AZ mountain flying instruction?

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
I'll be spending a week in Tucson in mid March for a work-related meeting. Since I'll have some free time, it occurred to me it might be fun to find a CFI and a rental 172 or the like and obtain a bit of mountain-flying instruction. I'm not talking about a full-fledged course, as I won't have the time for that, but more like a half-day, give or take. Having been in southern AZ once previously, it seems an ideal location for such training...or maybe not, as I seem to recall getting bounced around pretty good in an MD80 approaching TUS from the east!

Since I live in the northeast, and have no plans to do any hard-core mountain flying in the immediate future, it would be mostly just to expand my knowledge and experience a bit. As a fairly new private pilot, the closest thing to "mountains" I've flown over are some of the Catskills.

Google doesn't yield much. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about someone offering such instruction in the Tucson area...but I have no idea when or where I saw it. Any recommendations from the gallery?

Brian,
'Sounds like a fun trip. Contact Eric in Bisbee... I'm pretty sure he can set you up:
Eric Swisher CFII FDPC LSRM-A
Copper City Aviation Services
520-266-0515

Eric and the wife have a flight school, and work with UAVs in Southern AZ. You'll have a great time and learn lots.

Last edited:
I think most Wings courses on Mountain Flying are only 1/2 day long, so you can expect to get in some significant training on the subject for your available time.
Good luck

Brian,
'Sounds like a fun trip. Contact Eric in Bisbee... I'm pretty sure he can set you up:
Eric Swisher CFII FDPC LSRM-A
Copper City Aviation Services
520-266-0515

Eric and the wife have a flight school, and work with UAVs in Southern AZ. You'll have a great time and learn lots.

That's a lot of letters. So what is FDPC LSRM-A?

Light Sport Repairman with a Maintenance rating for Airplanes... not to be confused with an Inspection rating for powered parachute or weight-shift aircraft.

Back