B-25 at Erie, CO June 21

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
for Colorado folks or anyone passing thru the area on Thursday, June 21...

Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:33 AM
Subject: B-25 at Erie Airport June 21

Hello Aviation Friends,

We are asking for help to promote a B-25 visit to Erie Airport this Thursday, June 21. We have arranged to have the "Pacific Prowler" (www.B25.org) visit our airport before it spends the weekend at the Rocky Mountain Regional Fly In. This Mitchell B-25 bomber was built in 1942 and served with the 5th Air Force in New Guinea during WW II. After the war, she served as a VIP transport for the USAF and a photo ship for Hollywood movies.

The Pacific Prowler will be available for ground and flight tours Wednesday and we would like to get the word out to everyone who might be interested. If you know people in the media, web groups, email lists, local HOAs, civic groups, veterans, schools, scouts, clubs, businesses...you get the idea, could you please contact them to let them know? We can't do this alone and the aviation community has many contacts.

We would also like to have airplanes show up for people to look at, folks to talk to visitors explaining why a local airport is a value to the community, and general ambassadors for aviation to help defend our freedoms to fly.

We also encourage all veterans to attend so that we can honor them for giving us those freedoms. I plan to have a former B-25 pilot here to tell his stories of flying and fighting in the Pacific during WW II. Burgers and drinks will be available.

The plane will arrive at the Erie Airport Wednesday evening or early Thursday. Admission is free. Ground tours (airplane walk-throughs) are $5; you get to wander through the plane, get into the nose bubble, and handle the guns.

The Flight tour takes six people at a time and is approximately a one hour experience with about half of that in the air. Once airborne you are allowed to unbuckle and wander around the airplane. Cost is $350 per person. We would like people to pre-register for the flight tours so we can better schedule the airplane and guarantee everyone a seat.

We could use ground volunteers and the normal fly-in things, but we need the most help in promotion. Please contact the people you know, send me suggestions and contacts, help get the word out.

I urge everyone to come to Erie and experience this piece of aviation history.

Thanks for your help and support (and I apologize if you get multiple mailings...the aviation web is tangled),

Mike Gugeler

Contact info: 720-890-0552 skookish@hotmail.com
President, Friends of Erie Airport
Member, EAA 43 & 648, Colorado Antique Airplane Association

This must be the WWII weekend in Colorado because the B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" is at Centennial Airport this week. The other day tower had us sidestep to the smaller (OK, it's not that small) parallel runway so we wouldn't run over it.

This must be the WWII weekend in Colorado because the B-17 "Aluminum Overcast" is at Centennial Airport this week. The other day tower had us sidestep to the smaller (OK, it's not that small) parallel runway so we wouldn't run over it.

Last year they were giving, OK, selling rides on Aluminum Overcast. I flew all the way from Front Range :rolleyes: , just to be in the pattern with it a few times. I was able to park close to it at Signature, and check it out, watch it taxi, takeoff, land, etc as it was giving rides. Very cool. While Signature did mention a ramp fee, they didn't ding me for it as I was only there a short time.

Jeffco ... oops .... 'scuse me .... Rocky Mountain Metropolitan!!! (holy crap - gimme a break - it's JEFFCO! It's always BEEN Jeffco, and always WILL BE Jeffco ... except when I have to call up ... then it's a mumbly mouthful) - anyway BJC had their open house last weekend http://www.rockymountainairportopenhouse.com/ with a B-25 "Martha Jean"

The FAA Safety Seminar was understandably cancelled. from the RMMA website:
-------------------------------------------------
"MOUNTAIN FLYING" presented by SPARKY IMESON

The FAA Safety Seminar on Mountain Flying, presented, by Sparky Imeson, has been cancelled.

We are happy to report that Sparky is recovering in the hospital and he is looking forward to rescheduling the seminar in the future.
------------------------------------------------------------

Back