B-52 Crash -- Historical Piece

I've been to this site and spent some time walking around and looking at the remnants of the B-52. Very somber, but interesting to see. If you're up near Moosehead Lake its worth the trip. Greenville, is/was also home to the DC-3 on floats. Last time I was up there it didn't look like it had flown in a while. That was about ten years ago.

Anthony said:
I've been to this site and spent some time walking around and looking at the remnants of the B-52. Very somber, but interesting to see. If you're up near Moosehead Lake its worth the trip. Greenville, is/was also home to the DC-3 on floats. Last time I was up there it didn't look like it had flown in a while. That was about ten years ago.
I've been up to Greenville quite a bit lately and have never heard of this. Will have to check it out next time I'm there.

Did stop by the Greenville airport and the DC-3 is still there. Flat tire, and missing the elevator and rudder. Doesn't look like it has moved in a while. The Greenville seaplane fly in is labor day weekend. Big deal for the town. Not a hotel room to be had for miles around.

Thanks for the post Harley.

Finally got a chance to visit the crash site today. A very somber place to go. Low clouds and light drizzle completed the picture. Attached are a few photo's from the site. A must see to visit if you are ever in the Greenville, Maine area.

When first getting to the site there are few plane parts scattered about, but the more you wander into the woods you see more and more parts of the plane. It must have been horrible that night the plane crashed. The plane manager here talked to one of the survivors and he got an award from the maker of the parachute as it saved his life. Not by opening, but because he wrapped himself in the parachute to keep himself warm during the night so as not to freeze to death.

Attachments

• PA310822 (600 x 450).jpg
    PA310822 (600 x 450).jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 36
  • PA310823 (600 x 450).jpg
    PA310823 (600 x 450).jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 38
  • PA310824 (600 x 450).jpg
    PA310824 (600 x 450).jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 27
  • PA310825 (600 x 450).jpg
    PA310825 (600 x 450).jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the pics Mark. Its been a while since I saw that.

The American Flag is a nice touch.

Thanks, Mark.

Paul Allen said:
What's the story behind the crash?

My introduction of this thread has a Link which should answer your question.

And to Mark, thanks for the follow-up and the great photos. It's been several years since I was last there but the calling is to revisit.

HR

Back