Awesome X Wind

Like watching the approaches get better, that first one was sloppy as hell but they improved

I like the one at 5:57...true crab and "kick". I'm guessing the instructor took that one before the gear got folded under the airplane. :)

Never saw a windsock so wonder what the wind really was. Seemed to be flying long finals.

Never saw a windsock so wonder what the wind really was. Seemed to be flying long finals.

Windsock is visible at 10:30.. There was a stiff breeze so I give the guy a 7 out of 10 for his landings.... The only thing that bothers the heck out of me is he cannot hit the centerline consistantly....

I see the same thing with so many aircraft in a crosswind. If they would have slowed down so the aircraft would land instead of float in ground effect I believe it would have been a lot easier. Make the transition and stick it.

I stopped watching it before the 10:30 windsock showed as I get to see a version of it every time I fly with students anyway...

Windsock is visible at 10:30.. There was a stiff breeze so I give the guy a 7 out of 10 for his landings.... The only thing that bothers the heck out of me is he cannot hit the centerline consistantly....

I would rate those landings a 4 of 10. If one can't straddle the centerline during the the landing, that shows a lack of control. I will note that a 150 is a lousy crosswind airplane...if it's really blowing dogs off chains I'd rather be in a Citabria.

At least he is out there doing it, and not complaining about the wind being too strong.

I didn't watch the entire video but it appears that all landings were done as a crab and kick.:dunno:
This is the method I used years ago but have since switched to holding opposite rudder and dipping
the wing into the wind to hold the centerline all the way down on final touching down on the upwind gear first.

I guess it's whatever works best for you..:wink2:

I didn't watch the entire video but it appears that all landings were done as a crab and kick.:dunno:
This is the method I used years ago but have since switched to holding opposite rudder and dipping
the wing into the wind to hold the centerline all the way down on final touching down on the upwind gear first.

I guess it's whatever works best for you..:wink2:

I hope we don't get into this beat to death debate. Professional pilots crab down final and correct as needed shortly before touchdown. Wind conditions at 700' AGL on final are not the same as at the ground. No need to slip all the way down final. Proper x-wind touchdown is in a slip...I'm talking light GA airplanes, not airliners. But you can wait until within a few feet of touchdown to transition. Some people call this 'crab and kick'. I hate that term. What you're really doing is crabbing and transitioning into a slip...not simply 'kicking' rudder only. That's rough technique, but is required for airliners and can work in most tricycle training wheel airplanes. But most of us don't fly airliners, and we should display better technique. Some people make this transition lower than others, and slipping all the way down final might be good for giving student pilots extended practice with x-wind correction, but with skill and experience, it's fairly pointless and a little unprofessional, IMO. But like you say, whatever works for you.

Last edited:
^ Yep, and uncomfortable for passengers.

In the Lear we crab the entire way down and transition to slip somewhere between the fence and the numbers. That's what everyone does in the professional world. As Roscoe said...its not "Crab N' Kick".

I was taught to use the windward side of the runway on heavy cross winds incase a gust blows you across the runway. This way you have more room for a go around. We are not (most of us anyway) flying large jets. The CFI may have been telling him to use the windward side like mine did. :dunno:

I dip the wing and plant the windward wheel to stop drift, but gusts and change your plans. ;)

Hats off to the OP for flying in the wind. :yes:

If you cant hold centerline you shouldn't be landing on that runway.

This is the method I used years ago but have since switched to holding opposite rudder and dipping the wing into the wind to hold the centerline all the way down on final touching down on the upwind gear first./QUOTE]

I thought they were maybe a "4" even if its a student. Those approaches were ugly ... watching the video I never saw any crab and slip, just crab and slams to the right and left of centerline. My CFI would have said full stop if I came off the base turn that far off multiple times ... in fact, on one of the night flights I had a crab at least that big on final and he asked what was going on after doing the crab and then slip at the threshold (light thumps). He took it around and his landing was worse:lol: ... he called for a full stop right after. Winds had picked up significantly after we were airborne.

I hope we don't get into this beat to death debate. Professional pilots crab down final and correct as needed shortly before touchdown.
I'm assuming that by professional pilot you mean "Career Pilot", I haven't met very many "Professional Pilots" but I have met a fair amount of "Students of Aviation". :wink2:

Back