their exhaust pointed at the cabin are much louder. Get the first ride of the day and you might get to walk the props with the crew.

I just finished going up in the B17, what a neat experience. Not only was the ride fun, but I got to meet and chat aviation with a bunch of fellow pilots too , so no complaints about the day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Challenged,
You fly a Sierra? as in Beech C24?
If so, are you a member of Beech Aero Club?
If not, why not?

Yep, I own a B24. I am a BAC member too, it's been a fantastic resource.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Pictures or it didn't happen. :)

036.JPG
024.JPG
Here's a couple of exterior pics that my wife took, I'll download the ones from my camera in a bit and update this post:
036.JPG

025.JPG

With my phone:

121004-IMG_20121004_162254.jpg

Camera:
B17%20035.JPG

Fort Rucker Aviation Museum:
004.JPG

003.JPG

036.JPG

Last edited:
Back