Avoiding The ADIZ

flyingcheesehead said:
Victor,

There's no reason for the condescending attitude. You and Ron are absolutely right that currently you can get away with it.

Ed's point, and he is right also, is that if they change their mind tomorrow (stupider things have happened, like the existence of the ADIZ in the first place), that you will not have a leg to stand on at your hearing.

You guys are right, I can't speak for Ron, but I can speak for me. I will file multiple ADIZ flightplans when I do the approach at KDMW and the winds aloft will push me into the ADIZ. I usually have my student do two partial panel VOR approaches there, and I have them hold until they can make the inbound leg on the hold exactly one minute. This is in my best interest because the VOR is only 3 miles from the ADIZ and the outbound leg can easily reach into the ADIZ.

I figure abiding by the strict reading of the notam, I will need to file atleast 10 ADIZ flightplans, and get 10 different squawk codes for this fight. I don't think Potomac, FSS, or center will have a problem with that. Good catch guys, I certainly was heading for certificate action. :dunno:

Ron Levy said:
Your statement assumes Potomac does things without coordinating with Huntress, an assumption I know and can prove is wrong -- just call the supervisor station at Potomac TRACON. (540) 349-7526.

I made no such claim. I merely refuted your claim that Huntress only knows what Potomac approach tells them. That statement is false, you have no basis to make it, and you really should desist from making such total BS statements.

flyingcheesehead said:
Victor,

There's no reason for the condescending attitude. You and Ron are absolutely right that currently you can get away with it.

Ed's point, and he is right also, is that if they change their mind tomorrow (stupider things have happened, like the existence of the ADIZ in the first place), that you will not have a leg to stand on at your hearing.
Except that it will be on the ATC tapes that you were operating in a manner that complied with ATC's instruction.

Greebo said:
Except that it will be on the ATC tapes that you were operating in a manner that complied with ATC's instruction.

Oh, THAT doesn't save a pilots ass either. I'm sure Ron has a ruling somewhere that shows the pilot still has final responsiblity regardless of what ATC tells them.

All this reminds me of the days under the earlier ADIZ NOTAM where you had to close flight plans on the ground - yet ATC accepted and encouraged cancellations of IFR in the air, as long as you stayed on squawk until you were on the ground.....

you've provided a perfect example of "malicious compliance"....

It's a bad NOTAM. It needs to be emended (not amended).

flyifrvfr said:
You guys are right, I can't speak for Ron, but I can speak for me. I will file multiple ADIZ flightplans when I do the approach at KDMW and the winds aloft will push me into the ADIZ. I usually have my student do two partial panel VOR approaches there, and I have them hold until they can make the inbound leg on the hold exactly one minute. This is in my best interest because the VOR is only 3 miles from the ADIZ and the outbound leg can easily reach into the ADIZ.

I figure abiding by the strict reading of the notam, I will need to file atleast 10 ADIZ flightplans, and get 10 different squawk codes for this fight. I don't think Potomac, FSS, or center will have a problem with that. Good catch guys, I certainly was heading for certificate action. :dunno:

Steve said:
you've provided a perfect example of "malicious compliance"....

It's a bad NOTAM. It needs to be emended (not amended).

That was sarcasmn Steve. I am not going to change what works because Ed thinks the FBI/CIA/FAA/HLS/DOD/DOJ/SPCA is going to get me. The ADIZ is flypaper only if you don't know how to operate within it.

whew...glad you clarified that...I guess I get to stay on the access list for CGS now.

flyifrvfr said:
That was sarcasmn Steve. I am not going to change what works because Ed thinks the FBI/CIA/FAA/HLS/DOD/DOJ/SPCA is going to get me. The ADIZ is flypaper only if you don't know how to operate within it.

Back