B-21 Bomber for new AF One?

Trump would be the one to do something like that though. Just to PO off everyone, and B-21 will have a AOA therefore making it safe and stall proof.

I'm not sure I'd feel more comfortable in a 737 (militarized or not) if someone is shooting sams at me. That's still a pretty fat target.

The B-21 is probably wishful thinking. It's going to have about 1/10 the payload that the 747 has. I guess if you're secreting the president and an aid or two and the football from place to place it might work, but there's a lot of commo and other support that has to follow the POTUS that is going to take up a bunch of room on this thing as well.

I'm not sure I'd feel more comfortable in a 737 (militarized or not) if someone is shooting sams at me. That's still a pretty fat target.

but there's a lot of commo and other support that has to follow the POTUS that is going to take up a bunch of room on this thing as well.

Read it again. The article touched on that. Really nothing different then what they do now as far as support planes.

Last edited:
The 747 has LONG been considered as a replacement platform for the B-52.
Bigger payload, longer range, et.
Procurement people don't make any MONEY modifying existing planes, they MAKE MONEY off of entirely new platforms, that require decades of support created from nothing.

Read it again. The article touched on that. Really nothing different then what they do now as far as support planes.
Support planes carrying limos, and possibly offloading the press are one thing. Carrying the essential chain of command apparatus is not something you want to put in a "separate vehicle." Tried this once back in Nixon era.

I vote for the A-10 to be the new AF1. How bad ass would that be. That would be one arrival not to miss, make a flyby while lighting off the GAU-8!

Above my pay grade but I would rather see chain of command types in different planes. Why put all of them on one plane and then that plane gets taken out. Then you would lose top leadership in one incident.

Convert a 737 for all of the missions it would support, and keep one of the 74's for missions what exceed the range of the 73. Or just air refuel the 73.

Above my pay grade but I would rather see chain of command types in different planes. Why put all of them on one plane and then that plane gets taken out. Then you would lose top leadership in one incident.

If only we can convince most of the legislators/lobbyists in DC to board a single aircraft and let the odds work themselves out . . . ;)

You misunderstand. Not the people, but the commo/ intelligence gear and the operators for it. You think the president is going to order up nuclear strikes via twitter?

You misunderstand. Not the people, but the commo/ intelligence gear and the operators for it. You think the president is going to order up nuclear strikes via twitter?

Gotcha, but I think there's plenty of room on a 737 for that gear and the operators. I really don't care what they go with. I suspect it will end up being the 747s though.

Gotcha, but I think there's plenty of room on a 737 for that gear and the operators. I really don't care what they go with. I suspect it will end up being the 747s though.

I was referring to the B-21. It's much smaller payload wise. By weight it's about 1/10 of the 747 and I suspect volumetrically it's even smaller.

I was referring to the B-21. It's much smaller payload wise. By weight it's about 1/10 of the 747 and I suspect volumetrically it's even smaller.

Yes, I agree about that on a B-21. I really don't think that jet would be selected anyway.

B21, meh. Now a BONE. that would be a bada$$ AF1. Flying 75AGL at 600KIAS from DC to Mar-A-Lago..... whooo wheee

I'm betting we have the gov'ts electronics packaged into a Halliburton briefcase. This being true, put the Pres in a G6, let the press fly coach. The main reason for the 747 is show the flag. Screw that. Small is better.

Back