Awareness Test

Well I was only off by one on the first question. Failed miserably on the second :)

Pete

Wow, flunked.

What a GREAT campaign.

Cheers,

-Andrew
nearly killed by a BDC last week

I got the first one, not the second one... I also think it's a great campaign.

Two ? I got all three. Better try again.

Off by one. The second question ain't fair. This pic comes to mind.

Attachments

• CAMO.jpg
    CAMO.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 29
Got the first, missed the second. My mind was discounting anything that wasn't a certain color.

Good for focus, bad for multitasking.

I actually restarted, taking pains to start anew, because I thought it might have been a joke. Nope.

There is a reason why it works, though. It's carefully crafted.

I got both, but I already knew the premise of the well-known experiment behind it.

-Rich

On the first try:
I blew the count after 8.
I got the bear.

The second question ain't fair.

Fair or not, that is exactly how motorcycles get squished all the time. Cagers are taught to look for cages and the occasional pedestrian, not motorcycles or bicycles. It's also possibly a contributing factor to a lot of crashes due to inattention to the environment or preoccupation with something else.

I often wonder about how people are taught to look for things and if the common observation/search thinking process is wrong.

People are taught to look for specific objects when looking at something. If they're looking for it, they are likely to see it. If they're not looking for a specific object, they miss it. (You could probably build a brick wall in the middle of an interstate and people would drive right into it because it was out of place and not expected) How many people would have seen the bear if it was brown, green or even yellow instead of black.
A possible alternative to searching for objects is to look for something that is NOT supposed to be there. Bridge, basketballs, dynamic motion...slow out of place object moving right to center...fuzzy...bear.

I use to have a hard time seeing deer across a field at the tree line. My uncle finally said, "quit looking for the deer and look for something that's not supposed to be there." A little practice with the concept and I could notice all sorts of things that wasn't noticable when I was looking for something specific.

Just a thought...

On the first try:
I got the bear.

Fair or not, that is exactly how motorcycles get squished all the time. Cagers are taught to look for cages and the occasional pedestrian, not motorcycles or bicycles. It's also possibly a contributing factor to a lot of crashes due to inattention to the environment or preoccupation with something else.

I often wonder about how people are taught to look for things and if the common observation/search thinking process is wrong.

People are taught to look for specific objects when looking at something. If they're looking for it, they are likely to see it. If they're not looking for a specific object, they miss it. (You could probably build a brick wall in the middle of an interstate and people would drive right into it because it was out of place and not expected) How many people would have seen the bear if it was brown, green or even yellow instead of black.
A possible alternative to searching for objects is to look for something that is NOT supposed to be there. Bridge, basketballs, dynamic motion...slow out of place object moving right to center...fuzzy...bear.

I use to have a hard time seeing deer across a field at the tree line. My uncle finally said, "quit looking for the deer and look for something that's not supposed to be there." A little practice with the concept and I could notice all sorts of things that wasn't noticable when I was looking for something specific.

Just a thought...

I think this, while making good points, qualifies as a violation of this direction by the OP:

No spoilers in your responses please. Did you pass?

This supports the general notion that most "eye witnesses" are not as reliable as one might suppose in post accident/incident interviews.

I got the bear.
And sometimes the bear gets you
Hope not ...

300px-Tu-95_Bear_J.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/Tu-95_Bear_J.jpg/300px-Tu-95_Bear_J.jpg

On the first try:
I got the bear.

To be fair I've almost hit peds with way more frequency then cycles of any kind. Cycles are just more visible to me then peds due to their motion and predictability. Although I do understand the preoccupation thing after being hit by a minivan while riding my bicycle.

[cycle]I often wonder about how people are taught to look for things and if the common observation/search thinking process is wrong.
[/quote]
Can't comment about others, but while driving my scanning process is quite different from watching that vid or other activities. Years of video games and city driving have trained me well. Unfortunately I'm not scanning for motorcycles explicitly because they seem to be almost as visible as cars unless they hang out in the blind spot. And vehicles of any size shouldn't hang out there in the first place.

I'm usually looking for debris in the road, children, animals, and peds.
My scan goes in this order:

1. My relation to the vehicle in front
2. lane position (leaving a car sized space to on at least 1 side for evasive maneuvers)
3. Does anyone want to change lanes (adjust speed to let them in (including non-signalers based on car language))
4. Debris scan
5. Scan lateral motion (poorly timed cars or ppl crossing infront of me)
6. Check for peds, children, or animals and predict their vector.
7. Check behind for vehicle attempting to pass and give way. (includes the dozen motorcycles that pass me during rush hour within inches of my side mirror)

Back