Aztec Avionics Upgrades

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
When I bought my Aztec, I knew right off that I was going to be doing some upgrades of the audio panel. Here's how it came initially:

DSC_0007.JPG

An HSI, a Garmin 150XL VFR GPS, Garmin 340, Garmin 327, and dual KX170Bs. The reality was this was part of what attracted me to the plane, as the parts that were good were exactly what I wanted, and the parts that needed upgrading were still functional, rather than some radios that I didn't like but couldn't justify any upgrading of. Also, both KX170Bs have glide slopes.

I managed to find a good deal on a KLN 94 IFR GPS (moving map and can do non-precision approaches) and KX155A that came out of a Skyhawk 172SP that received a 430W. While I would have preferred a 430W, of course, the significantly lower cost made this attractive. While in there, the avionics shop did some rewiring of the audio panel, added the proper music jacks, and a few other details that needed to be done. Pictures of the completed installation are below:

DSC_0225.JPG

DSC_0227.JPG

I've been very happy with the end result. The KX155A has the feature of allowing you to use the screen as a CDI, or else it will tell you your radial to or from the VOR you have entered. This is great as I like to cross check my position while flying with VORs, so now I can use both NAVs for this. The KLN 94 is an easy-to-use unit, the main two negatives of it are that I don't have WAAS and it won't crossfeed into a 496, but I don't figure on buying a 496 anyway, there are other options that I think I'm far more likely to buy.

I also made an exchange of the #2 KX170B for an MX170 digital rebuild, which is a radio I've had in every other airplane I've flown regularly. I'm leaving the ADF in the Aztec until such time as it actually breaks, and I do like having it. The one thing that I'd like for it (but can't see doing anytime soon) is adding a DME. For some reason, the one that was in this plane some years back was removed and never replaced. I've kept the #1 KX170B is a spare for the #2 NAV/COM, and the glide slope that came with it I've kept as a spare for that as well.

I was hoping to have this done in time for Gaston's, but timing didn't work out, so it was done afterwards. I've been flying this setup for close to a month and a half now, and it's been great.

I think it's a fine setup. Later on you'll end up wanting WAAS, but by that time there will likely be more options you might like including retrofit glass with weather.

I doubt your ADF will ever die. Those older units like the one you have are basically bullet proof.

How's the radar? I had one of those in my C310. Worked great.

I think it's a fine setup. Later on you'll end up wanting WAAS, but by that time there will likely be more options you might like including retrofit glass with weather.

That was pretty much what I figured. WAAS costs a good amount right now, and so far just the ability to do non-precision GPS approaches has served me well in more than one instance. 90% of the time, though, I still do an ILS or a VOR approach since that's what's convenient at the airports I fly in and out of.

When I'm ready for my next upgrade, that will be when I go to something really nice. But the AMUs required for an upgrade like that simply aren't available right now, and this should keep me happy at least until after I overhaul my right engine (1400 hours on it now, 2000 TBO). For the price, I couldn't be happier with the setup. A 430W would've cost me more than twice as much installed.

I doubt your ADF will ever die. Those older units like the one you have are basically bullet proof.

How's the radar? I had one of those in my C310. Worked great.

Yeah, that ADF still works great. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to shoot an NDB approach for real with it. A few times I've gone into airports that have NDB approaches, but the weather's always been sufficient for a visual. Darn. I want to have in my logbook that I shot a for real NDB approach.

The radar works great. That was another reason I was attracted to the plane. It's served me well on multiple occasions this summer.

Besides without an ADF how would you listen to baseball games/talk radio????

I really do like that CDI feature of the KX155A, too bad it is not available on the KX155 :(

Nice panel and the KLN94 will serve you well. I had a KLN90B for the longest time and it was doing great. I upgraded to the 430W just for the extra situational awareness and to get VNAV for a couple of approaches that I often fly.

Looks like a great setup, although I can't make a complete assessment until I actually get to use it personally. ;)

The CDI feature was a big appeal to the KX155A, and one of the primary reasons why I did the upgrade vs. just getting an MX170 or MAC1700. I like KX155s better, but it required significant rewiring. Before this deal came up I figured I'd throw in a KLN 90B and one or two KX170 rebuilds to hold me over, but when this came up I figured it was worth the extra money.

Chris: You best be showing up at 6Y9 so you can get your ride. ;)

Looks like a well reasoned step up. There's a lot to be said for staying off the bleeding edge. The new radios have got to be much better for night work.

I'm just curious. WHy do you have 123.45 set up on your com radio? That's an aircraft manufacturer test-only frequency.

Jim

Nice Panel. Maybe sometime I can ride with you on an ARF flight and see it in action. :smilewinkgrin:

Ok.. Completely off-topic, but isn't it cool that the Animal Rescue Flight - a group dedicated to transporting DOGS - has initials of ARF. ARF ARF ARF..

Nice Panel. Maybe sometime I can ride with you on an ARF flight and see it in action. :smilewinkgrin:

Definitely! We'll have to find one.

Ok.. Completely off-topic, but isn't it cool that the Animal Rescue Flight - a group dedicated to transporting DOGS - has initials of ARF. ARF ARF ARF..

That was intentional, you know. ;)

Back