AvSafety: WINGS guinea pig(s) wanted

TMetzinger

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
I've written a small 40-page guide designed to get someone started with the FAASafety.gov web site and the new WINGS program.

I'd appreciate it if someone who has never used the site or the program would be willing to volunteer to run through the first section of the guide which covers getting registered, joining the WINGS program, and taking an online course and finding a flight training syllabus. It also covers how to get credit for an AOPA seminar.

If you're one of the people who need to take the online DC ADIZ course because you will fly under VFR within 60 NM of the DCA VOR - this is an ideal time to try it because the guide will have to take the course as part of an exercise.

I estimate the process will take from 1-3 hours depending on your ease with web systems and your gumption.

EDIT - I've gotten my guinea pigs - thanks!.

Once I'm happy that the guide is correct, I'll be posting it online and handing it out at seminars.

Thanks for your help

Tim Metzinger
FAA Safety Team Representative.

Last edited:
beta tester who's never used the WINGS program at all, or never used the new and improved WINGS program?

FORTY pages? :goofy:

Oh, yeah. It's a much improved WINGS program over, "An hour of ground, and 3 hours of airwork - 1 hour takeoffs and landings, 1 hour instrument and 1 hour maneuvers."

I've written a small 40-page guide designed to get someone started with the FAASafety.gov web site and the new WINGS program.

40 pages, I don't consider that small. :hairraise: Isn't that reinventing the wheel? When you click the button to register at faasafety.gov, the page you get already gives you directions on how to start. Under the WINGS section, there is an information button that will tell about the program. Also there is a "WINGS Help" function.

The WINGS Help function includes these topics:
  • Registering on FAASafety.gov Made Easy
  • WINGS Quick Start Guide
  • WINGS Made Easy
  • Validating WINGS Credit Made Easy

I suppose people who are computer-illiterate might need a printed manual, but anyone else should be able to easily access the online help. JMHO

40 pages, I don't consider that small. :hairraise: Isn't that reinventing the wheel? When you click the button to register at faasafety.gov, the page you get already gives you directions on how to start. Under the WINGS section, there is an information button that will tell about the program. Also there is a "WINGS Help" function.
I suppose people who are computer-illiterate might need a printed manual, but anyone else should be able to easily access the online help. JMHO

There was also a 20 minute video you could view when I signed up.

Again, that vs. that explanation above the FAA forum reps at Oshkosh could say in 45 seconds.

The WINGS Help function includes these topics:
  • Registering on FAASafety.gov Made Easy
  • WINGS Quick Start Guide
  • WINGS Made Easy
  • Validating WINGS Credit Made Easy
That's the target audience. And most of those pages are the blank "back sides" for double sided printing. But when you take people step-by-step with screen-shots, you use a lot of paper.

Most of us will find the program usable - this guide is for folks who may end up going to the library for internet access, or who have limited computer skills.

Kate, you're too young. My last airport safety meeting had folks in it who don't use computers at ALL. The kind of people to whom Help Desks say "Sir, is there an eight year old around? OK, step back from the computer, let the grandson at it, it'll be just fine".

Back