Awesome Weekend

vontresc

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
vonSegelGoober
Well, I got smoked by Greg Lemond this weekend :D.

I flew up to Cable/Union 3CU for the Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival to run the 40 mile MTB race. As usual I got a pretty good headwind on my trip up north (I always seem to head up this way after a cold front blows through), but as it turned out it wasn't as bas as i feared. at 4500' just below the bases it was mainly a cross wind, so I made pretty good time. It was suprisingly cold, and I was glad to stay out of the clouds for this trip.

Saturday was a blast, and riding 40 miles on some pretty gnarly trails kicked my butt pretty good, but I made my goal of less than 4 hours (3:50). If anyone has ever mountain biked up there Fire Tower hill is a *****.

This morning we headed back to the Telemark Resort/Cable Union Airport at the finish for some fun day events (Klunker Toss, Log Pull, etc...). After unsuccessfully competing at the log pull (broke the chain) I packed it in and headed home. Unfortunately the broken to overcast layer was right around 5500', and it was pretty bumpy at 3500', so I skirted the clouds as long as I could and eventually had to settle in at 3500.

All in all it was a great weekend...

Pete

P.S. Here are some of the pics I took throughout the weekend....
http://picasaweb.google.com/vontresc/CheqFatTireFestival/

Last edited:
Was Greg still fuming that he is the only guy to win the tour without doping? I have lost a lot of respect for him over the years. he seems more physcho each and every time I hear him speak. He seems to have nothing goo to say about anyone in pro-cycling. I really want to repainting my "Lemond" bike just to get his name out of view.

Well after the last couple of years in pro cycling I can't really blame him for ripping into the current crop of riders. I do agree that he seems to have gotten a bit more bitter over the last few years. While we are on the subject, here is an Onion article you'll enjoy....

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/non_doping_cyclists_finish_tour_de

Pete

Classic!!!

The Tour and pro-cycling has a long history of doping. In the early 20th century the riders would down strychnine and copious amounts of wine to keep riding and not feel the pain. I say lets stay true to history as it makes for better entertainment. My gladiatorial spirit is if they want to kill themselves for my entertainment go for it. :cheerswine::cheerswine::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:D You were pulling logs with the plane and broke the chain ??????

i tell ya what, id need some serious drugs to have the desire or ability to ride a bicycle that far

The Assos stuff is good, but you gotta love the name on this product. Pretty self explanatory name.....

Pete

The Assos stuff is good, but you gotta love the name on this product. Pretty self explanatory name.....

Pete
But all of it is soo damn cold when you put on your bike shorts to go for a ride :hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

Have you used the paceline stuff? Is it easier to apply than the ASSOS stuff? I hate getting it all over my hands.

I've used Butt'r, Fleet Farm Bag Balm, the stuff in the holstein logo packs (keep getting samples at various rides), but never the Assos stuff. It all makes a mess, and for cold shorts in the morning. I think it helps that Butt'r comes in a tube so you just sqirt it on, as opposed to scooping it out of a jar.

I tried a new product called Beljum Budder during Ride the Rockies this year. I think i will give it a try once my current supply of Butt'r runs out.

Pete

Pete, thanks for sharing the trip with us. Brrr is right!! Who was the winner in the Klunker Toss, and how far did they hurl it?

Don't recall, but I think someone got a few good bounces and managed 80+ feet. Pretty impressive for tossing a 40lb Schwinn varsity.

Pete

Back